Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your worst personal expericene with pain

Your worst personal expericene with pain (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 01:35 PM

one word "Hot Corners"

wait, thats totally two words.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
one word "Hot Corners"

wait, thats totally two words.
You need to stop hogging that thing and pass it over.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 01:43 PM

I usually don't share with serial killers.

You have to promise that if you do kill me, don't drill my teeth before killing me.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 01:59 PM

Tooth pain, approx. a year ago. The tooth is SEVERELY destroyed, but the main nerv loops around the root and if it's pulled, it may lead to numbness in my left lower jaw. Additionally, there is one angled nerv canal in that very tooth, and so the nerv can't be pulled completely, resulting in heavy nerv-inflammation every 6-8 weeks. But it is less painful every time it re-occurs. The first time I was short before killing myself, since it inflicted a pain that went from my head through my whole body. That's no joke.

If you are interested how damaged the tooth is, look at this pic. I have to admit that I'm asking myself why I never had that idea (takin a photo of it) earlier. I have never seen it myself that way before, it's disgusting.

Pic (warning: disgusting)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 02:06 PM

Also once when getting a large cavity drilled the Dentist cerntainly hit a live wire, I almost leapt out of the seat.

It must suck to be a Dentist, I mean who else is the most commonly hated person you see on a regular basis?

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 02:10 PM

Actually my dentist is cool. Funny as all get out. His assistant makes for good eye candy to keep your mind off it

I used to have a dentist that used Nitrous to calm down the patients.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 02:11 PM

Dry socket when I had 4 wisdom teeth taken out. Major pain.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 02:14 PM

1) Dislocating my shoulder the second time. First time I didn't feel much because of shock. The second time, as I was putting on a shirt to go to the emergency room, it popped out and I dropped down to the floor, curled up in a fetal position and started crying. On top of the pain of taking everything in your shoulder and stretching it in ways it was never meant to stretch there is the sickening feeling of the tendons stretching and popping as they slide over irregularities in the bone. Feels like someone's twisting your arm off.

2) Had a root canal at 18. Did the first visit, where they drill into the canals and inject something which is supposed to kill the nerves, seal it up and wait two weeks. The idea is that the nerves die, so when you come back the dentist can just remove them and you feel no pain. For some reason one of the nerves wasn't dead, so the dentist yanked about an eighth of an inch of live nerve tissue out of my mouth. It hurt so bad it went beyond pain into synesthesia: I saw this blinding, white flash, all the muscles in my body twitched – jumped about six inches off the chair using just my butt muscles. When I landed back in the chair I was covered in sweat from head to toe and was in full fight or flight mode. The only good thing was that I wasn't expecting the pain.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 02:24 PM

i broke my fibula my freshman year of college. i tried to skate down a set of 5 stairs, made it down, and placed my right leg on the ground to stabilize myself. when i did that, my whole leg rotated 270 degrees, snapping my fibula in 3 places.

the part of my fibula still connected to my ankle shot through my leg, protruding out ~1/5 inch. the 2 other pieces of my fibula that were broken stayed inside.

i have really good pain tolerance, but this really, really sucked.

all 3 breaks were very clean, and with a minor surgery, i was good as new.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 02:35 PM

like others here, i'm giving the migraine the trophy. it wins, by far, over the sprains, concussions, dislocations, separations, stab wounds, cuts, dental problems and blunt force trauma that i've experienced.

i had an ocular migraine a few years back that i'd rather not experience again. it starts with a kind of eye twitch (in only one eye). you feel as if someone is pushing your eyeball from inside your head. it starts to ache, stabbing pulses of pain punctuating it periodically. then you feel the headache approaching on just one side of your head. it increases in intensity until you're gritting your teeth, trying to will it to stop. then, the weird stuff begins.
the opposite half of your body (from your eye and headache) starts to feel strange. it tingles as if being pricked by a thousand tiny needles. then the numbness sets in. one entire side of your body seems to have been drained of normal sensation, as if the other side was sucking it all up trying to combat the pain. your stomach aches (altho i managed not to throw up), just to get in on the whole body discomfort theme. the migraine has gotten so strong that you're having trouble concentrating. mild hallucinations appear before your eyes. dots and blurriness obscure your vision, encouraging you even further to keep your eyes tightly shut.
you somehow make it to your bed, your brain screaming for relief. the only thought you're able to muster is one of wonder. you wonder if, among all this, you should even try to sleep. you wonder if you'll wake up if you do. you wonder if death is the only thing that can make it all stop. you lay there, in complete darkness, in complete silence, hoping that something takes this all away from you.

so yeah, that sucked.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 21, 2005, 02:36 PM

pansie.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 02:43 PM

Tooth Aches and migraines usually go hand in hand. At least with me.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 02:47 PM

My wife has serious migraines as well... stems from her Pseudo Tumor Cerebre, it's all pressure based on her Cerebral Spinal Fluid, which is then controlled by taking a drug that is normally used for Altitude Sickness.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by EdGein
Actually my dentist is cool. Funny as all get out. His assistant makes for good eye candy to keep your mind off it
Ha, that reminds me.. Back when I had braces in the 8th grade, the orthodontist had a hot lab assistant. She would always press her boobs up against the side of my face as she was reaching for the tray of tools. Maybe I should have tipped her.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 04:18 PM

WARNING: GROSS PICTURES LINKED HERE. IF YOU HAVE A WEAK HEART OR STOMACH DO NOT TICK THIS LINK!

http://www.worldortho.com/database/e...uma/et018.html

Just do a "compound fracture" search in Google, and then tick the images tab... oh my god, there is a "pelvis" photo that was disgusting.

Go to the main page, and you'll see worse. \

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 04:46 PM

Two things stick out in my mind. One was when I was hit in the knee by a baseball while playing catcher as a kid. The shin guard was too big and it slipped down as I dropped to stop a low pitch and WHAM! The ball hit me on the left knee between the kneecap and the left knob of my femur. The impact shot tingles through my whole leg and up my left side as I fell over, and then the real pain started. I remember my dad running over and easing my mask off, tears already welling up in my eyes but the pain was so bad at that point that I couldn't even cry. My head just dropped to the sand and I lay there until they picked me up and sat me on the bench. My knee wasn't actually injured according to the X-ray but I had a massive bruise that stayed for over a month.

A recurring horrible pain is canker sores. If you get anything acidic or salty on those things they can bring tears to your eyes. It's the worst sting I think you can feel when all those nerves around your lip are firing in a spot less than half a centimeter wide.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

storer
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by EdGein
I know women that have had kids that have said they would rather go threw labor than some of the tooth pain they have had.
My mother says labor wasn't painful at all. She had two kids. She doesn't tell people it wasn't painful in public, because most women hate her for it. She says it "just didn't hurt" and she doesn't know what all the fuss is about. She must have got it easy.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by storer
My mother says labor wasn't painful at all. She had two kids. She doesn't tell people it wasn't painful in public, because most women hate her for it. She says it "just didn't hurt" and she doesn't know what all the fuss is about. She must have got it easy.
Make sure you say "You're welcome" to her on your birthday!

I have a female friend who has kidney stone problems, and was not as lucky as storer's mom in the childbirth department. She says categorically that she'd rather deliver a BIG baby naturally-without any anesthesia-than deal with another kidney stone. Another friend-a male-not only went through passing a stone, he'd passed others in the past and so he decided to "tough it out." Untill he passed out from the pain. OxyContin is pretty strong stuff-didn't phase him at first. He spent about two weeks in the hospital and another three or four convalescing.

I should also have mentioned a very temporary, though very profound form of pain: after PRK surgery, I woke up that afternoon with DRY eyes. PRK uses a laser to shape the outside of the cornea, which is very sensitive to start with. Dry eyes right after PRK is a Very BAD Thing. Fortunately I had these marvelous numbing drops that act Right Away. After that, my wife made sure I did all my meds at the correct time, drowsey or not.

My wife's migranes were entirely stress-related. At one point in nursing school she had some really bad ones very frequently. The doc prescribed a drug used for high blood pressure. My wife's BP is typically down around "Are You OK?!?!, so this was pretty odd sounding. The doc said that hers were "rebound pressure" triggered; as she finished a stressful situation, her cerebral blood vessels would relax too much and the brain would tip over into migrane mode. By using a low dose of a drug to modify the tone of the blood vessels' muscular walls, he was able to keep the "release" from being either too quick or too much, and that controlled the headaches. Graduating cured her, flat out. When she went back for her advanced degree, the coursework was more involved, but it wasn't nearly as stressful, and she didn't have any headaches the whole time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 07:28 AM

Never managed any evil tooth probs, but hotglue burns suck ass.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 22, 2005, 08:19 AM

Does my wife win something? I think she's had you all beat.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 08:30 AM

Gum infection becoming unbearable - hit it with 600mg of ibuprofen, which did absolutely nothing. Off down the doc's for some anti-bio's in a couple hours.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Gum infection becoming unbearable - hit it with 600mg of ibuprofen, which did absolutely nothing. Off down the doc's for some anti-bio's in a couple hours.

Hopefully he will give you some Vic 5/500s

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2005, 09:31 AM

Zimph. Looks like you just posted in this thread (post showing on main page but nothing in thread). I think they have you on global ignore or something.

MorningStar
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:44 AM

Yeah you are right. Oh well. I'll just make more accounts. No big deal.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 22, 2005, 09:45 AM

Whoa.. Global Ignore.... <bowing>

MorningStar
Banned
Jul 22, 2005, 09:46 AM

I tried to reason with tooki

budster101
Baninated
Jul 22, 2005, 09:49 AM

<insert> Charlie Chan Anecdotal Quotation Here </insert>

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2005, 06:28 PM

i guess i have never really had any bad pain since i can't remember. root canal i guess - when they jam that needle way up your tooth....that kind of hurt even with novocaine. other then that just basic whip-outs on the bike, or when i got elbowed in the eye playing basketball in high school.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 07:08 PM

I had some reconstructive jaw surgery when I was in high school, I guess I'm in the dental crowd for extreme pain. I broke my right hand playing softball and didn't get it looked at for about 24 hours at which time I was in way more pain than I could have ever imagined. I got lucky and didn't need screws in my hand although I have 5 of them in my jaw. A couple times I have felt like there was a train on my chest and that would literally take me to my knees. I went to the hospital, got some chest x-rays, and never found out why it felt like I was smacked with a baseball bat.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Never managed any evil tooth probs, but hotglue burns suck ass.
LOL I remember when I was little I would stick my finger in some hot glue... cause then I could peel it off after it dried and I would have this cool fingerprinty thing. Pissed the hell outta my parents!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2005, 08:27 PM

I've got a freakishly high tolerance for pain. I'm not just saying that, I can handle a lot without much problem. I've only had novocain to get a tooth drilled once, when I was 13, and I never used it again (I've got 10 fillings). I sliced my elbow to the bone about a month ago, and when I went to get it stitched, I honestly gave them a zero on the pain scale. I've been both shot and the lucky recipient of shrapnel wounds while in the service of Mother Green's Mean Machine, and I get the odd migraine now and then. I've broke plenty of bones, including a nice crack on the ol' head bone once. Oh, and my dog once ripped out my nipple ring while I was sleeping. With all that, the only thing that has really made me wish someone would pull the plug and just end it was... a goddamn kidney stone.

I've never experienced anything like it, and I sure as hell don't want to ever experience anything like it again. I was in so much pain I was throwing up, and they wouldn't give me anything for it because they had to rule out appendicitis first. It was a pretty terrible ordeal, and I've never been so relieved as when that nurse walked in with two syringes, loaded with demerol, the other with morphine. Wasn't too bad after that.
Nemo me impune lacesset

storer
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 09:20 PM

Wow. Thats terrible. Thinkinsane alright.

ender2002
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 10:30 PM

having plantar warts removed from my feet when i was eight years old.

the doctor would first freeze them with liquid nitrogen which felt like a hot flaming wooden spoke was being jammed into my foot. the day after he would remove them, but with anesthesia.

on the same level was having one of the top's my fingers twisted completely at a 90º angle. my ring finger, top joint, twisted perpendicular. i remember looking at it and snapping it back into place and then laughing hysterically for about an hour. after getting xrays they put two pins in my finger for 6 weeks with a full arm cast. fun times.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 22, 2005, 10:43 PM

I had severe ingroan toenails when I was younger and a wrestler... painful as heck, went to a doctor to have my two big toenails chopped to insure this would never happen again... I bled like crazy, he almost couldn't stop the blood flow... Scared the hell out of me, but he did eventually stop the bleeding, and I've never gotten one again. Caulliflour (sp) ears also had to be drained for a while every month... yuck.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 10:47 PM

Worst that I can remember was my pulmonary embolism last year. The singularly most intense pain in my life - I couldn't stand upright for several hours after the clot must have actually lodged. You know things are messed up when you go to the doctor, have a chest X-Ray, and notice one whole lobe of your lung isn't showing up. It was a full 8-10 days before the pain fully receded.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kvasir
Worst that I can remember was my pulmonary embolism last year. The singularly most intense pain in my life - I couldn't stand upright for several hours after the clot must have actually lodged. You know things are messed up when you go to the doctor, have a chest X-Ray, and notice one whole lobe of your lung isn't showing up. It was a full 8-10 days before the pain fully receded.
You're lucky to be alive. Most times, you throw an embolism, that's all she wrote.
Nemo me impune lacesset

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 12:43 AM

When I was 19 I figured out that I can dislocate my ankle by twisting it and pushing my foot back (my bed's too short and I spent all my money on a new laptop instead, so my feet are up against the rail).

First, it feels like the above description of your foot cramping up, but it's a LOT worse than a cramp (and those are bad enough as well.) My foot will get stuck facing inward and it looks like it's broken in half (you know on Day of the Dead with the guy walking ON his ankle [not his foot, but broken in hafl]... yeah, it's like that) First I spend about 5 minutes creaming, then I slowly get out of bed and onto the floor. I have to lay on my side so my foot is flat on the ground, then lean up against the wall and push really hard and try to stand up while keeping my foot flat on the ground.

Although no one else says they can hear it (I think the noise just travels up my bones) but I can "hear" the bone scraping until it goes back into the joint. It jitters, then pops back in. The annoyance in the sound is akin to nails on chalkboard.

But anyway, I have to work at it for about 2 minutes after the screaming. Then after that, my ankle swells up like a watermellon and it hurts for 2 weeks.

The problem is that I do it about once every few months when I'm tired and not paying attention to what I'm doing with my foot on the bed rail.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by MorningStar
Yeah you are right. Oh well. I'll just make more accounts. No big deal.
Zimphire? Interesting that you picked Lucifer for your name
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 01:28 AM

severe 2nd degree burns on my right leg. The gift that keeps on giving.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 02:52 AM

My weird stomachache.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
But anyway, I have to work at it for about 2 minutes after the screaming. Then after that, my ankle swells up like a watermellon and it hurts for 2 weeks.

The problem is that I do it about once every few months when I'm tired and not paying attention to what I'm doing with my foot on the bed rail.
Advice from someone who had to have a shoulder reconstructed because of multiple dislocations: stop that! Get yourself to an ankle specialist right now, because the surgery ain't fun.

And you're right about the feeling when it pops back in: it's the tendons stretching and traveling over irregularities on the bone.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2005, 03:24 AM

A couple years ago I was doing a long gig (I'm a trumpet player), and went to tack on a high note at the end of the second set, after my chops were long gone. I jammed the horn up to my face, and when I tried to get it, I got this HORRID shooting pain in my neck and back that felt like I was being electrocuted...the sharpest, most excruciating pain I've experienced. Then (luckiliy) I blacked out. When I came to, I felt fine.

I probably shoulda seen a doctor about it, as I probably dicked something up real good, but I'm still okay to this day, so who knows...

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
You're lucky to be alive. Most times, you throw an embolism, that's all she wrote.
Yup, I know - about 10% of PE's die withing the first 60 minutes. I was lucky - only collapsed the lower lobe of my right lung. Since we never could nail down an ultimate direct cause or risk factor behind it, I'll be taking warfarin for the rest of my life, just as insurance.

It did finally force me to get a regular primary care physician, and hence did pick up on some other risk factors that I do have a strong family history of - ie. heart attacks. So I'm now also on meds to deal with insanely high triglycerides. Loosing your yout' can be a pain, literally

Word of caution, if you ever feel an unbelievably intense, sudden, pain in your chest, and it's not near your heart (sides of rib cage, for example), pop a couple of extra-strength aspirin right away, dial 911, and tell them you need heparin pronto!

budster101
Baninated
Jul 23, 2005, 10:55 AM

Just recently I bit into a slice of pizza and the tomatoe sauce burned away the first layer of skin on my lower lip, inside and out... did'nt hurt as bad as I would have thought it would... (Check off one thing not to ever do again.) BTDT.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 11:42 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Bloody stupid country!

Penicillin is causing warfare in my mouth. Two hours off my next dose of ibuprofen (which means I'm three hours off my next pain reduction hit). Co-Codamol didn't work at all. Need some *caine. Can I get it? No. It's 4:40pm on a Saturday afternoon and all the pharmacies are closed.

If you're going to be sick in Britain, make sure you only do it during office hours.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 11:59 AM

I can't believe no one has had BACK PAIN. My got so bad a couple of years ago that I couldn't get out of bed. I tried to get to the bathroom and the pain shot through my entire body and my knees buckled and I hit the floor. The bed being closer I crawled back there instead. Oxycontin wasn't touchin it this time. When my roomate came home 4 hours later, I finally got an ambulance to the hospital where they shot me up with all kinds of stuff. Upon release a few hours later, I tried to get in the car and again hit the ground. I have since had spinal fusion and hope I NEVER experience that again.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 23, 2005, 12:10 PM

I had back pain, forgot about that. My lowe back gave out and I hit the deck. I couldn't get up to save my life... let alone roll over. It was terrible. I managed to get up and then hit the deck again. Talk about more frustrating than painful, because of the spasms...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
I had back pain, forgot about that. My lowe back gave out and I hit the deck. I couldn't get up to save my life... let alone roll over. It was terrible. I managed to get up and then hit the deck again. Talk about more frustrating than painful, because of the spasms...
I guess it's a mental block-I forgot about mine too. A serious spasm somewhere near the base of the spine-it seems to pinch a bunch of nerves, too-gets me from time to time. It makes me walk like I have scoliosis, I can't sit at all, and there are other bad impacts as well. It's painful just to exist, but if I try to stand up quickly, OH MY GOD! I have become lightheaded from that pain...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 12:32 PM

I've had back pain too. But since I actually like back pain (even the pass-out and collapse stuff) and the thread is called "your worst personal experience..." I'm sticking with past removed heel and current dental.

michaeljohn63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 11:41 PM

The Worst:

When I was 17 (24 years ago), a kid accidentally shot a bottle rocket (a firework that essentially shoots into the air and then explodes--think firecracker on a flying stick) into my eye, dead on. I started screaming. My friends looked at my face, once they got me to the ground, and couldn't figure out the pain because as far as they could tell, I had a small sulfur burn on my face. When I got to the hospital, and they looked into my eye, they realized that the force of the bottle rocket had split open the back of my eyeball like a broken egg, also partially detaching the optic nerve. To make matters worse, the firecracker exploded right on the surface of my cornea, cinging the outside of my eyeball itself, and shredding the lens (I mean MY lens, no contacts). They had to put my head in a brace and do a saline drip to remove all the little burnt crap out of my eyeball.

Okay, now here's the worst part: NO PAIN KILLERS! They said they couldn't give me pain killers because it might cause more harm to the optic nerve.

A close second:

Much more recently, just last year, I had pain so bad, the pain itself almost made me vomit. It actually started several years ago when I herneated (slipped) a disk in my lower back, which ended up ripping some kind of fiber that held it in, and they cannot repair the fibers. So, every few years, if I am not careful, I slip it again. Well, last fall, I was trying to bring my large (100 pound) dog into the house on his leash. He is afraid of stairs (its a thing with collies), so instead of coming up the stairs into the house, he bolted down into the basement, yanking me with him. I tumbled down, doubled over onto my head. I was stiff and sore for the rest of the day. The next day, I got up from bed, walked about 4 steps toward the bathroom, braced myself, and started to heave because of the pain. I made it to the bathroom, and proceeded to stay in bed for the next 3 days.
[FONT=Garamond]Imagine no religion.[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules