Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Boot OS 9 on eMac G4 1.2?

Boot OS 9 on eMac G4 1.2?
pb2ya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 10:03 PM

I have a PowerMac G4 OS 9 install disc, does anyone know if this is possible? I'm pretty sure its possible, I guess what I'm asking for is a workaround... this would be easily possible, but apple put a boot block for anything but OS X cd's on the newer models.
Ive also seen the compatibility table, it says that a 9.2 disc is not bootable on my model, funny that the guy on tech support tried to sell me one :|
Theres a couple things I've tried already, one was to copy the system folder and applications from the 9 disc to a separate partition, then delete the OS X partition... didnt work >_<
Theres another one explaining how to burn a HFS+ bootable disc with some unix program... but it was pretty vague and I couldnt get through it >_<

anyways, I need to give the disc back in a day or two so I need help as fast as possible. Its 9.1 btw, but if I have to buy one, I probably will.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2004, 10:43 PM

The eMac 1.25s are incapable of running OS 9. I have yet to see anybody discover a work around. Nor have I heard of anybody working on a work around.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pb2ya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 11:10 PM

incapable or runningp os 9, or booting from the cd?
I really dont know enough about this kind of stuff to be saying anything, but I'm going to keep trying to find a way to do this...
a lot of PPC linux distros are able to boot off of burnt discs, maybe the same technique could be used to make a bootable OS 9 cd? yaboot might be able to be used for this?
again, I really dont know much about this, sorry if I just said something really stupid.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jun 9, 2004, 09:05 AM

there are no OS 9 drivers for DDR Ram or the newest video card. so even if you could boot from a cd you'd have no video and no ram

pb2ya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 04:54 PM

dosen't the eMac 700 mhz use a new video card and ddr ram? I've heard its OS 9-bootable... too bad they discontinued the model.
Nevermind though, I'm going to dual boot OS X and Mandrake, then use Mac-on-Linux to run OS 9 fullscreen

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 06:39 PM

just for refrence the emac 1.25 was the first emac to use DDR and the radeon 9200

the 1ghz used SDRAM and Radeon 7200

Forum Links
Forum Rules