Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connect Airport without logging in?

Connect Airport without logging in?
CkB_Cowboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 10:54 PM

Is it possible to have my mac connect to my Airport base station automatically, when it boots up?

I've got an Aluminum G4 Powerbook running Panther, and have both built-in Airport and ethernet.

Basically, I'd like to be able to have a cron job I've set up (that needs net access) be able to actually access the net without having logged in.

Right now, if I have it hooked up to the ethernet, it will connect there automatically, and I can SSH in... but sometimes I don't have a wired connection.. you know?

Is this possible?

- Cowboy
My ill-matic homepage:
http://rj3.net/
cowboy/

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 10, 2004, 02:34 PM

If you check the checkbox to add your Airport password to the Keychain, then it will connect to the wireless automatically.

Mac OS X will automatically go down the list of available network interfaces and use the first one that is working. By default, Ethernet is before Airport, so if you're plugged into ethernet, it'll use that, if you're not, it'll automatically use the Airport (so long as you let it store the password so it can connect without your intervention).

tooki

CkB_Cowboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 05:14 PM

Hmmn..

The wireless network I am connecting to doesn't use a password.

When I login to OS X, the Airport already connects automatically if it's available. Since I don't have a wire at work, just the Airport is available, so that works without a problem.

Airport doesn't connect, however, before I have logged in. Ethernet will connect before I have logged in, if it's available.. but Airport doesn't seem to.

I need it to connect at boot, before any user has logged in. That way, my cron job will be successful whether a user has logged in or not.

- Cowboy
My ill-matic homepage:
http://rj3.net/
cowboy/

Forum Links
Forum Rules