Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > firewire problems

firewire problems
davidmelvin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 10:52 AM

i seem to have trouble getting my firewire drive to show up on the desktop of my powerbook, especially running OS X.

I want to use the drive for storing music, so i want iTunes to rip the cd straight onto the firewire drive, but the drive will only show up maybe 1 time in 10 attempts, and when it does, it tends to freeze iTunes when i try to change the default destination for ripping files to.

what is the best way to connect the drive to the laptop. should i start with both powered up and then attach them, attach the disk then power the laptop?

suggestions welcome.

VRL
Senior User
Nov 27, 2001, 07:07 AM

What type of firewire drive?

Are you using 10.1.1?

What type of laptop? G3 w/firewire? G4?

Our VST drive mounts every time (G3 with Firewire 2 Go card/G4 TiBook). With my G3, we must use an external power supply, but with firewire enabled G4, it isn't necessary to plug in the drive - just connect the firewire cable.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

davidmelvin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2001, 09:10 AM

actually it's fine now. i reformatted the drive as Mac OS Standard as opposed to the Mac OS extended and it seems to be fine now.

Pbook G3 Pismo 500 with a Fujitsu 20gb hardrive in an IceCube firewrie case. I would recommend the case to anyone who wants to utilise a 3.5" hard disk. I got mine from www.span.com in the UK and they delivered the next day. the case looks really good and now it works a treat too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules