Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Removing Classic - what is the easiest way

Removing Classic - what is the easiest way
bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 12:18 PM

Hello,
I recently switched to mac from PC. I have absolutely NO use for Classic. Is it advisabe to remove it from my system?

If the answer is yes - please could someone tell me what is the easiest way? I don't want to reformat my HD, as i have already transferred my files over to it.

Thanks,
BKB.

kaibutsu3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 12:34 PM

check the "real world comparison" thread,
i think they discussed how to remove classic so you might find what you need here

hope this helps

kai

bkb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by kaibutsu3:
check the "real world comparison" thread,
i think they discussed how to remove classic so you might find what you need here

hope this helps

kai
Hi,
This doesn't help. They only discuss how to remove it on the first time bootup. How about once you've started using the computer. Any ideas?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by bkb:
Hi,
This doesn't help. They only discuss how to remove it on the first time bootup. How about once you've started using the computer. Any ideas?

Drag into trash. Delete.

todrain
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 02:41 PM

Delete the System Folder (not system... the one with the 9 on it) as well as Applications (OS9) and documents.

Classic will be gone!

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 03:38 PM

go into the terminal
type :

sudo -s PRESS RETURN
ENTER YOUR PASSWORD

then type

rm - r DON'T PRESS RETURN YET, DRAG THE FILES YOU WANT TO ERASE ONTO THE TERMINAL then press enter.

wait a few seconds.. you should see the files disappear. then type EXIT

type EXIT again
quit application
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

michael_on_mac
Oct 6, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:

rm - r DON'T PRESS RETURN YET, DRAG THE FILES YOU WANT TO ERASE ONTO THE TERMINAL then press enter.

wait a few seconds.. you should see the files disappear. then type EXIT
Uhh, could you clarify which files? System folder, OS9 apps folder and documents, that's it?

BTW: it's rm -r <files>
no space between "-" and "r"

Thx,
Michael.
12" Al PB Rev. B, SD, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB disk, OS X 10.3.1. IBM TP A30p with Linux 2.4.20 for serious stuff ;-)

bkb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by todrain:
Delete the System Folder (not system... the one with the 9 on it) as well as Applications (OS9) and documents.

Classic will be gone!
This seems to me to be the easiest way to do it. Will this acutally remove Classic? How about the Classic menu in system prefs?

bkb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by michael_on_mac:
Uhh, could you clarify which files? System folder, OS9 apps folder and documents, that's it?

BTW: it's rm -r <files>
no space between "-" and "r"

Thx,
Michael.
What is the point in using the terminal instead of dragging straight into the trash?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 10:06 PM

No need to scare the fellow with CLI. Just drag the OS 9 System Folder and the Applications (OS 9) folder into the trash, and delete. There's nothing else to it.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 10:40 PM

I have tried deleting Classic from my brother's iMac. Dragging it to the trash or deleting it does not work. Try it for yourself, the system will not let you. There are ways but dragging it to the trash or simply deleting it does not work. Sorry, I wish it were that easy. I, for one, chose not to install it. But my brother's computer came with Classic preinstalled. He doesn't use it and I'm not comfortable going into the terminal to mess with it. We're gonna wait until Panther to do a clean install. I figure it'll just be a little bit longer.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 12:48 AM

Make sure you aren't booted up in OS9 when you throw it away - duh.

THEN TROW A-WAY!

It's not a pc.. it's easy.

TROW AWAY! TROW AWAY!
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:
Make sure you aren't booted up in OS9 when you throw it away - duh.

THEN TROW A-WAY!

It's not a pc.. it's easy.

TROW AWAY! TROW AWAY!

OSX will not let you throw it away either. The OS9 folder is owned by root. On older systems you could boot into OS9 from the CD and then delete, but the newer macs can not do this anymore.

You could select "get info" on the OS9 folder and change the owner to yourself before dragging to the trash. You would have to make sure all of the enclosing items were also changed.

The other option is to use a program like BatChmod to change the permissions before deleting the folders.

Hope this helps
climber

Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 02:17 AM

This is what was posted before, but I will simplify.. and I guaratee that it will remove classic from your computer.

In the applications folder at the root of your hard drive, open the utilities folder, and then open the terminal application. You'll be presented with some text that looks some thing like "Welcome to Darwin".

Anyways, type this exactly:

sudo rm -rf System\ Folder

Press enter.
It will ask for your password, enter it. Press enter. (the \ is not a mistake)

You will not see anything for a while (like for quite some time actually), when it's done you'll get a new line of text.

At this point you can quit the terminal application, and classic will have been removed.

If you haven't changed the name of "System Folder" this will work, if you have, replace "System Folder" with something else. You will have to place a '\' before any spaces though. Also, be sure not to enter "System" by it's self, because "System" is Mac OS X.

bkb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
We're gonna wait until Panther to do a clean install. I figure it'll just be a little bit longer.
This makes the most sense to me so far. I've heard that Panther uses a new file system and will therefore REQUIRE a clean install. Please could someone verify this.

Thanks.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 11:08 AM

My classic system folder is not owned by root. It's owned by me. (And I haven't changed that either)

'sides, even if it is owned by root, couldn't you just get info on it and change the ownership to yourself?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

michael_on_mac
Oct 7, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
My classic system folder is not owned by root. It's owned by me. (And I haven't changed that either)

'sides, even if it is owned by root, couldn't you just get info on it and change the ownership to yourself?
Hm, what's the point?

root can do it..!

Being root, you can delete whatever you like - that way, you could even get a persuasive reason why to reinstall your OS

Ah, for the ownership, the command (in the terminal) should be:

chown -R user:group /directory

-R means recursive, so for /directory and all its files and sub-dirs

Best, Michael.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 11:33 AM

I wouldnt bother deleting OS9 - it only takes up 1 gig of disk space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules