Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cell Phones

Cell Phones
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2006, 01:19 AM

Look, I think I'm pretty good with technology stuff compared to the average person (probably not so good compared to the people that frequent this establishment).

Point is, I no crap about cell phones.

I use Verizon. I want a new phone. I can get a new cell phone because they offer a free upgrade after a year, but that would also extend my contract another year.

I hate the contract.

If I pay full price, I can switch my cell phone any time without adding another year correct? I don't know if 100 bucks off a phone or whatever they give me is worth being tied down to a contract.

I always wait until I can get a phone for free, but I think now maybe that's a stupid way to go about it just in case I ever want to switch carriers.

Say the iPhone comes out only on Cingular and T-Mobile, I will most likely jump ship to get one.

With this in mind, besides buying directly from Verizon, where can I get a cell phone that will work with Verizon service?

How do you know if a phone you buy without a contract, will work with your carrier? Does it say it on the site.

Can you find a phone that the store may never offer, but can be configured to work with your carrier?

Thanks. I'm really stupid when it comes to cell phones as I've had 2 over the past few years.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 01:43 AM

I know verizon has certain authorized 'outlet' stores that sell phones that work with verizon...that's where I got my Nokia 6256i that doesn't have verizon's crappy UI or bluetooth lockdown.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 06:10 AM

I read somewheres that the iPhone, IF it comes out, will be for CDMA AND GSM networks. I'll bite.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 01:06 AM

Any more help?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 01:13 AM

Verizon uses CDMA phones, T-Mobile and Cingular use GSM. So you need to be sure you get a CDMA phone, which, in the US, pretty much means a Verizon one. I'm not sure if CDMA phones from other countries will necessarily be compatible because some will use SIM cards and some won't. If what you're looking for is flexibility in phones you should switch to T-Mobile and buy unlocked GSM phones online. One good source: MyWorldPhone.com - Cellular phones, gsm unlocked phones, world phones and a full line of accessories

I really hope the rumors of a CDMA iPhone are true. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to jump ship to T-Mobile or (more likely) Cingular just for a phone.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 03:16 PM

Thanks nonhuman. It seems that Verizon has the best overall service. I hope the iPhone works for all carriers and changes the way phone makers deal with cell phone companies.

I'm tired of all this stuff. I have no choice which cable provider I get. I can buy whatever DVD player I want, or TV, but so many choices are limited and that is annoying.

Give us choice and good service.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mallrat View Post
Thanks nonhuman. It seems that Verizon has the best overall service. I hope the iPhone works for all carriers and changes the way phone makers deal with cell phone companies.

I'm tired of all this stuff. I have no choice which cable provider I get. I can buy whatever DVD player I want, or TV, but so many choices are limited and that is annoying.

Give us choice and good service.
I agree. In my experience Verizon has by far the best service. I just wish my CDMA Verizon phone would work in more places internationally. It's completely useless in Europe.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 03:57 PM

Basically, Verizon is going to be the only company that sells phones that work on their network.

If you use either T-Mobile or Cingular, you can use any unlocked GSM phone that works on the frequencies in your area. Right now, I'm using a Toshiba 904T from Japan with GSM and W-CDMA on T-Mobile in the US.

T-Mobile is also a good bit cheaper than Verizon, and I haven't had any problems with their service, although I'll admit Verizon has *way* better coverage in rural areas. If you mainly stay in big cities or along major interstates, though, T-Mobile's coverage will be fine. Their international coverage is great, too. Just take your phone to pretty much any country on the planet with a very few exceptions (Japan and South Korea being two notable ones) and you'll be able to make calls with no additional hassle. Great if you travel overseas a lot.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 05:37 AM

I read that a ruling on 22 November this year that it was perfectly legal to unlock your cell phone so you can use it on another carrier. And Motorola and Nokia are selling unlocked cell phones in the US now.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
I read that a ruling on 22 November this year that it was perfectly legal to unlock your cell phone so you can use it on another carrier. And Motorola and Nokia are selling unlocked cell phones in the US now.

It has always been legal to unlock your cell phone. Sometimes the providers don't like to do it for you though. It can be done outside of them. The common misconception is that you can take your Verizon phone, have it unlocked, and use it on T-Mobile. That won't work, Verizon is CDMA, and T-Mobile is GSM. Really the only phones that can be unlocked are GSM providers, such as T-Mobile, Cingular, and local GSM companies.

Verizon = CDMA = no SIM
Sprint = CDMA = no SIM
Altell = CDMA = no SIM
Cingular = GSM = SIM
T-Mobile = GSM = SIM
Nextel = IDEN = SIM

You might be able to take a Sprint phone and use it on Verizon, but I know for a fact that you cannot take a Verizon phone and use it on Sprint's network. Sprint absolutely will not activate the IMEI of the Verizon phone. If you have T-Mobile, and want to switch to Cingular, you can unlock your phone and simply put the new SIM card in there. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you learn what is what, you get it.

MyWorldPhone.com - Cellular phones, gsm unlocked phones, world phones and a full line of accessories is a great site, although they only sell unlocked GSM phones, so if you have Verizon, don't even bother looking at those phones.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Forum Links
Forum Rules