Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sharing Mail database between 2 compuers

Sharing Mail database between 2 compuers
vfunct
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 08:56 PM

OK So I have a PowerBook and a PowerMac. All my mail is on my PowerMac.

What would be the best way to sync the mailboxes together? I would like to allow both computers to read from my mail server, if possible. The mail server only has 3MB of IMAP storage, though.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 12:49 AM

Syncing the saved mail ("On My Computer") will most likely end up causing problems. So, two options:
1. Hassle-free
Set up both computers for your IMAP account. IMAP mail stays on the server, so at least all your most recent mail will be available from either computer. When your IMAP account is full, archive mail to the Powermac.

2. Kinda tricky
Set up the Powermac as an IMAP server, using Postfix Enabler. Set up both your "real" IMAP account, and the Powermac account in Mail on each computer. Archive your mail not by saving to "On My Computer" folders, but to the Powermac IMAP account. That way you can access the archived mail from either machine.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 02:05 PM

If you are going to go the full route on number two, then you might as well automatically pull of of your mail from the first server (3MB on IMAP is pitiful...) onto your own server. I believe fetchmail can do this from IMAP as well, and is easily setup to run in the background.

Forum Links
Forum Rules