Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Refurbished at Online Apple Store

Refurbished at Online Apple Store
fleabag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2011, 06:47 AM

Hello to all. I am sure this is not the first time this question has been asked but since this is my first posting I was wondering if anyone has purchased a refurbished computer from the Online Apple Store. I am thinking of a iMac i3. Concerned about if it will get to me safely with out any damage mainly. Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2011, 07:29 AM

Welcome to our forums!

Apple ships all their machines in packaging that handles some serious shipping issues, whether new or refurbished. It's not like they toss it in some flimsy box with a couple styro peanuts and hope for the best-they use the same boxes that computers come from the factory in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2011, 08:38 AM

i'm still using a refurb powermac g5 w/ refurb 20" lcd i purchased back in 2004. if i recall correctly, the interior packing materials were the same as new, but the exterior box is plain. both items shipped to my home flawlessly, and the powermac actually exceeded specs from what i purchased (arrived with a larger hard drive, and better graphics card). i wouldn't hesitate to buy another refurbished apple product from the apple store.
one post closer to five stars

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2011, 10:31 AM

I had a refurbished Nano sent to me a couple weeks ago, and I accidentally used the wrong shipping address (for some reason Apple had my dorm address from 5 years ago). I've never had a company work so hard to make sure I still got my package and that I was happy with it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2011, 10:33 AM

My current machine is a refurbished MacBook Pro purchased from the online store in August. No problems whatsoever with packaging or the computer itself.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2011, 11:31 AM

I've purchased 3 laptops and 2-3 iPods from the refub site through the last 7-8 years. The shipping has always been free, well packaged, and arrived promptly. Also, I'm fairly certain that all refurb items come with a 1 year warranty. I've never had a single issue with shipping, performance of products, or appearance of any of the products I've purchased.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2011, 11:46 AM

The only difference in packaging between a refurbished and a new Apple product is that the refurbished comes in a generic brown box instead of white box with graphics. The interior packing is the same, if I recall correctly. High impact foam and inserts to keep it safe during shipping. As for the product, often you still get a new Apple product versus a used one. Many returns were impulse buy items. If it was opened and returned, they have to sell it "used," even if it wasn't even actually used.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2011, 11:50 AM

I completely forgot the iMac I picked up this year is a refurb. Which is to say, it's awesome.

fleabag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2011, 01:58 PM

Thank you all for all the responces. I most likely will go with a refurbish 21.5 i3 iMac soon at the online Apple Store.

hayesk
Jan 7, 2011, 02:22 PM

Add another vote for refurb - to me, it's just like new. I've bought several refurbs from the Apple store - never had a problem.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jan 7, 2011, 03:13 PM

I'm currently posting on a refurbished late 2008 Macbook, and have (to my shame) even dropped it on a couple occasions. But, its still chugging along as nicely as when I bought it two years ago.
are you lightfooted?

Forum Links
Forum Rules