Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow leopard: Release

Snow leopard: Release (Page 15)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Something from iTunes in September?
iTunes hardware?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
iTunes hardware?
I was thinking software features requiring 10.6

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 02:31 PM

Well, *that* would make sense, considering the majority of their user base is on XP...

(which is to say, after letting it sit a bit, that Apple's market share in the mp3 player and home market may be surprisingly high, but it's WAY not time yet to make any major iTunes feature Mac-only.)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 02:35 PM

Well, *that* would make sense, considering the majority of their user base is on XP...
Hey, thanks for the sarcasm, sorry my casual thinking didn't cover all the bases. Would you like to kick my cat while you're at it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 03:13 PM

you didn't read my addendum, did you?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:14 PM

It wasn't there when I quoted it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2009, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
ICounting up savings from the plain Macbook brings me to about $700 as well, but that price wouldn't make a splash. That's why I wonder if they aren't trying something else to get to that $500 laptop that doesn't suck.
Yeah, that's the thing with this netbook version of the MB. If you just look at savings they make when they scale it down, you end up with something which might be $300 cheaper than a MB at best, but it's still almost twice as expensive as the competition.

Sure, this would be a netbook that actually doesn't suck and it would run regular Mac OS X. But how many people would buy it if the Dell is $300 less and the regular MB is just $300 more? Probably not that many. Maybe one of the reasons Apple has been so reluctant.

One obvious way of solving that issue would be to actually replace the 13" MB with a 11" MB mini. That would also be a great way for Apple to cater to the sub-$1k notebook market. However, I'd guess the damage from then not having anything between $700/$800 and $1200 would be quite large.

I'm sure not surprised Apple hasn't made any moves so far. And I'm even more convinced now, that if they end up selling some kind of tablet/netbook/6"-gadget, it will run iPhone/iPod OS and not OS X. And FTR, let me say I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong here by Apple.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:05 AM. )

P
Aug 21, 2009, 06:40 AM

A substantial part of the price of any Mac is the included software (iLife). Cutting that could have them cut the price by a bit, but it's silly to do so: It doesn't COST Apple anything to include the software. They could do it to avoid cannibalizing the Macbook, but it would eat into their margins.

With SL and no included software, you could skip the HD and just include some flash for storage - not as an SSD, but plain flash chips if the OS was tuned to work directly against the flash on some other interface (the SSD controller is a big part of the reason SSDs cost like they do). You'd have a machine that was essentially surfing station - a big screen iPod touch with a keyboard - but with the ability to install other software. I think you could make that work at $500.

Let me be clear that I don't think that the above will happen, but experience shows that when Jobs speaks publicly like that, they're working on SOMETHING.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2009, 02:58 PM

I keep seeing numerious reports online that SL is being released Friday, August 28th. This is great news!
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2009, 09:57 PM

The audio issue I mentioned in my earlier posts is NOT -- repeat, is NOT -- related to OS X 10.6! This is GREAT news as far as the OS goes.

All I'm needing to do is replace the audio flex cable, which is now a "Known Issue" with Apple -- yet they haven't had a recall on it. Upon researching the problem, it seems there are thousands of MacBook Air users having this issue...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2009, 03:17 AM

It did sound good to me as well, so I looked around. No, you can't order without Windows. It's brand new (launched on Tuesday, I think) so probably noone has tried installing osx86 on it yet, but the graphics driver seems to be a problem. Apple never used that model. Possibly the driver for the last non-nVidia macbooks could be hacked (that was the X3100, a predecessor of sorts), but I couldn't find anyone who has done it.
At a closer look it does have its share of deficiencies. It's a Celeron 723, not a CULV Penryn (SU9300 or SU3300). That makes it cheaper for Dell, but it has only a third of the cache which will definitely be noticeable. You can't order it w/o Windows. It doesn't have Gigabit and more importantly you can't get 802.11n in there. There's not even a BTO option! Personally I'd rather have more USB that the memory reader, but it seems those damn readers are now built in everywhere. Too bad there's no option to swap the 250 GB SATA HDD for an SSD. Oh well, maybe next time.

P
Aug 23, 2009, 06:03 PM

More importantly, it's missing one core. The first piece I saw described it as a dualcore model, but it turns out that that was incorrect. Suddenly that model got much less interesting, but if I had $400 to spend and it was that or an Atom, it would be that one.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 02:33 AM

More importantly, it's missing one core.
The SU3300 is single-core too. But the Celerons are further crippled by having 2/3 of the cache removed.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Something from iTunes in September?
iTunes hardware?
Originally Posted by Dakar V
I was thinking software features requiring 10.6

iTunes 9 to allow DVD rips?

( Last edited by Simon; Aug 24, 2009 at 02:43 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 08:13 AM

Apple Store (US and international) closed.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Apple Store (US and international) closed.

I'm trembling as I type this.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 08:39 AM

Looks like it's official. August 28th!!!!

But my order still shows it's shipping in September:

( Last edited by Atheist; Aug 24, 2009 at 08:48 AM. )

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 08:46 AM

I just ordered my copy! Hoping that 10.6.0 is more stable than 10.5.0....

( Last edited by davidflas; Aug 24, 2009 at 09:20 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2009, 09:02 AM

UK Upgrade: £25
US Upgrade: $29

..lol.

Anyway, buying a family pack!

Edit: is iTunes 9 default in SL?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post

..lol.

iTunes 9 hasn't been announced.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 09:14 AM

..lol.

Uk price includes sales tax.

OreoCookie
Aug 24, 2009, 09:15 AM

I've just placed my order
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 09:44 AM

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Now claims we'll get 7GB free space instead of 6. A minor detail, but found that interesting that in 2 months' time, they managed to free up another 1GB

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Now claims we'll get 7GB free space instead of 6. A minor detail, but found that interesting that in 2 months' time, they managed to free up another 1GB
But does that mean a fresh install of Snow Leopard takes up 7GB less than a fresh install of Leopard or will an upgrade magically free up 7GB of space?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 09:58 AM

August 28th, nice! So now I'm wondering whether to get the £25 option, or to hang around a while for the Mac Box Set with the iLife and iWork 2010 editions, probably early next year. As said above, 10.6.0 might be a little, er, quirky, so hanging on might be the right thing. Possibly. Maybe...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
But my order still shows it's shipping in September:
I ordered the same $9.95 order and it still says "Ships: September". Hopefully we get it on the 28th along with everyone else.

OreoCookie
Aug 24, 2009, 11:16 AM

It is indeed the Inspiron 11z as linked by Mrjinglesusa. Nothing makes it a netbook except price and that laptops tend to start at 12" - it's just that it was referred to as one in the piece I saw introducing it.
Thanks for the link.
I've also seen Nokia's new netbook, and I must say, I like the design, the weight and the battery life (even if it it gets close to 8 hours rather than 12, that would be a big improvement). I almost never use the optical drive (I use it only for installs or for ripping CDs these days). However, looking at all the features, I think it won't be cheap
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 11:18 AM

But does that mean a fresh install of Snow Leopard takes up 7GB less than a fresh install of Leopard or will an upgrade magically free up 7GB of space?
Supposedly installing Snow Leopard will free up space, though how much depends on how many optional things you choose to install — that 7 GB number is optimistic.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 12:18 PM

In the Dev Forums, and Apple rep said very plainly that "[we] will be able to upgrade from 10A432 to the final retail release of Snow Leopard."

Take that for what it's worth...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2009, 12:29 PM

SL doesn't come with iTunes.

I think I will just buy a copy at my local Apple Store.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 12:43 PM

Awesome! Finally, an official release. And it really is the 28th. So ****ing awesome. I was so sure it would slip past August and end up at the end of September as usual.

I'll be at the Doylestown MacOutfitters Friday with bells on.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I think I will just buy a copy at my local Apple Store.
Ditto. I love getting things by mail, but you can't swing a stick around here without hitting an Apple Store, so I figure I may as well get it on my schedule.
Chuck
___

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 24, 2009, 03:31 PM

I'm ready to go!
( Last edited by LEStudios; Aug 25, 2009 at 02:15 AM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 04:07 PM

..lol.

US upgrade: 29$
CDN upgrade: 35$

according to current rate, it should be more like 31$ but anyway... *kof* rip-off!

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 05:43 PM

No details on a launch event like for past OS releases. How odd.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 06:49 PM

I saved about 18GB at work and 24GB at home. A lot of that is from the GiB -> GB conversion however

Take that for what it's worth, but the savings are real!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Awesome! Finally, an official release. And it really is the 28th. So ****ing awesome. I was so sure it would slip past August and end up at the end of September as usual.
You mean as planned?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 07:09 PM

This is meant to be a smaller release (hence the el cheapo upgrade price). But I don't remember any big events for Leopard either.
Chuck
___

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 07:21 PM

You people with 18GB Leopard installs must be installing all the printer drivers, foreign fonts and language transations. Because an install of Leopard for me was 6GB. And Snow Leopard is a little over 3GB. And that's because of the optimized code and the missing PPC binaries in the stock Apple apps.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
This is meant to be a smaller release (hence the el cheapo upgrade price). But I don't remember any big events for Leopard either.
They gave away free tshirts on launch day.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hrm, not when I went by. I walked out with Leopard and nothing else. I certainly don't recall seeing it advertised.
Chuck
___

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2009, 07:54 PM

I got a T-shirt from MacOutfitters/Computer Forum for both Leopard and Tiger. So I totally expect one for Snow Leopard, unless the release date (Which they print on the shirts) came up too fast to get shirts printed.

At Leopard we also got little stuffed Leopards. Mine is on a shelf guarding my Xbox games. At Tiger, we got a cheap plastic tiger striped watch and a burned CD with a bunch of crappy Widgets for Dashboard.

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 25, 2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Thanks for the link.
I've also seen Nokia's new netbook, and I must say, I like the design, the weight and the battery life (even if it it gets close to 8 hours rather than 12, that would be a big improvement). I almost never use the optical drive (I use it only for installs or for ripping CDs these days). However, looking at all the features, I think it won't be cheap
I'm pretty sceptical of the battery-life too, but if it's even "just" eight hours, I think I might finally have found a netbook worthy of being made into a Hackintosh. It also has an 'HD' screen -- presumably either 1366x768 or 1280x720 -- which is infinitely preferable to the kludgey 1024x600 screens on 99.9% of netbooks. (Having using Tiger extensively on my Clamshell, I don't want to go back to 600 px of vertical resolution. It might seem stupid, but the 168 makes a huge difference.)

I'm looking forward to the announcement of the full specs and -- most importantly -- the price of the Booklet at the start of September. As you say, though, it probably will be far from cheap. (I'm betting £400+ in the UK.)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 04:37 PM

Well don't know if this was mentioned but the iTunes that comes with the supposed GM 10.6 is the only app that isn't 64bit. I assume that is coming sept 9th

I'm praying they re-wrote shitty iTunes while they were at it too.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well don't know if this was mentioned but the iTunes that comes with the supposed GM 10.6 is the only app that isn't 64bit. I assume that is coming sept 9th

I'm praying they re-wrote shitty iTunes while they were at it too.
Neither is DVD Player, Podcast Capture, or Grapher.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2009, 11:26 PM

As soon as this will come out I'll be getting David Pogue's missing manual:

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Snow-Le...1256909&sr=8-1

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
But, now, it's not free shipping unless you add at least $0.01 more to the bill.
Free shipping was so slow, I cancelled my order.

I will go by an Apple Store on Fr. and be done with it. The couple of bucks more are worth not having to wait another week.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Neither is DVD Player, Podcast Capture, or Grapher.
Ya but you'd think apples most used program would be the first to be upgraded

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya but you'd think apples most used program would be the first to be upgraded
Very true. Just pointing out that iTunes wasn't the last to become 64bit

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
US upgrade: 29$
CDN upgrade: 35$

according to current rate, it should be more like 31$ but anyway... *kof* rip-off!
Umm, no.

According to Google $35 Canadian is $32.26 US. So the markup is actually 11%. Hardly a rip-off.

FTR, the markup in Europe is around 19%.

Forum Links
Forum Rules