Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 23)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2022, 08:14 AM

I'm meh on the new lockscreen. Out of the thousands of photos on my phone, it only managed to find 2 or 3 that were "acceptable." And then the weather widget is so small and image contrast so large and varying it's basically unusable.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2022, 10:24 AM

Yeah. The contrast can be annoying. It’s not bothering me too much because the widgets I picked (battery/reminders) are giving me predictable information. So, it’s not that big a deal if I can’t read them all the time.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2022, 12:37 PM

Here's the worst one:

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2022, 12:52 PM

Ahhhhhh!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2022, 12:59 PM

If the widget was in some sort of semi-opaque tray that helped create contrast that would be helpful, but the way it is now, its visibility is entirely at the mercy of the image behind it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2022, 01:13 PM

Either that, or a contrasting stroke like with subtitles.

Thorzdad
Sep 19, 2022, 04:44 PM

Google image search now defaults to using Google Lens. You can’t simply drop an image on the Google Images page and get results. You drop the image on the page, and then get sent to the Google Lens page, but with no results. Just more useless parameters to check.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2022, 09:59 PM

Readability issues apparently not confined to widgets.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2022, 09:08 AM

Wow big flex with the WeatherBug Elite.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2022, 12:18 PM

WeatherBug was one of my original “killer apps”. Got it in 2010. They have a station a few blocks away from where I live, so in hyperlocal terms, it’s the most accurate. That matters a lot here because how the weather actually shakes out on the ground is highly dependent on your spatial relationship with the lake and tall buildings.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 20, 2022 at 01:07 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2022, 04:15 PM

Today I learned we only get paid our 0.15¢ from TikTok when someone makes a new video with one of our songs. Plays get nothing.

As an aside, in 4 years we’ve made it ¾ of the way towards breaking even on the cost of having it published.

Thorzdad
Sep 20, 2022, 07:47 PM

You’re in the arts. You do it just for the love of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2022, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
You’re in the arts. You do it just for the love of it.
Don't forget the exposure. Thats worth millions.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2022, 11:25 PM

Oh, there’s no illusions about the lack of dough we’re rolling in. However, I am a little surprised that (allegedly) 460 streams this year on TikTok translates to less than a half-cent.

We had 160 on Spotify, and that’s 63¢.

As an aside, most of our income from these albums are “mistakes”. There’s a TV show like in Vietnam or something with the same name.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Energy Saver suddenly stopped dimming the screen of my iMac.
It decided to fix itself. No system update or anything.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2022, 06:57 PM

Wait...when did MacOS start doing the stupid fucking Windows UAC-like thing where I have to click OK on a warning before doing anything at all?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2022, 06:07 PM

I Google Degas, and get ads for Seurat.

Thorzdad
Sep 25, 2022, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wait...when did MacOS start doing the stupid fucking Windows UAC-like thing where I have to click OK on a warning before doing anything at all?
It always did that when you emptied the trash. I can’t think of any other instances. Then again, I’m not running anything recent.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2022, 06:11 AM

I used to complain about the low quality of news type. They were skipping most proof-reading. This was quite pronounced a decade ago, as papers struggled financially during the transition to Internet news. It seemed like the problem had gone away since.

Then I read this just now, which comes from a CNN page. Never mind the story itself - I counted at least 19 spelling/grammar/punctuation/spacing errors. It's like they texted it in, and no one checked it. Painful to read. In a few cases, I couldn't even tell what word they'd meant to use. I've bolded most of the errors below.
Recruiter wounded in shooting at mobilization center in Siberia

From CNN's Anna Chernova and Radina Gigova

A registration commissar is "fighting for his life" after being shot at a military enlistement office in southeastern Siberia on Monday, according toRussian authorities.

The official was left injured after a man opened fire at the facility in the Russian city of Ust-Ilimsk, in IrkutskrRegion, IrkutskrRegioalngGovernor Igor Ivanovich Kobzev said on his Telegram channel.

"There was an emergency in the area today. In Ust-Ilimsk, a young man fired at the military registration and enlistment office. Military commissar Alexander Vladimirovich Eliseev is in intensive care, in critical condition. The doctors are fighting for his life," Kobzev said.

"The shooter was immediately arrested. And he will definitely be punished," Kobzev said. "I cannot wrap my head around what happened. I am ashamed that this is happening at a time when, on the contrary, we should be united. We must fight not with each other, but against real threats."

Kobzev said security measureswouldl be strengthened and asked the public to remain calm.

"I really hope that the doctors will do everything possible for Alexander Vladimirovich to survive," he added.

Russian state news agency RIA Novosti also reported the incident on Monday, saying it was a shooting at point-blank range and that no one beside theeecruiterr was injured.

The shooter is a 25-year-old resident of Ust-Ilimsk and a criminal case has been opened against him, Russian state news agency TASS reported on Monda,y quoting the IrkutskrRegion's Investigative Committee

"Investigators are currently working at the scene. The suspect is being questioned, the motives of the crime are being found out," the press service of the regional Investigative Committee said, as quoted by TASS.Some background:

The shooting comes days after Russian President Vladimir Putin announcedan immediate "partial mobilization"zof Russean citizens ins, in an effort to revive Moscow's faltering invasion of Ukraine.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu confirmed that the counould will call up 300,000 reservists -- a move that has sparked protests anexoduseof military-age men from eing R.mlin tightens rules around evading military orders.

CNN's Simone McCarthy, Rob Picheta, Katharina Krebs, Radina Gigova and Sana Noor Haq contributed reporting.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 26, 2022 at 06:27 AM. )

Thorzdad
Sep 26, 2022, 08:31 AM

Looks like some of the texts I get from my wife when she dictates them instead of typing. I wouldn’t be surprised that’s what this is.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2022, 10:48 AM

It always did that when you emptied the trash. I can’t think of any other instances. Then again, I’m not running anything recent.
Not just a confirmation, but a "this action requires administrator approval" and then either clicking okay or having to enter my administrator password.

NOT this window:

I'm used to that one. There's a new, smaller one, kind of like this?

Is this a Monterrey thing?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2022, 04:21 PM

Yep. I’m seeing it every time Signal wants to update.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 30, 2022, 01:26 AM

In another thread, I typed "hydrazine" (in a rocket context) and my browser promptly underlined it as misspelled. Quick check with Dictionary - it was spelled correctly.

I understand that adding uncommon words to the regular spell-check will cause genuine misspellings to slip through sometimes. But how about some context awareness, allowing more specialized words to be in the spell checker? That way we get the best of both worlds. Common checks for the commoners, specialized checks in specialized contexts. Without needing to turn on/off extra dictionaries manually.

I've had this happen before, in other contexts. Just thought to write it up this time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2022, 03:13 AM

Ironically, my phone knows “hydrazine” but does not know “unironic”.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2022, 05:20 PM

I guess it’s a “minor” irritant…. My wife and I got our fifth COVID shots this past Wednesday afternoon. Thursday morning was fine for both of us, but after lunch, be both felt pretty wiped out and my wife needed a nap. After that, she felt quite a bit better, and Friday wasn’t a big challenge for her.

Me? Thursday afternoon wasn’t too bad for me, Friday morning, either. But about mid afternoon on Friday I felt drained. Not “nap and you’ll be fine” drained, but down around 10% energy level drained. I couldn’t do much more than sit and rest.

But the irritant here isn’t the effects of the shot. It’s that San Antonio has had high to crazy high allergen levels since last week, so the allergens may have been the real reason we both felt like poo. Or not. Either way, here on Saturday afternoon I’m feeling about 90% myself, while my wife worked 4 and 5 hour shifts Friday and Saturday without a problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2022, 05:43 PM

There may be other factors involved but I got a booster plus flu shot seven days ago, and still kinda feel like garbage.

I also still have a bruise, and the injection site didn’t stop feeling tender until yesterday. Never had a bruise for any previous COVID shots (though it felt like I should). This is my first flu shot ever, so I assume that’s the cause. It’s very possible it was a mistake to have them share the same site.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2022, 07:35 AM

Sometimes they just nick the vein or such. It happens.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2022, 09:29 AM

My boosters have all been unique experiences, but this last one’s timing with San Antonio’s crap in the air has increased its uniqueness. Not in a fun way.

Anyway, today I’m feeling pretty good. And the pollen levels have dropped a bit, which is a plus.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2022, 04:04 PM

What's the name for the group of icons above the keyboard in Messages on the iPhone? Links to App store, Images, GIFS, etc.?

Ever since the latest iOS upgrade, the link for GIFs is hidden off to the side, so I have to click and scroll to get to it. It's literally the only one I ever use besides the camera roll. Is there any way to customize that bar to get rid of the junk I don't need and make visible the ones I do?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2022, 04:29 PM

Swipe it all the way over to the end and there’s a “More” bubble with an ellipsis.

Tap it, and “Edit” is in the top left corner.

Tap that and go to town.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2022, 05:44 PM

😍

But wait...I haaaave to have the App store as the second icon, no changes allowed? That's a minor irritant if I've ever seen one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2022, 06:02 PM

I had never opened it, but doing so now I discover its purpose is to chisel money from suckers.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2022, 06:12 PM

This might sound crazy, but when I text something about the The Six Million Dollar Man, I don’t want to Apple Pay the recipient six million dollars.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2022, 01:10 AM

No?

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2022, 01:12 AM

I do wish Apple and others would add off buttons for most of the newer stuff. URL previews, context aware highlighting (Apple Pay, dates, numbers, etc.).

Really I just want a ‘10.6’ mode. No Siri, notifications, etc.

Thorzdad
Oct 5, 2022, 08:54 PM

I kinda think that, after I’ve marked a couple dozen emails titled COSTCOGIFTCARD-CONFIRMATION as spam, Gmail should have figured out that they’re spam. But, nooooooo. They just keep dropping in my inbox.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2022, 08:24 AM

I kinda think that, after I’ve marked a couple dozen emails titled COSTCOGIFTCARD-CONFIRMATION as spam, Gmail should have figured out that they’re spam. But, nooooooo. They just keep dropping in my inbox.
"Don't be evil."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...aunch-in-2023/

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2022, 03:32 PM

I have the opposite problem with iCloud mail. If I take it out of my junk folder, stop putting mail from that address in my junk folder. It’s really simple logic.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 7, 2022, 05:59 PM

Have you had your gmail address from near the beginning of public access?

I do, and in the early days, false alarms were a problem. So many early adopters added a custom mail filtering rule:
"if message does not contain (long random text sequence) never apply spam filtering"

It was the only way we found to disable filtering entirely. The idea was to disable Google filtering, so everything reaches Mail.app. The local filtering was considered better.

So check your gmail filtering rules in their webmail settings, see if you have such a leftover rule from the early days.

Thorzdad
Oct 12, 2022, 10:47 AM

No such filter in my settings.

Speaking of Gmail filtering...As far as I can find, there is no option to set a filter that simply says "if-x, then send to spam folder". There's a "if-x, then DO NOT send to spam" but no "send to spam" option. The closest option that seems to somewhat work is "if-x, then skip Inbox (archive)" I have no idea what "archive" means, but there's no folder called "archive"

Thorzdad
Oct 12, 2022, 10:48 AM

Had an EMG performed on me this morning. Good god, what sadist invented that?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2022, 03:01 PM

Had to look that up. Autocomplete suggested adding “painful” to the end of my search string.

Thorzdad
Oct 12, 2022, 04:57 PM

That’s a fair description, I guess. They test to see how well different nerves respond/transmit to electrical stimuli. So you have electrodes taped on at certain points, and those are the targets. Then the doctor starts probing into your skin with needles to find the particular nerve they’re testing. That feels very much like you’re getting a vaccination, but in places they shouldn’t be giving it to you.

Then you quickly get ZAPPED, several times at increasing micro-voltages. Man, when they start hitting you with just the moderate zaps, you’re jerking up off the table and dropping f-bombs. Then they hit you with the big zap, and it’s crazy how much you hurt. But, it’s only miliseconds, and the pain is gone. This went on for the better part of a half hour. I was actually laughing at the final big zaps, it was so intense.

FWIW, the doc said I had extremely good nerves, especially for someone my age.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2022, 10:03 AM

I’m not sure I get this.

Your nerves detected the low-voltage. It’s like some sort of mystery whether you’ll feel more voltage?

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2022, 12:20 PM

*shrugs*

Dunno what to tell you. I was the body on the table, not the dude pushing the current.

Thorzdad
Oct 15, 2022, 12:30 PM

I was playing some game on my iPad the other night, and ran into a new low in advertising assholery.

Most of the ads have some kind of countdown before the “skip” button becomes active. Most of them are a large grayed-out X with a gray ring around it that fills in white around the X as the seconds pass. Usually, what happens when the ring completes the trip around the circle, the X also turns white and you can tap it and skip the ad.

What was happening now is, when the ring completes the trip around the circle, the entire thing, ring and X, disappears. There’s seemingly nothing to tap to skip the ad.

But, if you look reeeeeal close, you will notice what appears to be a single white pixel. That’s what the X changed into. And, the live tap area is also now the size of the pixel. Assholes.

I’ve also noted ads where the X becomes just a tiny bit smaller than normal, but it’s now half concealed by the battery life icon in the upper right of the screen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2022, 12:54 PM

Server issues. Those are annoying. ;-)

andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2022, 02:19 PM

I bet.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2022, 02:32 PM

EMGs are, sadly, necessary in some really unpleasant situations. The EMG just makes them much more unpleasant.

Two different types: afferent and efferent. An afferent EMG helps determine if there are problems with sensory nerves. Is that leg numbness due to a bulged disc, or a more local nerve problem?

The most common complaints with sensory EMGs are that the sensations induced by the testing can be both unpleasant and bizarre. Move the electrode just a tiny bit, and instead of zapping a mechanoreceptor (which senses things like pressure and vibration), you can zap a nocioceptor (pain sensor). Or trigger a sense of intense heat, or itching, or something else weird and nasty.

An efferent EMG is used to determine why certain muscles don’t seem to be working. Again this could be to help differentiate between a spinal issue and a local nerve issue, among other things.

Efferent EMGs sometimes use MUCH higher levels than afferent EMGs. The practitioner doing the test may note some sign of the muscle in question seeming to contract a bit at one level. Using a higher level can actually help diagnose what kind of nerve problem is at play here. And yes, the extended testing is typically regarded as “we’re very sorry, but this is going to hurt…a lot.”

So, firstly I am VERY sorry you had to put up with that. Yes, if Torquemada had EMG equipment, he’d have used it copiously and not at all for what it is designed for. And second, I actually do understand how really nasty such testing can be - not only because it’s really uncomfortable, but also because the whole “explain this to the patient” thing seems to be intentionally vague, or arcane, or anything other than clear and in plain language. Again, sorry.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2022, 04:00 PM

Efferent and afferent. No danger of confusing those two. I hope theres no massive risks in accidentally performing the wrong one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules