Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is the NYT really as liberal as it's made out to be?

Is the NYT really as liberal as it's made out to be? (Page 2)
Thorzdad
Feb 6, 2018, 10:30 AM

It's a story in the Fresno Bee about events in Fresno aimed at an area Congressman. Sounds like local coverage to me. Just because you can access it anywhere doesn't make it "national, headline news."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 11:02 AM

If this is a reply to my comment, that’s the point.

The Fresno Bee reports what matters to locals, the NYT reports national news. The difference in coverage between them is due to that, not their respective political slants.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Protesters say ‘Nunes must go’ after release of controversial memo | The Fresno Bee

Several dozen people in Fresno on Saturday called for Rep. Devin Nunes to step down as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.”

I posit this isn’t national, headline news.
I agree but neither was the NYTs. That's another part of why the headline is irritating.

Edit: By saying Nunes constituents don't care about the memo they imply the memo must not be that controversial or important

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I agree but neither was the NYTs. That's another part of why the headline is irritating.

Edit: By saying Nunes constituents don't care about the memo they imply the memo must not be that controversial or important
Okay... I can see that beef, but I read it differently.

This is a story about Nunes’ district. The only way that matters in a national context vis-a-vis the memo is whether his constituents will axe him over it.

I’m guessing there’s no indication they will, and that’s what the Times is reporting.

Defending the Times makes me feel dirty.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 04:27 PM

To put it another way, I think the subtext of the headline is the exact opposite of claiming the memo is unimportant. The memo being important is a given. This can be ascertained by all the column inches the Times is devoting to it. In that framework, the subtext of the headline is more like “don’t expect this to change these idiots’ minds”.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2018, 06:53 PM

To put it another another way, now that I reread your post and understand it better, how his district will respond to his shenanigans at the polls is national news.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2018, 09:35 PM

Okay... I can see that beef, but I read it differently.

This is a story about Nunes’ district. The only way that matters in a national context vis-a-vis the memo is whether his constituents will axe him over it.

I’m guessing there’s no indication they will, and that’s what the Times is reporting.

Defending the Times makes me feel dirty.
To put it another another way, now that I reread your post and understand it better, how his district will respond to his shenanigans at the polls is national news.
That just makes this story more pointless. Maybe if they bothered to poll the district to put it into the spotlight it might have been worthwhile.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2018, 01:47 PM

Sure it’s pointless. I read it and it’s pretty fluffy, but the question is if it’s slanted.

FWIW, they seem sensitive to your criticism and redid the headline to put more weight on the memo’s importance.

New headline is “Washington Is Abuzz Over the Nunes Memo. His California District, Not So Much”.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2018, 09:29 PM

For the pro-active and morbidly curious, google Quinn Norton and bask in the warm glow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2018, 11:50 PM

"Investigating Quinn Norton, NYTimes Sees No Clear Link To Neo-Nazis."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2018, 05:34 AM

Norton is awesome, and I’m too ****ing pissed off about this to write constructively.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2018, 02:25 PM

**** you New York Times. Norton has more integrity in her ****ing fingernail than you have in your entire newsroom.

Context is dead, and you helped kill it you spineless pieces of shit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2018, 11:59 PM

Was her being friendly with neo-nazis out of context?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2018, 12:13 PM

Have you ever noticed the blueprint for every neo-Nazi who disavows their Nazism is the same?

“It wasn’t until [unexpected person] reached out to me that I was able to realize how wrong I was.”

Every single one of these examples required someone being friendly to a neo-Nazi.

This is the context of her friendship, and it’s obvious to anyone even glancingly familiar with her turbo-progressive politics. The proposition her friendship implies sympathy to Nazism on her part is ignorant.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2018, 12:18 AM

How do I put this... In a different time this could be tolerable. In 2017, it's not. And that's without getting into the merits of your analysis.

My question is, is the NYT incompetent or indifferent? How does a national news organization, particularly one who has some shitty social media rules, not to a once over on her twitter account?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2018, 12:35 AM

How do I put this... In a different time this could be tolerable. In 2017, it's not. And that's without getting into the merits of your analysis.
The moment reaching out to people with compassion is intolerable, [current year] can go **** itself.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2018, 02:40 PM

To answer your other question, I’m sure they did, but she has over 80,000 tweets.

Likewise, in their perusal of those tweets, what would drive them to search for evidence of her being something she’s not?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2018, 03:38 PM

FWIW, I’ve calmed down, but only a bit.

The reason I’m losing my shit is Norton is a force for good in this world, and I mean that in a social justice sense.

She’s also not guilty of anything.

An innocent person getting punished disturbs me. Social justice losing a voice in the paper of record disturbs me. That this was perpetrated in the name of social justice disturbs me.

To get inside my mindset, imagine if Franken or Louis C.K. were innocent of all charges, yet suffered their same respective downfalls.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2018, 08:59 PM

The moment reaching out to people with compassion is intolerable, [current year] can go **** itself.
It's not reaching out, though. Reaching it out is a one time thing. This a friendship. It is a continuing relationship in the face of unchanging views.

To answer your other question, I’m sure they did, but she has over 80,000 tweets.

Likewise, in their perusal of those tweets, what would drive them to search for evidence of her being something she’s not?
Control-F "******"

You found 10 tweets

"We do this for everyone."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2018, 02:30 PM

Reaching it out is a one time thing.
If this policy has been successful for you when it comes to repairing massively damaged people, consider yourself inordinately lucky.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2018, 03:04 PM

Control-F "******"

You found 10 tweets

"We do this for everyone."
Maybe I don’t pay enough attention to the NYT. Have they had this problem before?

If they haven’t, the question being asked is “why didn’t they have hindsight”, which is in firmly in the realm of self-answering as questions go.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2018, 11:52 PM

If this policy has been successful for you when it comes to repairing massively damaged people, consider yourself inordinately lucky.
Fine, it's a semantic argument.

Do you have many examples of this working?

Maybe I don’t pay enough attention to the NYT. Have they had this problem before?

If they haven’t, the question being asked is “why didn’t they have hindsight”, which is in firmly in the realm of self-answering as questions go.
Oh I'm not implying they do. But I'd be surprised if they didn't. People are constantly getting hosed by their own words the past few years.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2018, 04:25 PM

Fine, it's a semantic argument.

Do you have many examples of this working?
As I said, every feel-good story of a Nazi/KKK type flipping.

Or is this not what’s being asked?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2018, 04:48 PM

Like this guy, I assume?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2018, 06:25 PM

That fits the bill. This is what came to mind for me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2018, 06:55 PM

every feel-good story of a Nazi/KKK type flipping.
Yeah, what are they? I can think of one. You make it sound like they are numerous, so a few examples would be nice.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Like this guy, I assume?
I had forgotten about this guy.

Yes, this is the example I was thinking of. I don't think it's common though.

I'd like to highlight, however, that both stories involve the very people they're think are inferior having a dialog with them. I think this is key.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2018, 10:32 PM

What is the conclusion I am meant to be drawing?

For what argument am I asking to provide evidence against?

If it’s that she’s a Nazi sympathizer, I provide her entire body of work as counter-evidence.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 22, 2018, 04:09 PM

Modern "progressivism" isn't liberal, though, and our liberal arts colleges are now little more than Marxist recruiting centers.
Holy shit I don't miss CPT.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2018, 09:17 PM

For what argument am I asking to provide evidence against?
I asked for examples of your feel good stories, because I find you rationale for her behavior... extremely kind.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2018, 09:17 PM

I mean, you might as well sub in a fox news feed with posts like that. Jesus, glad I had him on ignore, that's worthless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2018, 10:37 PM

I forgot to add, those two success stories are great arguments for diversity. This is what liberals envision when they talk about its benefits.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2018, 02:23 PM

I asked for examples of your feel good stories, because I find you rationale for her behavior... extremely kind.
Here’s a direct commentary from her about this from 2014. I wasn’t aware she had written it, or I would have posted it initially.

I won’t exactly say this validates my argument, but it certainly indicates her friendship is despite his neo-Nazi proclivities, not because of them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2018, 02:35 PM

He made his points in an over-the-top manner, but I’ve been on about the same thing for just as long, and this is perfect example of what we’re complaining about. To wit...

People are constantly getting hosed by their own words the past few years.
This right here. People are getting hosed by their words. This is theoretically okay because the words match the intent, and it’s the intent which makes someone worthy of a hosing.

When it’s just the words that matter, and the intent behind them is not ascribed any meaning whatsoever? Yeah, I’d call that cultural Marxism.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2018, 02:48 PM

He made his points in an over-the-top manner, but I’ve been on about the same thing for just as long,
No, you'll have the conversation, he wouldn't. He'd name call and belittle.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2018, 04:33 PM

No, you'll have the conversation, he wouldn't.
He would with me, and I presume it’s in no small part because we didn’t have all this personal shit going on.

To be fair, he conducts his debates on a particular wavelength, and before I was able to tune myself to it my assumption had been he habitually argued in bad faith.

He doesn’t. Certainly not to the extent people here imagine. He’s by no means an innocent victim, and speaking to that he did habitually hammer on people’s hot buttons, but I consider much of his reputation here undeserved.

If it was deserved, I’d be far less inclined to come to his defense.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2018, 05:37 PM

He would with me, and I presume it’s in no small part because we didn’t have all this personal shit going on.
You weren't on "Team Regressive Liberal." When I "came out" caucusing for Bernie, his behavior toward me changed markedly.

Show me a multi-page CTP argument that didn't end in name-calling and feigned high-roading. You have plenty of those, he has none.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2018, 06:30 PM

You weren't on "Team Regressive Liberal."
Bingo. If anything I felt he went out of his way not to argue with subego.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2018, 08:10 PM

I’m a Bernie supporter who buys into most Social Justice theory. He never got on my case about the former, and our arguments about the latter were always civil despite holding opposite opinions.

What we agreed on was how shit was coming off the rails, with results like we have with Norton, where an angry mob has just blindly pitchforked and torched an ally.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 24, 2018 at 02:15 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2018, 11:16 PM

I plan on revisiting this, FYI. Though I plan on returning to a lot of discussions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2018, 08:02 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2018, 09:19 PM

So according to twitter, NYT has all but outed who the informant on Trump during the campaign was, while bragging about not outing him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2018, 02:35 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2018, 05:47 PM

Someone on twitter pointed out they've 3+ articles on Dershowitz since he did the op-ed about being shunned in Martha's Vineyard. This subject does not need that kind of coverage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2018, 12:32 AM

"Obama ordered Dijon on his hamburger. Bush fumbled in the grocery aisle. And Trump says you need an ID to buy groceries."

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2018, 10:16 AM

Because the article is a piece of journalism, and a fluffy one at that, the author can only give us the dots. If she connects them it becomes opinion.

The picture she feels the dots reveal is our modem Presidents flub the rich guy pretending to be the Everyman schtick. Here are two examples which are actually kinda adorable, and now here’s a third which is utterly disgusting.

These modern Presidents share this Everyman flub in common, unlike say dignity or morals.

[mic drop]

Holy shit. ****ing savage. She’s brilliant. Not that he would care, but in New York intellectual terms Trump just got 360 no scoped.

The headline was written by a monkey.

andi*pandi
Aug 2, 2018, 10:29 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2018, 11:57 AM

How is Dijon not Everyman? How is it a flub comparable to not knowing grocery scanners or thinking you need ID to buy groceries?

I do agree one of NYTs problems is whoever is in charge of doing headlines has an agenda.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2018, 05:41 PM

How is Dijon not Everyman?

So, this is my life now.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2018, 07:33 PM

How is it a flub comparable to not knowing grocery scanners or thinking you need ID to buy groceries?
I characterized Obama’s flub as “adorable” and Trump’s as “utterly disgusting”.

I’ve explicitly stated there’s a vast chasm between them. This question makes no sense to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2018, 07:56 PM

I do agree one of NYTs problems is whoever is in charge of doing headlines has an agenda.
Not necessarily in this case.

Within the confines of staying journalism, the proposition she’s making is tougher to structure than it looks.

She ended up with a suboptimal solution where the punchline comes before the setup. The headline writer tried to fix it by stuffing the setup in the headline.

I’m not sure that’s even possible. This writer technically achieved the goal but ****ed everything else about it up. This was an alternate headline. The person in charge of the real headline wisely didn’t go there, because I imagine they’re a pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules