Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Nostalgia post: MacUpdate

Nostalgia post: MacUpdate
wil
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 01:38 PM

I remember when I went to MacUpdate and VersionTracker hoping to see 1 or 2 updates per day, or on a great day, a NEW application! Each one of those updates/apps brought a particular joy and confidence in the future. So, here's the sentimental kicker...the future's here. Today, I realized how much I take for granted and, by proxy, how confident I am in OS X.

I actually GRUMBLE when I pan through the dozens of updates and don't see anything that suits me in the moment.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 01:45 PM

I give a solid HUGE to the developers out there...

Keep up the amazing work!

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 02:48 PM

I agree. A huge thumps up for the developers, new and old. I find much enjoyment in looking at MacUpdate(my favorite) and VersionTracker. There's is many updates on there and new programs aswell.

Windows users often say: I'm afraid that my favorite program is not available for Mac(OSX or OS9) - To them I say; You're program is there and very much enhanced and aestetic(sp?)

I have all the apps I need and then some. Apple already provides alot of apps in the basic installation of OSX.

I love developers. Let's all chant: Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers *sweating pause* Developers Developers Developers Developers etc.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 29, 2004, 03:13 PM

I think Apple future is assured. Apple provides great dev tools for free and awesome frameworks (and Tiger offers even more.) This allows a bunch of small developers to create some excellent commercial grade apps.

People always talk about lack of apps on Macs...this just isn't true...AT ALL. The Mac platform probably has less variety but, in my opinion, we've got the best of breed.

The Mac platform is in no danger of dying as long as Apple continues to post a profit. And they are. And even if they went down...the Mac platform would still survive for years after Apple's demise...because the OS is good and the dev tools allow anyone to write excellent apps.

The Mac platform isn't fading away for at least another 10 years...and that's being pessimistic. I'm sure it'll be around for as long as Windows is around just because there are enough people that care about it.

Ol' Steve has to find a good successor though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules