Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] : Mighy Mouse Cursor

[ANN] : Mighy Mouse Cursor
dggraphics
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 08:46 AM

Wait Knot - Mighty Mouse wait cursor

Yes this is actual size - There is a smaller one included in the download as well

Download

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 02:07 PM

i like this alot, however the animation is a bit 'jumpy.' i know mighty mouse is limited to 15 frames, which is a shame, but i need smooooth animation. also the big one is a bit too big, and may be processor intensive at times. good job overall

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 02:23 PM

This is very cool. Thanks!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2004, 04:22 PM

I believe Mighty Mouse can handle 30frames !? With a bit of tinkering in the Terminal.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

dggraphics  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 04:30 PM

you are very welcome. I also have some more I am working on.

I could add some more frames to the animation, I don't think it would bog down the processor too much. What I did was render out 60 frames and used every 4th frame -1 since the first frame and the last frame are the same.

While testing the large one I couldn't get the CPU load to go over 50% and that was while I was winging it all over the screen. I could go even bigger, I made one that is 300x300.

I would like to do one with particles or fire. Anyone have some cool ideas for a cursor?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by dggraphics:
you are very welcome. I also have some more I am working on.

I could add some more frames to the animation, I don't think it would bog down the processor too much. What I did was render out 60 frames and used every 4th frame -1 since the first frame and the last frame are the same.

While testing the large one I couldn't get the CPU load to go over 50% and that was while I was winging it all over the screen. I could go even bigger, I made one that is 300x300.

I would like to do one with particles or fire. Anyone have some cool ideas for a cursor?
For a wait cursor I think it would be awsome to have a normal arrow that is on fire. That way It wouls look like the arrow is so busy (thus the wait icon) that it burst into flames!

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2004, 11:55 PM

dggraphics,
Your knot wait is fantastic. Can I ask you how you posted it ??? I have some awesome MightyMouse Cursor Sets and Waits that I would like to share with y'all. I don't know how to put them into a post. How do you do it ??? Thanks.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

dggraphics  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 12:24 AM

TheZee- Do you have a hosting account?

If you have your files uploaded to a hosting space, for example I am using my .Mac account to host my files, then all you do is click the link button below. when the dialog appears enter the name of the text you want to appear as the link, i.e.- "download me" or something, then click OK. In the next dialog, paste the URL of your file, then click OK again.

For the preview, I just made a .gif of the animation using ImageReady. All you need to do is the animation preview from Mighty Mouse to the desktop. That will create a Tif image then open that image in ImageReady then choose the option to convert layers to frames, then Save optimized. You will need a host for this image as well.

To show the animation in the thread you need to place the URL of the image file between "[img]h**p://Someplace.com/your account name/name of file[/img]" without the quotes

If you don't have hosting space yopu can set up a temporary .Mac account. You can try it out for 60 days. It's not permanent but you will be able to host the files somewhere until they are posted on ResEx.

Click Here for .Mac 60 day trial

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 01:45 AM

Mighty Mouse has a 15 frame limit. This is an OS limit.

If you're importing a Windows cursor that has more than 15 frames, Mighty Mouse will use "tweening" to drop down the number of frames down to 15. Check the section of Mighty Mouse help titled Importing Sets of Cursors From Windows XP for more info.

I don't remember what happens if you try to drag in a TIFF with more than 15 frames, I think it won't let you. If you want to use Mighty Mouse's tweening, you could fake a Windows cursor and import that.

dggraphics, Mighty Mouse can export an animated GIF directly. Hit "Export Cursors" and look at the File Format popup. You can export a single animated GIF (what's seen on the Resexcellence previews" or a folder full of individual animated GIFs, one for each cursor.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 02:30 AM

Maybe I could whip up something in Cinema 4D, export to movie, import to After Effects, export as gif animation and get something like this? Alienware Skin (One could wish right?)

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
For a wait cursor I think it would be awsome to have a normal arrow that is on fire. That way It wouls look like the arrow is so busy (thus the wait icon) that it burst into flames!
http://www.resexcellence.com/cursors/index.shtml

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by efuseakay:
http://www.resexcellence.com/cursors/index.shtml
Yeah... but all those other cursors suck and i can never get just one cursor to import... I always mess it up and just give up. I really like the flames, but jeez what an ugly default arrow.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Maybe I could whip up something in Cinema 4D, export to movie, import to After Effects, export as gif animation and get something like this? Alienware Skin (One could wish right?)
That spin takes forever. I fell asleep.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
That spin takes forever. I fell asleep.
It could obviously be sped up and simplified.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 06:55 PM

Great cursor! I am having trouble finding good cursors for OS X. The only ones I can find are at resexcellence. And the ones at Wincustomize don't import all the cursors into Mighty Mouse. Where are the good cursors?

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 12:33 AM

Sorry y'all for the late post.
I do not yet have a hosting site for my MightyMouse cursor sets.
Scott Chitwood @ ResExcellence has been so kind. He offers some of my creations listed under the "MightyMouse Cursors" section. I am going to take your advice, dggraphics, and try the .Mac temporary account offer. From your post I take it that it will enable me to host my designs. If all goes well, be looking out for my next post here when I plan to have that account set up, using it to host my MightyMouse Cursor Set files until I either permanently go with .Mac or find another hosting account. Anyone have any suggestions ??? Would you advise going with a .Mac account or are there other sites that would be more conducive to hosting my designs. I think y'all will really dig the cursor sets. You all know how slim the pickings are when it comes to insteresting MightMouse Cursor sets available for download out there. If anyone has any guidance for me please let me know. Peace out . . .
TheZee

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 01:07 AM

Ok y'all !!!
I just opened a temporary .Mac account. If dggraphics is reading this, can you enlighten me on how I go about using that account to host my MightyMouse cursor sets ??? Do I put the files on my iDisk ??? If anyone else knows how to do this please let me know. I'd like to share some of my cursor set designs with y'all as soon as I can get this hosting thing figured out. Peace out . . .
TheZee

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 09:46 AM

the best cursor set i've ever found is mike's cursors
(not sure who mike is)

i use a different wait cursor, but this one has the best pointer ever...
simple, elegant!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

chambone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 11:24 AM

[ PLUG] You mean something like this? [ /PLUG]

http://hypetown.com/dl/cur/fire.zip

Me like fire too

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 10:02 PM

:
Got my download page up and running y'all. Here is the link to 2 of my MightyMouse Cursor Set designs. Hope you dig them. Any and all feedback is welcome people. Peace out . . .

http://homepage.mac.com/thezee/FileSharing1.html
TheZee

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by chambone
[ PLUG] You mean something like this? [ /PLUG]

http://hypetown.com/dl/cur/fire.zip

Me like fire too
Very nice! but i had to make a custom black one. The red was buggin me.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules