Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook backlight 'yellowing'

PowerBook backlight 'yellowing'
firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 10:36 AM

I bought a replacement LCD for my PowerBook G3, however, like the old LCD the whole screen is covered with a yellow tint. It's like the white balance is permanently skewed - its not very pleasant to look at. I've also noticed that older laptop screens tend to get yellower over time...

Is this problem normal; do LCD backlights lose their white purity over time? Can it in some way be cleaned or reset?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 11:05 AM

Yes, I'm afraid it is normal for LCD screens to progressively degrade as they get older. However, are you saying that a brand new LCD is starting off yellow (which would be odd), or is your replacement now a few years old as well and starting to go yellow? To improve things, you could try altering the Colorsync profile to shift the hue back towards the blue end of the spectrum. Depending on the OS you are using you will either change it in the Colorsync preferences or in the Display preferences. If you are on OS X, I would use SuperCal (serach macupdate.com or versiontracker.com for it) as it is easier to use than the built-in tools in the Displays preferences.

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 11:37 AM

Backlights definitely get dimmer and "more yellowish" with age, but also the anti-reflective layers on TFT screens before 2000-2001 are more yellowish and less transparent than on modern TFT screens, it's evident even with a brand new backlight. There's a company (unfortunately I don't have the name) that actually removes the coating from the older TFTs and covers with modern coating, and they claim +20-30% brightness and much more whiteness without touching the backlight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules