Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP, whats holding you back from buying?

View Poll Results: Whats your excuse?
Poll Options:
Money 33 votes (41.25%)
Carbon Fiber Case 3 votes (3.75%)
LED Backlit Screen 18 votes (22.50%)
Better Speed 3 votes (3.75%)
Better Graphics Card 8 votes (10.00%)
Ultra Small Case 14 votes (17.50%)
Wife's Approval 1 votes (1.25%)
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll
MBP, whats holding you back from buying?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 08:46 AM

For me its a graphics card update and the LED backlights. (And Money)

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 09:42 AM

I would say video card, however I can wait no longer and will be buying one tomorrow.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 12:24 PM

Video Card? The current macbook pro's go up to 256mb dp guys do some really extensive video ram processing or usage?

I THINK THE current mbps are awesome.

Theres nothing holding me back i own 1 already and i love it.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 01:29 PM

Ditto here. Nothing's holding me back and I already bought one - the day they came out actually. It's certainly the best Apple portable I have ever used.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 01:44 PM

HD screen is what I'm waiting for.

4GB RAM + eSATA will hopefully be included by that time.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 01:57 PM

Waiting until I need more power than what my PowerBook provides.

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 03:08 PM

Waiting to see what's around the corner I guess. It's too late in the day to buy the existing version.

Plus also waiting for Leopard - kill two birds with one cheque!
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

NeutrinoMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 03:49 PM

I would buy now if it weren't for the current crop of dodgy screens. Too much of a crap shoot. I'm not fussy, all I want is a screen that was as bright and clear and sharp as my previous PB G4 had.

But I can't help smacking my lips at the thought of a HD, LED-backlit, razor-sharp screen on a new 17" with Leopard!
"We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang?"

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 04:09 PM

better vram, new screen and a lower price would be nice

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2007, 04:20 PM

You left out a bunch of potential reasons not to buy one yet, and another important reason: I already have one. My MBP came from the last three weeks of Core Duo production. For the record, there's nothing wrong with it. No problems with the video, the speed, the screen (NONE at all!) or anything else.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You left out a bunch of potential reasons not to buy one yet, and another important reason: I already have one. My MBP came from the last three weeks of Core Duo production. For the record, there's nothing wrong with it. No problems with the video, the speed, the screen (NONE at all!) or anything else.
I will have to agree with this completely. While people always say to wait until you have to have a laptop, I will say that the current MBP is very, very nice. Battery life sometimes is not as good as I would like, but all the other pros really outweigh the extra 30 minutes or so of battery life that would make me happy.

For anyone on the fence who has the money I would highly recommend getting a MBP. Apple will most likely not make any major changes for at least another 6-8 months. Besides once the new MBP comes out, this thread will get busier b/c there will always be people disappointed that Apple did not include every little bell and whistle in the "new" MBP.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 05:16 PM

Money. As soon as the tax refund hits, I'm getting one

MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 05:23 PM

Money and no real need for a Dual Core (I can accomplish everything I need my computer for on a G4).

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 06:31 PM

Once C2Ds were released nothing held me back. I bought one for me and one for my dad.

-Allen Wicks

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Believe me, I could have listed about 20 reasons, but I tried to limit it to some of the more commonly talked about reasons. (I for one would probably buy one now if not for a lack of cash.)

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 09:44 PM

As another poster said, it's too late in the revision cycle to buy one, at least for me. I'm heading off to college in the fall, and I need my MBP to last me as long as possible, since I won't have the cash for a new one halfway through college. I'd get more out of it if I wait for the probable spring revision.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 10:30 PM

I'll be upgrading my last revision 17" PowerBook G4 when the next revision comes out. There isn't anything wrong with the current version, but I figured it can't hurt to wait and see what the next revision comes with.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 11:48 PM

The MBP is an excellent machine. It certainly made my PowerBook G4 obsolete a lot faster than I anticipated. At some point I will purchase one and combine my personal use machine (PB G4) and my work machine (Dell Latitude D810). In the process I'll also retire my PowerMac G5 and unclutter my office a bit.

I need Windows for my job so an Intel based Mac would go a long way.

BUT: Money is a consideration at the moment. (I'm buying new countertops and flooring for the kitchen ... not quite as much fun as a new MBP, but I like a nice house as well.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 12:27 AM

No Leopard yet (don't want to pay the extra to upgrade later)
I like the MacBook's keyboard more
Physical latch (I like the MacBook's magnetic latch)
Pretty far in the release cycle now
Can't self-upgrade the hard drive as easily as on the MacBook

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
No Leopard yet (don't want to pay the extra to upgrade later)
I like the MacBook's keyboard more
Physical latch (I like the MacBook's magnetic latch)
Pretty far in the release cycle now
Can't self-upgrade the hard drive as easily as on the MacBook
I like the size of the Macbook better.
However: I like the backlit keyboard better with the MBP.
I don't like the integrated video on the Macbook. (In fact, this is one of the reasons I've not purchased a Tablet PC ... they all have the same integrated video card that I want no part of.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 11:46 AM

I don't get how some folks prefer the MB size. The MB is thicker, only 6 ounces lighter and for anything having to do with graphics the extra screen real estate and pixels of MBPs is a big plus.

What may be worth wating for is a "Macbook Thin" or 13" MBP, which would be thin, meaningfully lighter and more pro than the MBs. There is a big hole in the laptop line and I am convinced Apple will work to fill it with one or both of those new boxes. Unfortunately I need maximum graphics capability so no small/thin 'books for me.

-Allen Wicks

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I don't get how some folks prefer the MB size. The MB is thicker, only 6 ounces lighter and for anything having to do with graphics the extra screen real estate and pixels of MBPs is a big plus.

What may be worth wating for is a "Macbook Thin" or 13" MBP, which would be thin, meaningfully lighter and more pro than the MBs. There is a big hole in the laptop line and I am convinced Apple will work to fill it with one or both of those new boxes. Unfortunately I need maximum graphics capability so no small/thin 'books for me.

-Allen Wicks
If you tried to work on a regular basis in a coach seat on most domestic airlines, then you would understand.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
If you tried to work on a regular basis in a coach seat on most domestic airlines, then you would understand.
Agreed.

The MB is smaller. Plain and simple. For some people every inch counts. And if that's your no. 1 priority then the MB is the way to go. I don't know which part of that is so terribly difficult to understand.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

Double agreed. I don't work on airplanes that much, yet I still miss the form factor of my 12" PowerBook.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

wilsonng
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 08:53 PM

-Allen Wicks
Well, I like the portability of the 12" while I'm on the road. When I'm back at the office or at home, I can always connect my 12" PB G4 to an external monitor to get dual screen capabilities. So I get the screen real estate on the PB's screen as well as the external monitor. So screen real estate is no issue for me.

I can imagine that a "true" road warrior like a graphics professional that isn't able to connect to an external monitor would need the 15.4" MBP. Go to the bigger MBP if screen real estate is extremely important while on the road.

When I'm at the desk, it's always connected to an external monitor.

When I'm commutting, I can use MacOS X's Expose feature to help window management.

I know that as I get older and the vision starts fading, I'd probably go from a 12" to the 13"....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 10:29 PM

Nothing is holding me back - it was delivered last week.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 12:17 AM

I am sentimentally attached to my Powerbook 15". It's hands-down the most stable Mac I've ever owned. (I think I'll re-start it when 10.5 ships) I'm broke, so it's not an issue, but I'm afaid I'll never get another one as reliable, no matter what it is.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

eminton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 10:55 AM

waiting to buy a new MBP is the cost of it is pretty high. my last rev. powerbook works just fine but i miss having windows and certain windows programs. when they can drop the cost down a little bit more and i can find a nice paying job, i will get one

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 03:32 PM

Once C2Ds were released nothing held me back. I bought one for me and one for my dad.

-Allen Wicks
I wish my son was that good to me!

You want to adopt me?

(LOL)
( Last edited by romeosc; Feb 7, 2007 at 12:33 PM. )

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 12:06 PM

Santa Rosa * Leopard *

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 01:21 PM

waiting for a 12" powerbook replacement
(the macbook certainly isn't it...)

not holding my breath, tho...

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

neyoung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 04:34 PM

I waited sill MWSF for updated to the MBP line. I couldn't see waiting any longer. Got my MBP on Jan 26th and haven't looked back since. 100% glad that I made the switch.
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project

mprogers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 02:34 PM

I was going to wait until my PB G4, a little long in the tooth but still perfectly adequate, gave up the ghost. Of course, that could've been years, but fortunately my spouse surprised me with the fastest MBP, with 3 GB no less, just the other day.

I thought that my PB G4 was good, but this leaves it in the dust!!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mprogers View Post
I was going to wait until my PB G4, a little long in the tooth but still perfectly adequate, gave up the ghost. Of course, that could've been years, but fortunately my spouse surprised me with the fastest MBP, with 3 GB no less, just the other day.

I thought that my PB G4 was good, but this leaves it in the dust!!
That's a very nice spouse you have.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

letswastetime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 03:53 PM

im waiting till college starts up for me in the fall, then i will go out and buy one. plus they will mostly likely have some deal that gets you an ipod or printer if you buy a mac then
what do you love about music. to begin with, everything.

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 05:40 PM

The crap uneven backlighting of current MBPs. I don't care whether LED or CCFL but I want even backlighting.

Wet_Jimmy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 05:11 AM

Three reasons I'm waiting (I have a G5 PowerMac to tide me over);

1. I want to see what new features Leopard brings, and the inevitable hardware revision that will be introduced alongside it.

3. A DX10 compatible GPU. I want to be able to boot into Vista and play shiny new games

DoubleV20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 10:35 PM

putting the money factor aside, one reason I'm holding back from buying is I'm still hoping they will make a macbook pro in black but I doubt that will ever happen

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
Santa Rosa * Leopard *
Me too. I want a MBP that has a CPU named after my home town.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 06:16 AM

If there is one thing I'd like to see dramatically improved, it's battery life. Just imagine a MBP with 10 hours of life on full charge - no need to lug the charger with you when you travel for the day.

greene_hornette
Baninated
Feb 11, 2007, 09:42 AM

My reason(s):

1) the outrageous price tag.

2) no 12" model
( Last edited by greene_hornette; Feb 13, 2007 at 03:49 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by firefly View Post
If there is one thing I'd like to see dramatically improved, it's battery life. Just imagine a MBP with 10 hours of life on full charge - no need to lug the charger with you when you travel for the day.
That would be something. The UMPC tablet PCs don't even get that kind of battery life yet.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 06:18 PM

For me it's the screen. I bought and owned a C2D MBP and loved almost everything about it except for the screen (in my case, I had one of the fairly well known problems where the right side of the screen was darker than the left side). But for that one thing, it was probably one of the nicest laptops I've ever owned.

So I am definitely holding out hope that the new MBP's will have the LED backlighting technology, and that it puts the screens on par with the Sony SZ premium models which also feature this tech. In my mind, that would make it the ultimate laptop for me.

Regarding holding out for a video card; honestly, if people are expecting Apple to cram something like a 7900GS or X1800 or X1900 in there, it just isn't going to happen. The reality is that, for the time being at least, the X1600 that is in the current MBP's is near the top of the line for 15" notebooks. The only things better right now are the X1700 and GeForce 7700, and those don't significantly outperform the X1600. What may be of interest would be whatever mobile DirectX 10-capable GPU's come out soon, but there's no telling what the lower powered ones designed for 15" notebooks will do.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by greene_hornette View Post
My reason(s):

1) the outrageous price tag.

2) no 12" model
All things being equal, I don't think the MBP's have particularly outrageous price tags. Looking at comparably spec'd laptops from Asus and Sony, for example, they seem pretty competitive (especially considering the 1" thick form factor of the MBP).

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 07:14 PM

I bought a MacBook instead primarily because of cash, battery life and portability.

I need a notebook I could carry all day long for classes.

Maybe in a year or two I'll get an MBP. I have all the horsepower I need in my PC turned HTPC so my primary needs were a very portable notebook.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post
Regarding holding out for a video card; honestly, if people are expecting Apple to cram something like a 7900GS or X1800 or X1900 in there, it just isn't going to happen. The reality is that, for the time being at least, the X1600 that is in the current MBP's is near the top of the line for 15" notebooks. The only things better right now are the X1700 and GeForce 7700, and those don't significantly outperform the X1600.
I'm no mobile GPU expert so maybe you could offer some insight here. Apple has been using the Mobility X1600 for quite a while already and the only thing they've improved is the under-clocking. But what about switching to something like a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra, Go 7800 (GTX), or ATI Radeon Mobility X1800 (XT)? From what I've read these GPUs are available and perform better than the current X1600. Are there thermal issues or are these GPUs just so much more expensive?

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm no mobile GPU expert so maybe you could offer some insight here. Apple has been using the Mobility X1600 for quite a while already and the only thing they've improved is the under-clocking. But what about switching to something like a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra, Go 7800 (GTX), or ATI Radeon Mobility X1800 (XT)? From what I've read these GPUs are available and perform better than the current X1600. Are there thermal issues or are these GPUs just so much more expensive?
I haven't seen the specs, but I'm not so sure the 6800 Ultra would perform better than an X1600 (or a GeForce 7600/7700 for that matter).

But anyway, those GPU's you mentioned generate more heat, and usually would require a lot more room. You'll only see mobile GPU's like the 7800GTX and X1800, and even the 7900GS, in 17" laptops that are usually closer to 2" thick.

None of them at this point could fit in a 15" laptop and work properly, especially not a 1" thick one.

This isn't just an Apple thing; take a look at Dell, Alienware, VoodooPC, Compal, Asus, etc. You'll find that the X1600 and X1700 and GeForce 7600 and 7700 are still pretty much the only available options in 15" notebooks (and most of them are still thicker than a MBP).

That was basically the point of my post above; while there are more powerful GPU's out there (the 7900GS can be found in Toshiba's 17" P105, or Dell's 17" E1705), there aren't significantly more powerful GPU's available for the MBP form factor (even the 17" model would still probably have problems given the thickness). There could be some on the horizon (with mobile DirectX 10 GPU's expected soon), but that's about it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks for elaborating.

athom108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 04:03 PM

rach
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 10:06 PM

Apple have to upgrade the MBP graphic cards soon. They have had the same graphics cards for nearly one year. It is getting quite old now. I sold my C2D MBP for a couple of reasons last week and i may buy again when they update the graphics card and also introduce Leopard.
Apple haven't even upgraded the Mac Mini's to C2D so really i should not get my hopes up too much about them upgrading the graphics card soon but i hope that they do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules