Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > i phone compatibility

i phone compatibility
edwinh1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2008, 01:12 PM

i'm from the us and i'm on vacation in the uk. i saw an i phone in the store for 160 pounds which would be cheaper than what i can get the phone for in the states. is it possible or a problem to unlock the phone and will the phone work on us calls? it's a big purchase for me and i'd have no way of returning the phone.

taldrich
Apr 23, 2008, 02:13 PM

It can be done, but everyone I speak to about it has had problems. Better to stick with the service agreement in US, I think.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 03:29 PM

The £160 come with a lengthy expensive contract that you have to sign when you buy the phone.

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The £160 come with a lengthy expensive contract that you have to sign when you buy the phone.
Not true. I bought a £160 phone last week from Carphone Warehouse and walked out the shop. You are expected to sign up to a contract via iTunes once you get home, but you may opt not to do this of course.

The OP could unlock the phone using one of the various software methods which are around and use the phone in the US. No problem.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 04:40 AM

Ah, I see.

Here in Germany, T-Mobile makes you sign a contract right there and then, AFAIK.

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 06:34 AM

Curiously, of the three vendors of iPhones in the UK, Carphone Warehouse and the 02 shops have reduced their price to £160 whereas the Apple Stores are still £260 which seems odd. No need to sign a contract at any of them. I wondered if there was a bit of a split in the camp? I got in quick in case Apple took out some legal action or something to force the prices back up.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Curiously, of the three vendors of iPhones in the UK, Carphone Warehouse and the 02 shops have reduced their price to £160 whereas the Apple Stores are still £260 which seems odd. No need to sign a contract at any of them. I wondered if there was a bit of a split in the camp? I got in quick in case Apple took out some legal action or something to force the prices back up.
I thought you had to sign a contract if you got it from O2 or Carphone Warehouse? If not I know a few people that'll be one tomorrow.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Curiously, of the three vendors of iPhones in the UK, Carphone Warehouse and the 02 shops have reduced their price to £160 whereas the Apple Stores are still £260 which seems odd.
This is consistent with the rumors that a new iphone is coming in June and vendors are dumping their shelves to make room.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2008, 05:05 AM

I tried Car Phone Warehouse and it seems they've sold out at the stores already... tried their online store but then you do have to complete the O2 contract. Shame I couldn't get my act together a bit quicker as it would be a bargain.

Philm... what program did you use for unlocking?

Steve

Nivag
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Steve SpotOn View Post
I tried Car Phone Warehouse and it seems they've sold out at the stores already... tried their online store but then you do have to complete the O2 contract. Shame I couldn't get my act together a bit quicker as it would be a bargain.

Steve
Just went on the O2 online shop to have a look and this is now on the iPhone page

Please note: 8GB iPhone is no longer available
iPhone Page Key Features

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steve SpotOn View Post

Steve
See: iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock Your iPhone With PwnageTool (Mac)

Forum Links
Forum Rules