Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CalDav

CalDav
taldrich
Jul 22, 2009, 04:38 AM

Just wondering what other users' experiences are of the iCal/CalDav server. We have implemented it at my office recently, and it seems to work well, EXCEPT that when trying to add attendees from a remote location (i.e. not on the network) you cannot do so. Any ideas? Our technical people say that it's something to do with the server authentication, but that doesn't solve the problem!
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2009, 04:49 AM

What CalDAV server, Apple's? What OS?

taldrich  (op)
Jul 22, 2009, 05:04 AM

Yes, Apple's CalDav server on Leopard.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

taldrich  (op)
Jul 22, 2009, 05:08 AM

Also, if I delete the server using Directory utility, then add it again, all works fine, until I restart my computer.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

Worst thing ever.

Connection fails multiple times a day (go offline or ignore prompt), scheduling is a nightmare (sometimes it just doesn't want to recognize that people exist), meeting updates don't propagate for days, etc. We may move to Exchange if they don't fix iCal Server it with Snow Leopard Server.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2009, 04:53 PM

Interesting that you report that mduell. I was excited about an Apple made CalDAV server, but judging by the very low activity on their mailing list it looks like there have been a bare minimal of resources have been put into it.

Original poster, have you tried posting your question to the mailing list?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2009, 04:55 PM

Have you guys tried other CalDAV servers, such as this one?

IceWarp CalDAV Server

Also, is it just me or is Google's CalDAV server pretty flaky and unreliable? It would be nice to be able to recommend, although as far as the original poster is concerned perhaps it is a better option if this data is not terribly sensitive.

grahamperrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I was excited about an Apple made CalDAV server, but judging by the very low activity on their mailing list it looks like there have been a bare minimal of resources have been put into it.
This is very far from the truth. Consider that a quiet list may mean a well crafted product :-)

If you watch e.g. irc://irc.freenode.net/#calendarserver the developer activity is remarkable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules