Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help finding out this font

Help finding out this font
duoikari
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2011, 07:47 PM

I am currently redesigning alice in wonderland for a project at my uni, and i am trying to find out what font was used for the body text, i think it's baskerville or times, but the w's and e's are different so i thought i'd ask you guys. Also on another note does anyone know any websites or books about conceptual typographic books

andi*pandi
Feb 18, 2011, 08:46 AM

I highly recomment WhatTheFont! � MyFonts for guessing fonts. Upload a sample and boom.

However, my first guess also put this at baskerville, but then I decided sabon was closer. Depending on how old this book is, that is. This is not Times.

Do you have to spec the type precisely?

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2011, 09:48 AM

ah cheers i will try it there, i also don't think it's sabon cos the w's are different, the capital ones are anyway. The have asked me if i can find out the original text but since it was originally done in 1865 i can't contact the company that done it because i doubt they will know now. i was wondering if it was by john bell not sure what the font was called but i see it in a typography book.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2011, 10:05 AM

No, it’s definitely not Sabon, and it’s not Baskerville either. It’s too rounded for Sabon, and not round enough for Baskerville.

It does look a bit like Bell, but it’s not that either. It does look very familiar, but I can’t place it. Perhaps a custom variant mixture of Baskerville and an Aldine type of sorts? If it’s from 1865, there’s a chance it’s an in-house type made by the setters themselves …

andi*pandi
Feb 19, 2011, 11:18 AM

Sounds like you need to research fonts that were around then. Sabon is a modern reinterpretation of Baskerville.

Also, if you are comparing that scanned sample to modern versions there will be differences.

My new guess, based on A and G, is Janson.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2011, 08:19 AM

right checked the font against what's my font and it come up with
-Royal Romain
-Vertrina
-Adobe Jenson Subhead Light
(none of these are close btw)

I have the actually book, with the original text and illustrations, i don't really need to say 'well that's baskerville so i am doing the font in baskerville'. But my tutor does want me to see if i can find a font near it, that's why i thought it might be garamond or baskerville even, cos i checked against my fonts in the font book and it seemed the nearest and was garmond. But the g's and w's are what confuse me. I will probably use sabon or garamond in the version i shall design

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2011, 08:49 AM

I agree: some variant of Garamond is probably what comes closest. While Baskerville is quite close in many respects, it has a completely different feel to it than this one does.

Your next step is to trawl through the bajillion different variations of Garamond there are, trying to find the best one.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2011, 01:13 PM

oh btw i did find the text it was bookman, but an old style managed to get it off the net, cheers guys <3

Forum Links
Forum Rules