Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > fixing this page

fixing this page
duoikari
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2011, 03:50 PM

This is another alice in wonderland related design, i basically want to make the text look like it's crammed into the page as she has grown 9 feet tall. But i just can't get it to look right and i have a tutorial where i have to show my basic idea and concept for the book, but i don't wanna feel like i am wasting my time doing this as it has taken my ages to do half a page (show below)

Just wondering if anyone can help

Thorzdad
Mar 6, 2011, 04:36 PM

Squash some of the type. If it's getting "crammed", there's going to be some distortion. Right now, it's all the same size and just jumbled about.
Sorry to say, this sort of type design does take a lot of time and hand-work to make it look right.

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2011, 04:57 PM

This is tricky to illustrate. Right now I'm getting "earthquake" from your picture, not "too big for page." Maybe if the letters were taller?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2011, 01:05 PM

Grow the letters to indicate she's getting bigger, and squash them against the side rather than just jumble them up. Make the direction of growth the same way as you read so that subconsciously the reader associates the growing with the growing letters and make them squash up against the right hand side /bottom of the page so that when they finish reading they have also reached the end of the visual metaphor.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2011, 06:01 PM

Right had a meeting with the lecturers today based on this project, i did redesign the page as i was advised by my friend that i was over complicating it. Lecturer didn't like either, and advised me to find a nicer way of messing with scale, as getting the text to go bigger isn't looking pretty which i sorta new before i see them, i am wondering where to go from here, as i feel that it is possibly the type of font i have used that makes it ugly. Although is there another way typographically that i can show something getting bigger or smaller?

andi*pandi
Mar 8, 2011, 07:58 PM

Go bigger, and not so gradual. Has your teacher taught you sense-breaking? Try and play with the words and their meaning, not just see them as letters.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2011, 02:59 PM

Well i was doing that but then they say 'there needs to be an overall concept' and the concept i have picked is scale, because it refers to he becoming award of her self as an adult and puberty. The reason it gradually gets bigger is because she is gradually getting bigger but only realises it when she gets to the line 'just then her head struck the roof' and that's where the text stops getting bigger

Forum Links
Forum Rules