Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > CV design

CV design
duoikari
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2012, 05:45 PM

I have designed my CV, well at least the basic layout. Just wondering if anyone had an feedback, about style and substance?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2012, 05:59 PM

"Progressed profusely"? I don't think this is what you want to say, I wouldn't use the thesaurus to dress up your language, if this is what you've done.

"knowledge into design"? Should be knowledge *of* design

Adobe Design *Suite*, not "suit". I'd leave out the bits about Corel Draw, I don't think anybody uses it anymore.

You're missing a blank line after "a range of print methods"

I don't think employers will care that you like baking, music, swimming, etc. No offense, but if you are going to include something like this it should definitely not be in the fourth paragraph.

All in all I don't know what job you are really going for here, it comes across as "here is some stuff I can sort of do, maybe you can find a fit for me"? Tailor your CV for the job you are going for, and try to blow them away by convincing them with very concrete specifics why they should hire you and not somebody else. This seems a little generic.

I'm not questioning your skills, but I think you can do more to sell them.

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2012, 06:08 PM

The overall look is fine, I like how the flower logo turned out! Not sure if HR folks care for horizontal resumes but it's a nice change.

However, when you get to the text the organization is off and it's way too chatty. The about me (hobbies, etc), if at all, should be at the end. All education should be under the education section, with university/class and year. The rest of "about me" should be in the cover letter (I really want to work in magazine publishing etc etc).

General resume order:

Goal: one sentence stating your ideal job (may be considered twee by some)
Education: Degree, University/School, Year (repeat) (if education is long ago may be put last or in less important area)
Experience/Employment: You could merge these sections.

Check your spelling. Software, universities, grammar. It should be perfect. Don't abbreviate. Don't use slang.

Good luck!

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2012, 07:25 PM

Cool thanks very much guys, just one more thing any thoughts on the content font?
i used Akkurat Pro and the logo font is just a random free one i found, but i am unsure if they work together. I didn't wanna use more then 2 different fonts.

This Cv is also for the british design market, i don't know if that makes any difference. Because when i was looking at Cv referance (as design CV are different to a retail CV for example). I found that the more american Cv use a word like "objective".

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2012, 07:37 PM

I've always found the CV design to be an interesting exercise. It's a bit risky to go against a conventional layout, since your primary target for the CV will be HR, and they may not care about design as much as they'll care about being able to easily scan through the document. The more effort they need to put into finding what they need in your resume, the less likely the chances are of your resume getting on to the hiring manager.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2012, 07:44 PM

Yeah, HR departments are not going to care one bit about fonts and visual design choices. Focus on substance. In fact, I think if you look for resumés of highly respected people in your field, you'll find very minimalist resumé/CV designs. An overly designed CV might come across as a Powerpoint/Keynote presentation lacking substance but with an attempt to compensate for this lack of substance with flashy visuals.

I guess ideally a well designed CV *and* a great substantive CV that is well written and structured would be the ideal, but if I had to choose one over the other I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2012, 08:19 PM

The fonts are fine, your instincts to stick with just two are correct. I would add more gutter space between the two columns. Also, if you trim your text (be more succinct) you'd have space to open up the leading a bit.

As I said, "objective/goal" is optional. I've seen it for all types of jobs not just "retail" but keep it simple or it can seem cheesy. It should sum up your resume in one sentence. Why should they keep reading?

You may have to submit a word document for HR (blech), so having a "vanilla" version could be handy for banks or more corporate places. I think for design jobs at agencies/design firms a horizontal resume may be fine. I wouldn't rewrite a resume for each job application unless you have extreme wide-ranging career goals (designer vs lumberjack). Otherwise, that's the cover letter job, to point out which jobs/skills relate to the job being applied for.

I was taught, and have read since, that resumes should be succinct and declarative. Compare:

I originally started off an intern for which turned into a part-time position. The company is a handmade greeting card company and although I don't have any direct input into designing the cards I do design advertising media for the company. My main role consists of designing promotional material such as brochures, invites, and stationery. I take product shots of the cards for the website and promotional material for approaching exhibitions. My other responsibilities are basic admin skills such as database work, and keeping up a good relationship with clients.
Clear Creations
Oct. 2011-Dec 2011 Intern, Jan. 2012-Present, Part-time Junior Designer
Design promotional materials such as brochures, invites, and stationery for handmade greeting card company. Photograph products for use on website, promotional materials, and exhibit displays. Perform basic administrative duties such as database management and client relations.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 17, 2012 at 08:34 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2012, 05:31 PM

Isn't this a resume not a CV?

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2012, 03:03 PM

Thank you all very much guys and girls for your feedback and i will shave some of the info down here. There is also a reason for the "i love baking" line which you will see when the portfolio is finished.

I also don't really understand what a resume is, we don't tend to have them in England, we normally just give in CVs.

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2012, 03:48 PM

resume = CV for all intense porpoises.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
intense porpoises.
Yay! I prefer "intensive porpoises", but I'm always glad to see them get some love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules