Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Portfolio help

Portfolio help
duoikari
Forum Regular
May 26, 2012, 03:30 PM

As you guys might have know i have been redoing my pdf portfolio, which i finished up a couple of weeks ago. Although the work that is featured in it is not really up to scratch (only really the alice book) i have had to put it out there as the're many jobs i will have missed if i don't and it's probably better to put it out there then have it sitting on my desktop.

I really like the design, but i am not getting any replies, and i am wondering if pdf is a bit too....girly? photographs inconsistant?, pages bit oddly arranged?

But i'd like to know what you guys thinks, here all the pages

Thorzdad
May 26, 2012, 03:54 PM

Girly? Well...it is pink, and I can definitely see it working against you with the more neanderthal art directors.

One thing that really jumps out at me is how pasted-on your contact info looks in the header. It almost makes it look like a ready-made template that anyone can add their info to. I'd suggest ditching the white box and see how you can better integrate your contact info in a more...headline/splashy way. Maybe with a bit of added color that works to tone-down the "girly" effect? I'd also ditch the Twitter link. Your tweets aren't exactly uniformly design-oriented, and the most innocuous tweet might turn-off a potential client. Best not to expose yourself like that.

I would also suggest shrinking the height of the header in order to get your images up as large as possible. In this horizontal format, your header is taking up a quarter of the page.

I also see some typos that might stick-out to anyone evaluating your portfolio. It should be "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" not "Alice's adventures in wonderland" or "Alice's Adventures inwonderland".

andi*pandi
May 26, 2012, 04:33 PM

CorelDraw, Adobe Director, capital D.

I think the resume is much improved but it's hard to evaluate the design pieces surrounded by the pink frame. The last two are very cluttered feeling.

It's designed like a website, but a website should have more space between header etc. You could try adding some grey to neutralize the pink. To solve Thorzdad's suggestion with the height of the header, perhaps you develop more of a page 2 template with a narrow header that gives the portfolio elements more room.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
May 29, 2012, 04:35 PM

How's this for colour scheme, also changed the the layout to allow more space for work and information and such. Will work on a page that work previewed on it.

andi*pandi
May 30, 2012, 09:14 AM

It looks a bit better to me, colorwise... I think the green is a good complement to the blue. I would perhaps make use of it in the flower, and perhaps brighten the green up a bit.

Also, text is now very long readability wise, you may want to put it back into columns. Think of your grid that you will use for the portfolio pages.

Still with the capitalization.

Does your design program have an advisor?

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM

Right after sending out the previous pdf i haven't got any results yet. So i redone it again and made it more simple. Tell me what you think.

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2012, 12:05 PM

Much better. I wouldn't put too much stock in getting responses in a week... it might not be the design but other factors (number of applicants, position already filled, typos on your cover page). Just keep trying.

You are one person, not Graphic Designers. (cover page)

The two-column approach for the resume looks much better. However, more space between address and content areas, and more gutter between columns.

Watch your verb tenses, spelling, capitalization. Be consisent. For jobs you are not doing now, in the present, it is "designed and produced." For jobs you are doing now, "design and produce". Don't use "ing" as an active verb.

Spell software names correctly. Spell your job titles correctly. Cutomer Adviser?

Forum Links
Forum Rules