Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Glaring Safari Omissions and annoyances.

Glaring Safari Omissions and annoyances.
superapplegeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 03:00 PM

As I may have mentioned before I 've deserted my beloved opera to go with safari for more interoperability between macs.

I love safari, it's great but there are a couple of glaring omissions that no matter how many add ons I ve got (and I am using or testing 10-20 of them) I haven't found a work around for:

1. Impossibly miniscule fonts for bookmarks. I literally need a magnifying glass for them, on my 24" imac it's impossible to sort them out with these tiny fonts, I can't fathom how bad they are going to look on the new 27" ones. PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me a way to get the fonts larger for the bookmarks, even if it means a paid app, or getting a developer to do it for me.

2. I absolutely loved the minimum zoom function in opera. Very simple, very effective and straight forward: Set zoom to 120% then all windows load at this setting, so no more constant ctrl +. How hard is this for apple to do? This is one of the few cases where I think they are just plain idiots for not including this. Their larger macs such as the 24" and 27" are impossible to read without the zoom, why should we all be ctrl + our way a few hundred times a day?

It's insane really. I know all the minimum font and default font settings, but the former just don't work as well as the zoom and are pretty pointless unless you want most websites distorted, and the latter as far as my understanding goes just don't work on most websites. The zoom function is simply irreplaceable and there's absolutely no reason why setting this value as a default % is not an option.

Again I d love an add on for that, please tell me there is one, or someone make one for me and I ll pay them.

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jan 1, 2010, 03:07 PM

Safari is an application. Moving to Apps...

superapplegeek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2010, 04:49 PM

ok second part of the problem fixed, make a .css file with zoom function in there and set it to a desired %.

But the bookmarks is still a major annoyance...sigh....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2010, 05:42 PM

I don't really think that there is a way to fix that issue... the only way at all would be to change resolution on the screen, but Apple won't let you I assume for the built-in display.

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2010, 07:26 AM

The bookmarks font size isn’t really a Safari issue, it’s the direct result of having a GUI that was designed for 72dpi rendered on screens with resolutions of 100dpi and over.

It’s a question of accessibility. If the user cannot read text that is two millimetres tall, he will also have problems identifying other elements of the user interface that are of similar size, and consequently will have to use a magnifying glass. Apple provide screen magnification, and there are several third party solutions, as well.

Personally, I rarely organise my bookmarks in Safari, anyway. I find them relying on Safari’s URL autocompletion and Quicksilver. If you really need to organise your bookmarks, there are third party bookmark managing apps for that. If you want them synchronised across several browsers, you’ll end up using one of them sooner or later, anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules