Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Euro2004

Euro2004 (Page 2)
OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 04:46 PM

I hate Emile Heskey.
tin pot, garden shed

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 04:47 PM

Oh...dear...god.

What...f**king...happened.

I...hate...France.

Die...France...Die.

Die...Heskey...Die.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 13, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
2-1 to France
you're not doing yourself any favours here. get back in the kitchen, wench.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Oh...dear...god.

What...f**king...happened.

I...hate...France.

Die...France...Die.

Die...Heskey...Die.
Heskey. Heskey happened. Only came on for the last 5 minutes or something and still managed to completely **** it up for us.
tin pot, garden shed

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 04:57 PM

<--- Utterly shocked.

Although I knew it wasn't going to be our night when Barthez saved the penalty...

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you're not doing yourself any favours here. get back in the kitchen, wench.
There there I'm sure England will lose...er...WIN it in the end.

Perhaps if England hadn't started playing so dirty after they scored, they might have retained their lead.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
<--- Utterly shocked.

Although I knew it wasn't going to be our night when Barthez saved the penalty...
Not shocked damn enough...why do England always do this!?!? Get us all excited then lose. Were now bottom of the damn group, lets just hope we win Croatia. I can see us losing.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 05:08 PM

Not shocked damn enough...why do England always do this!?!? Get us all excited then lose. Were now bottom of the damn group, lets just hope we win Croatia. I can see us losing.
Don't stress, we'll qualify easily.

You think this is bad? I'm actually Welsh... this shock is nothing!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 05:28 PM

Gutted.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 05:40 PM

:ROFL:
<90min 1:0 England
end: 1:2 France

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 05:45 PM

Riddler
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2004, 06:00 PM

Stevie G, what the f were you thinking? Emile, go home now.

I swear I nearly ripped the number 4 England shirt off my back.

This is a disaster for me as my wife is Croatian and now we have to beat them in the last qualifying game

I suppose it's nice to have this happen at the beginning of a tournament instead of in a semi, hopefully we'll get some sweet revenge on July 4th.
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 06:06 PM

I counted at least 30 seconds elapsing between the final whistle sounding and Radio 5 Live summarisers getting the excuses starting. They're slipping. Usually they're within 10 seconds. Terry Butcher was claiming that Silvestre should have been sent off (whilst glossing over the fact that James' indiscretion was a far more definite red card!).

I'm laughing all the way to my radio tuner :-)
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by speirsfr:
I counted at least 30 seconds elapsing between the final whistle sounding and Radio 5 Live summarisers getting the excuses starting. They're slipping. Usually they're within 10 seconds. Terry Butcher was claiming that Silvestre should have been sent off (whilst glossing over the fact that James' indiscretion was a far more definite red card!).

No excuses. We shouldn't have given away those penalties, but the fact remains, they won on penalties. We're still in it, Scotland never was.
tin pot, garden shed

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
<90min 1:0 England
end: 1:2 France
Fu�k, it reminds me of 2000, when Wiltord scored the equalizer for France in injury time against Italy and France then went on to win. It shows the value of fighting till the very last possible moment.

Brilliant! Zidane is the king!

Oh, and Allez les bleus!
weird wabbit

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 06:58 PM

Actually he was right. Silvestre should have been sent off since he was the last man when he made the tackle. But if the goalie makes a foul, he gets the yellow card and then the opposition gets a penalty.

But damn, this sucks.

Can't say I'm proud of being a fan of Liverpool right now since the they all(current and former) played really bad in this game.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 07:04 PM

I herd the R5 live report on the Croatia Switzerland game at half time (in the England Match). It said that Croatia spent half the time falling over attempting to get Free Kicks etc. which made it difficult for the Swiss to do anything.

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
Actually he was right. Silvestre should have been sent off since he was the last man when he made the tackle. But if the goalie makes a foul, he gets the yellow card and then the opposition gets a penalty.
I've seen goalkeepers sent off several times for exactly this kind of foul. If there's any argument it might be that the foul wasn't right in front of goal, but one would well expect Henry to score from that situation.

It's telling that whenever someone from Scotland suggests that England are perhaps not the team the BBC thinks they are, the Scot gets attacked because Scotland aren't very good. Don't think we're not all prefectly well aware of this!
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iPod 5Gb

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 07:43 PM

<--- Utterly shocked.

I am soooooo kicking myself for not buying this game on PPV!!!!! Why oh why?????
But eh, yeah France beats England. Priceless.

Zizou, le meilleur joueur du monde.

villa

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 07:44 PM

IMHO there is good argument to say that Silvestre and calamity should both have been given red cards...

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 07:46 PM

IMHO there is good argument to say that Silvestre and calamity should both have been given red cards...
I think the ref at least made consistent decisions. If he had sent Silvestre off and not sent James off (or vice versa), that would have been really unfair.
PowerBook G4 17"
iPod 5Gb

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 03:05 AM

It's telling that whenever someone from Scotland suggests that England are perhaps not the team the BBC thinks they are, the Scot gets attacked because Scotland aren't very good. Don't think we're not all prefectly well aware of this!
It's telling that whenever England play football there are hoards of people from Scotland, who obviously only watched the match in the hope of seeing England lose, lining up to say "ha-ha". Personally, I don't bother watching the Scotland matches with the hope of being able to gloat. I don't bother watching them at all.
tin pot, garden shed

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by OB1:
It's telling that whenever England play football there are hoards of people from Scotland, who obviously only watched the match in the hope of seeing England lose, lining up to say "ha-ha". Personally, I don't bother watching the Scotland matches with the hope of being able to gloat. I don't bother watching them at all.
You know, I'd bet a few quid that if the London-based media could:
  • Refrain from talking about who they'll meet in the quarter finals before a ball has been kicked
  • Refrain from talking about 1966 at least until half time
  • Produce a realistic assessment of England's chances
  • Temper the xenophobia
  • Occasionally admit that England players do not always fight gravity with every fibre of their being when challenged for the ball

...then a lot more Scots would at least give England the credit their performances deserve.

When I said "I'm laughing all the way to my radio tuner", I was making the point that I'm laughing at the media's desperation to keep the hype going. The English team are actually a fairly decent bunch of players.
PowerBook G4 17"
iPod 5Gb

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 03:21 AM

allez les bleus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w00t w00t!!!1!!

hehehe.

england sucked through 90% of the game. boy is that french team good. it's hard to score against a team that plays strictly defense after they score their first goal.

the only player on the english side i was kinda impressed with was rooney...zidane's teh man!

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 04:15 AM

Now you (english) guys know what it was like when Munich lost the Champions League finals in 90 seconds against Manchester...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 04:54 AM

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 05:19 AM

I've seen goalkeepers sent off several times for exactly this kind of foul. If there's any argument it might be that the foul wasn't right in front of goal, but one would well expect Henry to score from that situation.

Well this is what Silvestre said.

German referee Markus Merk showed Silvestre a yellow card, but the France defender said: "I could have been sent off.

"I'm surprised to only have a yellow card.

from here

James maybe could have gotten a red card, but Silvestre should have gotten sent off. In fact, the referee had no other option if he followed the rules correctly. If the last defender fouls a player(especially from behind) he gets sent off.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 05:56 AM

You know, I'd bet a few quid that if the London-based media could:
  • Refrain from talking about who they'll meet in the quarter finals before a ball has been kicked
  • Refrain from talking about 1966 at least until half time
  • Produce a realistic assessment of England's chances
  • Temper the xenophobia
  • Occasionally admit that England players do not always fight gravity with every fibre of their being when challenged for the ball

...then a lot more Scots would at least give England the credit their performances deserve.

When I said "I'm laughing all the way to my radio tuner", I was making the point that I'm laughing at the media's desperation to keep the hype going. The English team are actually a fairly decent bunch of players.
This needs to be repeated. The English media, especially the tabloids, really go overboard with the xenophobia when it comes to almost anything outside England and the hype surrounding the English team. I don't know under what kind of stress the English team play, but if the media would not spend so much of their time making huge expectations, I think the players would have a better time of it.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I herd the R5 live report on the Croatia Switzerland game at half time (in the England Match). It said that Croatia spent half the time falling over attempting to get Free Kicks etc. which made it difficult for the Swiss to do anything.
I'm not a fan of Swiss football usually, but they played half the game with one man less than the Croatians and managed to draw. Very well done!
weird wabbit

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 08:09 AM

Any predictions for todays matches?

My prediction:

Italy vs. Denmark 2-1

Sweden vs. Bulgaria 3-0

And you can still join the league I created. Next deadline is the 16th.

Lets see your predictions for todays matches and join the league. Only takes 5-10 minutes.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 08:50 AM

My prediction:

Italy vs. Denmark 2-1

Sweden vs. Bulgaria 3-0
i think you're pretty much on the mark for the italy game, but don't underestimate the bulgarians...they're pretty tough and have some talent going on...

i think they're going to draw...2:2

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 09:30 AM

My prediction:

Italy vs. Denmark 2-1

Sweden vs. Bulgaria 3-0
Italy vs. Denmark 0-2

Sweden vs. Bulgaria 1-1

vexborg
Senior User
Jun 14, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Italy vs. Denmark 0-2

Sweden vs. Bulgaria 1-1

Italy vs. Denmark 2-0 after penalty...

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 10:40 AM

Italia vs. Denmark 1 - 0 (But only because the Italians can scream foul louder and look more fatally injured when the ref is looking)
weird wabbit

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 01:56 PM

bah!

no one got it right for that game. But the Danes played some great football.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 02:35 PM

... But the Danes played some great football.
As I said but that italian goalkeeper was tooo good!

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 02:43 PM

Sorenson wasn't bad either.

Sweden v Bulgaria is just starting, man I hope this isn't as boring as some others I've seen. I want goals, goals damnit!

Edit: eh, not bad so far.
( Last edited by iOliverC; Jun 14, 2004 at 03:07 PM. )

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 03:17 PM

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 03:48 PM

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!
I hope Euro 2004 gets more exciting, much more. They should spice it up by making the nets bigger.

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 03:53 PM

I hope Euro 2004 gets more exciting, much more. They should spice it up by making the nets bigger.
Or just watch Zlatan!

Zlatan!!! Zlatan!!!

Damn that guy is good!

And a very Swedish name: Zlatan Ibrahimovic

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 04:00 PM

Damn my 1:1 is gone!!

but

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! !!!!!!!!

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. am I the only one watching this game

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran

w00t for henrik, nice goal.

edit: now I just feel sorry for Bulgaria. 3-0.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 04:01 PM

Oups

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

again!!!!!

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 04:02 PM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!

3-0!!!

no more goals please

Originally posted by me:
Sweden vs. Bulgaria 3-0

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 04:06 PM

Are you American by any chance? I remember "bigger goals" being suggested during the run-up to World Cup USA 94'. The reason given was "to hold the attention of American audiences.." I thought this was terribly insulting to Americans at the time. Sorry, the game is ancient, we're not changing the rules for you. It's all about the tension.
tin pot, garden shed

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 04:09 PM

Are you American by any chance? I remember "bigger goals" being suggested during the run-up to World Cup USA 94'. The reason given was "to hold the attention of American audiences.." I thought this was terribly insulting to Americans at the time. Sorry, the game is ancient, we're not changing the rules for you. It's all about the tension.
Oh, that net thing was the goal??
How about making american football more interesting and play without helmets?!

Logic  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 04:10 PM

LOL!!

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 04:11 PM

Rugby? You're living up to your name
tin pot, garden shed

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2004, 04:17 PM

I take that as an insult . Im English. And damn proud.

Forum Links
Forum Rules