Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Digital SLR for MBP?

Best Digital SLR for MBP?
jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 03:15 PM

I am going to get my MBP March 8'th. I'm planning on getting a digital camera within the $650 give or take $30. I want an SLR because this is going to be for work purposes, and i need the most bang for my buck. I have heard good things about the Nikon D50 and the Canon Rebel series. Can anyone name other camera's or narrow my search down to one.

When I get the Camera I'm going to take shots of the MBP for those of you that aren't satisfied with the other ones.

I just hope Pro apps get released soon!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 03:28 PM

Just get the Nikon. the D50 is an excellent camera. very well built, but feels light and compact at the same time. I have the D70s, awesome camera.
Ryan

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 03:54 PM

You can get DSLRs for $650 now? Damn. Last time I was camera shopping, I was looking at at least $1100 CDN (800-900 USD?). Anyway, I'm a Canon user, so I'd take the Canon. I think either choice would be fine, as long as you keep in mind that their accessories (lenses, etc) are not interchangeable, so once you invest in one system, it's going to be expensive to switch to the other one.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

Really any SLR will work, but Canon and Nikon are the most popular, I tend to use Canon as it seems to me there equipment is a bit cheaper them Nikon, but you can also get other brand lenses and such. Check ebay, you can get a very cheap Canon 300D which takes excelent pictures and has a very low noise level, or even a Rebel XT. I myself have a 20D and am always amazed by the picture I get from it.

Here is a link to some samples with both the 20D and 300D(many 300D images in the test image section on the second page, look at some of the insect photos, amazing!): http://www.pbase.com/wintermist/root&page=2

A sample pic of a dragonfly's eye with the 300D: http://www.pbase.com/wintermist/image/32540694

And a long exposure with the 300D: http://www.pbase.com/wintermist/image/35426864

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 26, 2006, 04:29 PM

1. This forum is for discussing Apple's pro laptops. Peripheral questions go in the Peripherals forum.

2. What does your choice of computer have to do with your choice of camera? Exactly nothing. You choose a camera based on your photography needs!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules