Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > plugtmp & crashes

plugtmp & crashes
hksunshine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 08:45 AM

Operating PM G3 beige desktop with Mac OS 9.1. Every so often (ususally while on the net using Netscape 7.02) my drive freezes and we cannot shut it down..sometimes can do this with open apple+option+esc, sometimes with restart button and occasionally only by doing the unmentionable of shutting down my power source. Creates havoc as you may know.

Regardless of how I do it when I restart I always find "plugtmp" in my trash. It always appears to be an empty folder. I searched for it when computer is on and find it is an invisible in an invisble "Temporary" folder on my hardrive.

I have run Norton's Utilities and Tech Tool 3 and found only minor issues all of which are fixed but these frustrating intermittant crashes continue to occur.

Two questions..can I try to make this plugtmp file visible and trash this file or will that create more havoc.

Second question...any thoughts on what else I might do to make computer more stable ( note that I have lots of old OS 9 software, file, and programs on computer so do not want to upgrade to OSX at this time -would create more havoc - other fixes are welecomed).

Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules