Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Birthday iPod!

Happy Birthday iPod!
andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2020, 07:39 PM

I was reminded on twitter today that it was iPod's 19th birthday. To celebrate I got it out of the box, charged it, and played some songs. It still works! Now if I only had a working computer with firewire port, I could update the playlists... would new iTunes even work with it or would I need an old version?

http://appleturns.com/episode/?date=10/23/01

Weird though, that it doesn't play audio without speakers/headset, and I keep trying to swipe the menu not click the buttons...

Thorzdad
Oct 24, 2020, 09:33 PM

My old Classic gave up the ghost ages ago. The drive just died or something. My 2nd gen Shuffle is still going strong, though. It’s done years of yeoman service as my lawn mowing music machine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2020, 02:56 AM

My 1G Shuffle still works.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2020, 07:18 AM

My original 5 GB iPod still works.
My 60GB iPod w/ video got stolen — my favourite iPod ever.
My 120GB classic still works, too. Never got quite as warm with that one.

Haven't used them in ages, though, because iPhone.

OreoCookie
Oct 25, 2020, 09:36 PM

I had a 2nd gen 20 GB iPod, which was a glorious device. It lived in iPod socks (yeah, those socks) most of the time, and I used it until its headphone jack failed. I still remember one time while on a bus to uni, some guy was really proud of his Jukebox mp3 player that used a 2.5" harddrive. He fondled it for the whole ride. At one point I felt pretty smug and I whipped out my iPod to change a song. That curbed his enthusiasm as they say. The only improvement at the time I could think of was “larger hard drive”. The UI was perfect.

I then got a 1st gen iPod nano, which I absolutely loved to bits, too. It fell into the (water-filled) sink while I was washing dishes

I have to say, I loved my iPods more than I love my iPhones. I still like my first iPhone (4S) the best design-wise, I disliked my 5 and I like-but-not-love my iPhone 7. I'm extremely happy Apple is returning to the 4/4S design.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2020, 07:16 AM

I loved my original (2G) iPod, but more because I could take it from room to room and plug it into the stereo. AirTunes knocked that off the pedestal.

Also... had socks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2020, 08:58 AM

I still have a Nano lying around that I got for my wife way back when. For the longest time it was docked on a speaker and the only "song" on it was 12 hours of white noise. I finally bought a dedicated white noise machine last Christmas so it hasn't had anything to do since then.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2020, 09:02 AM

Similarly, all I have on my Shuffle is pink noise, which I use to burn in speakers and headphones.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2020, 08:54 PM

My 4th gen 60GB iPod is almost filled with my iTunes collection as a back up. I also have two second gen (I think) nanos (black and Product Red) that have parts of collections my wife and I keep handy for this and that... Except we use our phones for that sort of thing now, so there’s that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi  (op)
Oct 29, 2020, 11:39 AM

somehow I rarely use my iphone8 for listening to music unless really long car trips. It's a hassle to connect/disconnect the audio jack adapter each time I get in/out the car. Maybe this ipod should go there as a dedicated jukebox... until the iphone 4 is no longer being used by kid. Or maybe next car has bluetooth.

My itunes collection is a mess. Between 2 computers the libraries are unsync'd, there are duplicates...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2020, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
somehow I rarely use my iphone8 for listening to music unless really long car trips. It's a hassle to connect/disconnect the audio jack adapter each time I get in/out the car.
I have a Belkin rockstar audio jack adapter permanently wired up to the minijack input and a 12V power adapter, so it's a single plug every time I get in the car.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2020, 04:51 PM

My car has Apple Play; once I’ve paired the phone, I can use it for music, all sorts of auto-friendly apps, and even making phone calls.

One reason I decided a few years back to not trade my BMW in for another BMW was that dem Germans wanted $300 to put Apple Play in a new car. Honda has it as standard equipment in (as far as I know) just about every trim level of every vehicle. Heck, even Hundai does that. So I wound up with a new CR-V with almost all the bells and whistles for less than 2/3 the cost of a base BMW X3.

There are other “I don’t want a new BMW” reasons, but the Apple Play bit was a biggie.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2020, 09:29 AM

CarPlay. CarPlayCarPlayCarPlayCarPlayCarPlayCarPlayCarPlay.

Honda has it standard on most models with a touchscreen, but not on some base models like the Civic LX.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2020, 12:56 PM

Oops. Yes, “Apple CarPlay.”

BMW still wants a buttload of cash for either that or Android Auto...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Oops. Yes, “Apple CarPlay.”

BMW still wants a buttload of cash for either that or Android Auto...
It's standard on any car that comes with Nav. For a while they wanted to make it a subscription service, but after an uproar pulled back. They'll try again soon enough but for now there's no upcharge.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 31, 2020, 09:25 PM

They've still lost me...

mindwaves
Nov 2, 2020, 04:57 AM

Never a big fan of iPods despite owning 2-3 of them over the years. My favorite is the iPod shuffle USB stick version, but I never wore that around my neck like a weirdo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules