Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail rule to catch blank e-mails?

Mail rule to catch blank e-mails?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 08:59 PM

How can I make a rule in Mail to catch e-mails with no content in the body. For some reason I get hundreds of blank e-mails everyday and the Junk filter doesn't learn them.

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 10:23 PM

I don't get nearly that many, a few a week maybe but I also found them annoying.

Sadly, I found no solution to address the issue directly so I set up a rule that basically says that if the Email isn't addressed to any of my email addresses then just move it to the trash.

Most of those things appear to go out via BCC so they'd get trashed; the downside to a set-up like the above is that some newsletters or mailing lists aren't directly addressed and get trashed so you'd have to set up a filter to accommodate them or manually grab what you want out of the trash.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2004, 04:04 AM

How about you create a rule that flags a message as junk if it does not contain a space. I can think of very few false positives that is likely to produce.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Most of those things appear to go out via BCC so they'd get trashed; the downside to a set-up like the above is that some newsletters or mailing lists aren't directly addressed and get trashed so you'd have to set up a filter to accommodate them or manually grab what you want out of the trash.
Why not just setup the rule in the filter? You can or should be abl eto set it up to say that if it is from this sender move to inbox or something like that. wouldn't that work? Hopefully smart mailboxes in Tiger will improve on mail filtering.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2004, 10:46 AM

The "space" filter is the closest yet but that would exclude one word e-mails. I wouldn't want to lose all the "OK, No, Later," e-mails I get. I'll have to think of a secondary condition as well...

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 11:27 AM

I think I tried space and found it didn't work... maybe I set it up wrong.

I don't use filters often so I'm not sure of their full capabilities, on the upside using the "not to me" approach eliminates some SPAM as well as the blanks because it's all mass mailing and much of it isn't directly addressed.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2004, 09:23 PM

I set up a rule as shown below before posting above and it worked as expected.

As for a secondary rule that is a bit more of a challenge. However if you set it up to never flag emails from people in your past recipients list as junk, then it should never pick up one word emails like ok that are most likely a reply to an e-mail you sent and therefore the address is known.

Another option might be JunkMatcher, which allows more powerful pattern matching (regular expressions) of emails.

And lastly if you are really keen you could set up procmail to retrieve and process all your mail into a local UNIX mailbox and then set up mail to read that UNIX mailbox.
( Last edited by WJMoore; Dec 31, 2004 at 09:33 PM. )

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2004, 11:23 PM

The thing I don't get is that there's an option of "if equal to" and you should be able to put nothing in there so it catches message content equal to nothing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules