Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .Mac 2.5

.Mac 2.5
rnwjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 10:03 AM

I am new to .Mac with my mini... Am I better off buying .Mac 2.5 Retail from Amazon.com for $79.99 or subscribing online for $99.99... Not sure if I am missing something, but it is cheaper to join with a physical copy rather than an online download... Am I thinking the right direction???

-Bob

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 10:20 AM

You should get a discount on .mac after buying a new Mini.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 11:25 AM

There is no difference, Amazon is just offering a discount. I don't think there even is a box really, I think it is just for show. I have used .Mac since it was iTools and have never received a box.

Anyway, go with the cheaper option.

-- Jason

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 12:32 PM

you get a deal through the apple website I believe for69.99, that's the way I have got it for the last 2 years.

Mike S.
Senior User
Feb 12, 2005, 02:27 PM

There is a box, I have one.

The box is just marketing, the disc simply contains the software you can download for free as a member (not the extra stuff, the standard items) and the only thing you really want inside the box is the activation code (which can also be used for renewals).

I got the box for renewal and saved $20, if I just got a mini I would take advantage of the new buyer sign up price of $69.

rnwjr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 05:33 PM

Is the new buyer sign up price a rebate??? I see a link to download a pdf and it states within 30 days of purchase, which I purchased it on 1/13, but in the same cupon it asks for a upc from the mac box and the .mac box... Is there a link for an immediate discount w/o a rebate form...

-Bob

Originally posted by Mike S.:
There is a box, I have one.

The box is just marketing, the disc simply contains the software you can download for free as a member (not the extra stuff, the standard items) and the only thing you really want inside the box is the activation code (which can also be used for renewals).

I got the box for renewal and saved $20, if I just got a mini I would take advantage of the new buyer sign up price of $69.

Mike S.
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 01:35 AM

I don't really know the details of how it works, somebody once told me that when you buy at, say, an Apple Store you pick up .Mac with it and they give you the price of $69.

It seem reasonable that with a new Mac purchase from any other place that the discount would come in the form of a rebate by proving you just bought a new Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules