Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No sound with Beige G3 + Jaguar

No sound with Beige G3 + Jaguar
mgpalma
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 05:00 PM

I upgraded a Beige G3 MT to Mac OS X 10.2.8 and installed the following

- G4/500 ZIF card (Sonnet)
- ATA 66 PCI card (Sonnet)
- 20GB ATA Drive
- Firewire/USB PCI Card (Sonnet)
- 360MB Ram

The machine really works beautifully with one exception, it has no sound. The startup chime works fine but absolutely nothing else does. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Would a PCI sound card work? I am guessing that Jaguar does not support the Personality Card in this old Mac. Is that right?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
-
Michael

-Q-
Nov 13, 2003, 06:17 PM

Odd. My old beige played sound just fine under Jag (and no, the personality card isn't supported).

Have you plugged in external speakers to see if it works that way? Or if you have them plugged in, unplug them and see if the mac will play sound thru the built-in speaker. Also check the sound system pref, just to see what the sound output is set to. That's controlled separately from the start-up chime I believe.

I wouldn't recommend a sound card quite yet but there are some out there that would probably work if we can't figure out the issue.

afriedma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 04:08 AM

I have pretty much the same configuration and the same problem. I even replaced my A/V personality card with the standard sound only one, as well as adding a Radeon PCI video card. I'm baffled too.
A.L.F.

mgpalma  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

I archived and installed then upgraded ONLY to 10.2.6 and sound works fine. Strange.

Thanks for the input though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules