Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Powerbook Display Cracks

17" Powerbook Display Cracks
PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 11:40 AM

Check out this persons post about his new Powerbook....17" Display Cracks

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 12:06 PM

OH MY GOD...(he says checking the screen)

djjava
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
Check out this persons post about his new Powerbook....17" Display Cracks
Stories like this make me never want to move my PB17... but mine was purchased on Amex, so I'm in the clear.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 12:34 PM

i would have to die if that ever happened to me.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 12:49 PM

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 12:49 PM

I think what is worse than the crack, is the response from Apple. When my 12" was melting they told me the bezel around my display was damaged by me! I think it's in Apples best interest to fix this guys display and avoid the negative comments about AppleCare.

blacksheep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 01:43 PM

Bizarre. What actually happened? Is the 17"PB that fragile. There was an earlier rumour about the delayed shipment of the 17" PB due to some screen problem. Is this it? Hope, it's an isolated case and I do wish that the guy gets his 17"PB replaced soon. AppleCare Plan? No comment.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2003, 02:17 PM

Whoa, that's terrible!!! Poor guy!

I'm assuming he had to forcefully open it b/c the latch wouldn't release, and in doing so it probably put abnormal pressure on the screen and more like ripped it than shattered it.

I have no idea what I'd do if Apple wouldn't repair it...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Stories like this make me never want to move my PB17... but mine was purchased on Amex, so I'm in the clear.
Just curious about why you feel so confident. I've got an American Express Rewards Plus gold card, which offers some protection, but it doesn't appear to be that great:

Buyer's Assurance
The Buyer's Assurance Plan extends the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty on a covered product purchased entirely with the Card up to one additional year on U.S. warranties of five years or less.6

6 The Buyer's Assurance Plan coverage is limited to eligible products costing $10,000 or less, excluding taxes, up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Green Bay, WI. Coverage is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0953.
Yeah, that's great that it extends Apple's warranty out to two years, but if Apple won't cover it within the first year...what good will that do you?

Purchase Protection Plan
The Purchase Protection Plan provides added protection-at no extra cost-for accidental damage to or theft of covered items purchased with the Card.8

8 The Purchase Protection Plan covers items purchased with the Card for 90 days from the date of purchase, up to $1,000 per occurrence, $50,000 per Cardmember per policy year, in excess of other applicable insurance. For more details or to file a claim, call 1-800-322-1277. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Green Bay, WI. Coverage is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0951.
Well, that's nice...as long as the damage comes within 90 days of the date of purchase. And considering that it took Amazon a month to get the PowerBook to me, 1/3 of that coverage was for when I never even had the dang thing. It's also limited to $1000.

Is there any coverage that I'm missing?

That (along with the synaptics touchpad) is what I really miss from my Dell. You could (for about the same price as Apple Care) buy a 3-year warranty which would cover accidents, acts of nature, etc. - basically anything that wasn't already covered by your homeowner's policy (theft) and intentional damage.

I've got a call in to my insurance agent, but unfortunately she's out of town until Monday. But I do intend on getting some type of coverage. This thing is just too dang expensive not to.

My wife's wedding ring is scheduled (and does not cost that much extra per month), so I don't see why I can't do the same for a notebook.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 02:48 PM

What's Amex's policy on something like this? Any personal experience?
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

djjava
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
What's Amex's policy on something like this? Any personal experience?
amex has always had this kinda of protection. That's one fo the reasons why I usd my father's amex, instead of my mastercard. I just wish I didn't have to pay him back... ouch.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 03:34 PM

amex has always had this kinda of protection. That's one fo the reasons why I usd my father's amex, instead of my mastercard. I just wish I didn't have to pay him back... ouch.
Could you please respond to my above message. I'm curious if AMEX offers any protection other than what I'm familiar with.

Thanks.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by PabloTX:
Could you please respond to my above message. I'm curious if AMEX offers any protection other than what I'm familiar with.

Thanks.
I know only by reputation... here is info I found on from http://home3.americanexpress.com/car...sp?CCREG=MAYC2

Buyer's Assurance �Extends the manufacturer's warranty on many items for up to one additional year.

Return Protection�If the merchant won't give a refund, American Express will on your eligible Card

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 04:53 PM

I know only by reputation... here is info I found on from http://home3.americanexpress.com/car...sp?CCREG=MAYC2

Buyer's Assurance �Extends the manufacturer's warranty on many items for up to one additional year.

Again, as I listed above, the limitations are such that even with this 'Assurance', such cases as a cracked LCD would not be covered, as if Apple doesn't cover it at all in it's first year, then it won't cover in the extended second either.

Buyer's Assurance
The Buyer's Assurance Plan extends the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty on a covered product purchased entirely with the Card up to one additional year on U.S. warranties of five years or less.6

6 The Buyer's Assurance Plan coverage is limited to eligible products costing $10,000 or less, excluding taxes, up to $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Green Bay, WI. Coverage is subject to the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0953.

Return Protection�If the merchant won't give a refund, American Express will on your eligible Card
You might want to read the entire description:

Return Protection
Return Protection lets you return a covered item purchased with the Card [ even if you purchased it online ] when the merchant won't take it back. Just contact us within 90 days of the purchase, and you will be reimbursed for the full purchase price, up to $300 per covered item.9

So it allows you to return the item if the retailer wom't take it back...as long as you do so within 90 days of purchase and the item costs less than $300.

So while there are some very real advantages to AMEX, don't assume that incidents such as this will be covered. You might want to think about looking at alternatives.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 05:11 PM

I guess their reputation is better than the reality...

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 06:12 PM

Bad news for that Big Al! However, (the infamous however), none of us know anything other than what this guy is telling us happened. While I really feel for him, that's about all I can do. He could have done nothing, he could have bumped it days earlier that would start the cracking process. Who knows?

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 08:29 PM

I wouldn't take that crap from Apple. If something like that happened to my PB17, and Apple gave me crap...

could you take them to small claims court? They can't prove that you were negligent, if you're within the period you're covered under APP or whatever - a defect in the product damn well better be covered, and Apple has not right to accuse you of being to blame...

damn that pisses me off to hear stories like that.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 08:59 PM

CompUSA's TAP Laptop extended warranty covers screen replacements and accidental damage in addition to other extended warranty features. I bought a 2 year plan in NYC for $350 to cover a 12" AlBook, and I am entitled to one replacement during that time plus other repairs, phone support, etc. (I doubt if the phone support is a s good as AppleCare, but I can troubleshoot software issues myself and really just want the hardware coverage). Also, you can o can buy TAP coverage even if you didn't buy your PowerBook from CompUSA -- it must be within warranty and be inspected by the folks at CompUSA. I bought the 12" at Apple SoHo and two days later took it in to CompUSA.

If I bought a 17" PB, I would definitely get this coverage. As Steve Jobs said, "This is a lot of glass."

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 03:18 AM

Wow... I'm glad I'm not in his shoe! Hope that I will never see my beloved 17" do that...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules