Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the confused little pixel; intermittently stuck

the confused little pixel; intermittently stuck
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 11:14 PM

after getting my screen fixed from the WS issue, it has one pixel that will only occassionally get stuck. sometimes it blends right in (independent of display color) and sometimes it gets stuck (light color). it's no big deal...only one pixel, but i thought it was a once stuck, always stuck kinda thing. anyone else getting this?
15 inches of aluminum fury

ibook_steve
Feb 25, 2004, 12:29 AM

There are many, many posts about stuck pixels. Do a search and you'll find them. Try rubbing the pixel. You may get lucky and get it turned back on.

Steve

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 01:28 AM

I have 4 of these "on sometimes, off sometimes" pixels on my 4th replacement PB 15" due to white spots.

I received a PowerBook that was manufactured during the last week of December 2003. It has a much sturdier lid... no LCD pooling... no white spots.... BUT it does have 4 half-brite stuck pixels.

Frustrating.

Can Apple sell a 15" AlBook with a defect-free screen?
( Last edited by Target Practice; Feb 25, 2004 at 11:55 AM. )

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 02:29 AM

You guys are totally scaring me about the bad pixel issue. I want to get my white spots fixed but I keep hearing about people with bad pixels, and sometimes totally unrelated problems that their PBs return with after screen replacements. I love my PB except for the white spots, and I don't want it to come back worse than it is. For some reason, even though the white spots are visible from all the way across the room, I don't mind them as much as the tiny single stuck pixel on my 23" cinema display. Whenever I see it, it makes me so mad (maybe because I paid as much for the monitor as the whole PB, but that's another story). I'm blessed with perfect pixels on my PB, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Now I'm thinking I should wait a while longer before trying to get it fixed. I still have another six months of warranty, maybe they'll get some better screens.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2004, 03:14 AM

Target Practice, did they all appear at the same time, or close to the same time? a few weeks ago i did the massage trick, and it didn't seem to help at first. then, days later after a restart, the stuck pixel was gone/unstuck. then back again, etc. it's been working for a few days now, so maybe the confusion is over.

kp, as far as worrying about pixels, i wouldn't let that stop you. i had the white spots and they were far more annoying than the one problem pixel. if you work on images at all, you can usually avoid a pixel or two. the spots are too large to stay away from.

steve, i've read most of the posts on stuck pixels and had never seen anyone post about one working intermittently. that's the only reason i posted this.
15 inches of aluminum fury

hayesk
Feb 25, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Target Practice:
I have 4 of these "on sometimes, off sometimes" pixels on my 4th replacement PB 15" due to white spots.

Can Apple sell a 15" AlBook with a defect-free screen?
Probably. But stuck pixels happen all the time with all makers of LCDs. Apple didn't switch to a more "defective" brand. On a screen that size, 4 pixels is not surprising.

If the pixels are close together (i.e. within an inch), then I believe you qualify for replacement. Otherwise, massage them with a soft cloth and hope they come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules