Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does your new Powerbook have any dead or stuck pixels on the display?

Does your new Powerbook have any dead or stuck pixels on the display?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 09:53 PM

I'm wondering if those who have received any of the new just released Powerbooks have any dead or stuck pixels on your display.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 09:57 PM

brand new 8 hour old 12" powerbook 1.3 here..

as far as I can tell not one dead pixel.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 10:01 PM

New 15" and I have one strange pixel. It was all good for about the first hour in a half, now the pixel isn't really stuck, cause when I run the pixel checking software, it shows each individual color fine, but when it tries to create a color of mixed primaries, it showsas a blue-green color.
Mr. CaN

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Apr 28, 2004, 10:25 PM

Pixel checking software?

My brand new PB 12" came with 2 DVD's (restore) only.

Shall I assume that the hardware check stuff is on these DVD's?

Thanks in advance.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by MrCaN:
New 15" and I have one strange pixel. It was all good for about the first hour in a half, now the pixel isn't really stuck, cause when I run the pixel checking software, it shows each individual color fine, but when it tries to create a color of mixed primaries, it showsas a blue-green color.
I have four of these half-bright pixels on my third white spot replacement 1.25 GHz PB.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 10:51 PM

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 11:08 PM

Yup, received PB yesterday, didn't notice stuck pixel until a dark background came up. It is stuck in blue, and won't massage out.

Whatever, the machine rocks. 3 million pixels and subpixels, 1 bad one... what can ya do?

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by James L:
Yup, received PB yesterday, didn't notice stuck pixel until a dark background came up. It is stuck in blue, and won't massage out.

Whatever, the machine rocks. 3 million pixels and subpixels, 1 bad one... what can ya do?
ask apple to change the policy. perhaps get money back or credit for an apple product for dead pixel on delivery of new machine. i don't know. i have one lousy white pixel- it's annoying- i wish i could exchange this machine. i want the screen clean, i work alot in dark hues. can't always get what youi want however, but i;ll be darned if i;m not going to try and get a new display-yep it is an incredible machine however! incredibly fast. truly amazing.

12 inch pwerbook 80 gig harddrive

mel

gostan
Apr 29, 2004, 06:08 AM

My new 15 PB has one verry small white pixel in the upper 1/4 of lcd. I noticed it immmediately and am quite disappointed as I have never had a pixel issue (this is not a major issue-but the lcd should be perfect for the $$) with an Apple Computer. Is a white pixel something that might massage out and disappear?
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

Kerf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:11 PM

15" Powerbook 1.5Ghz

I ran PiXel Check V1.2 - no stuck or dead pixels. I've had powerbook since Monday.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 10:05 PM

The cost of an LCD screen with guaranteed no problematic pixels would be a LOT higher than it is now. If you think PBs are expensive as is this would really bug you.

My stuck pixel does bug me, but less each day and I will eventually get used to it.

Incidently, I spoke with a tech today who told me about a person who tried to rub out his pixel and caused 4 more to appear, so do it at your own risk!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 10:20 PM

new PB; one stuck pixel. Bummer.

jaxxe
May 1, 2004, 08:48 AM

PB 15" bought just under a week ago with no dead/stuck pixels. 12" was bought exactly a year ago... no dead/stuck pixes either. I must be very lucky to have two PBs with no blemishes. The 12" though, the lid/screen was warped at purchase on the right side, and has a hard time closing. Rev. b by the way.
24" iMac (Intel) / G4 15" PB; 1.5Ghz / G4 12" PB; 867Mhz
AGP Graphics G4 Desktop; 350Mhz
5G - 30 Gigabyte iPod / 4G - 40 Gigabyte iPod / 1G - 5 Gigabyte iPod
Airport Extreme / Airport Express /
iSight

gostan
May 1, 2004, 09:02 AM

the only time I can see the one white pixel is on the blue start-up screen. Other than that, in everyday use, it is almost impossible to find.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 10:08 AM

i'm sorry to say, but apple (and all the lcd manufacturers) have a minimum number of dead pixels you need before they will replace the monitor.

i had a white one on my first ibook. i almost cried when i saw it, then i got clever and started finding wallpapers that hid it.

my 12" powerbook, it's replacement screen, and my 15" have not had any.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 03:09 AM

Green it twas midway top to bottom, one inch left of the locking clasp.

they wouldnt replace with new without 10% restock

only switch for "refeshed" laptops.

mine was less than 20 hours old. Genius told me may fix itself, may not. referred me to a sales manager to see if swappable

first told me no, need restock fee, or switch for refreshed.
then he had to help another customer/staff. told me to thinka bout it .. my only two options.

i was gonna be fine with that green pixel. it blends in on white, but bugs me when pix, movies are involved. couldnt massage out with radtech screensaverz or with the protection sheet that came with laptop.

but his attitude upset me. he said pixels are common. millions of pixels one or two are bound to be busted. said his last laptop had 3 or 4 dead. i was like .. the genius said it was pretty rare

i ranted (long rant with lots of reasons why it blows to treat apple customers this way) and he said .. you know what .. i'll bring up a new laptop, we'll open it together, we'll check it out together, and it'll be a either or. either u take the new one, or the one u walked in with, but that's it. i cant do anything else for you. if the new laptop has more dead pixels, it's too bad, you'll still have to choose one or the other.

i was like .. great, that's what i wanted in the first place.

was worried he'd bring a "refreshed" one, but he didnt, it was sealed in it's applebox, which was sealed in the cardboard shipping box. no dead pixel, realized screen was a notch dimmer.

literally, side by side, i turned the original one down by one notch, same desktop wallpaper, it is indeed one notch dimmer.

interestingly, the new pbook had better color! .. the gray wallpaper looked gray on the new one, the old laptop the gray looked brownish on the wallpaper! .. i was like .. Score! .. they were both calibrated the same btw.

So .. i brought the new one home .. and heya .. found something else out too .. the viewing angle is wider on this new one! by alot! ... fantastic ... this thing looks sharp.

so .. to wrap it up .. the sales manager originally didnt want to swap one with one dead pixel, but i'm a perfectionist, and the pixel was close to center. i'll save the type, this is long enough. if u want to know what i said, message me. might give u a bit extra ammo in your negotiations. but .. wow .. even though they dont swap one dead pixel .. they swapped mine .. swish .. i'm happy as can be ...

best of luck to you guys when u guys try to swap .. if you try. and sorry if this post peeves you guys.

it is a fantastic laptop, pixel or not. btw it's a powerbook 12inch 1.33ghz, combo drive (rev C) soon to add 512 more ram on it (it's in the mail) ... now to find a tiny screwdriver...

JKT
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 06:39 AM

My new powerbook arrived yesterday and I'm happy to say I have no bad pixels

vandelay
May 7, 2004, 06:55 AM

My 17" Powerbook arrived a week ago without any dead pixels. ( I did hold my breath after pushing the power button until i was sure )

Phil the Fish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 08:28 AM

No bad pixels on my new 15" .....

Phil
Phil the Fish
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB, IGB RAM/128MB VRAM
PM G4 D500 1.25GB RAM, 40GB HD

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 09:00 AM

Lancer409, you're lucky, very nice work.

mnemons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 10:06 AM

After using this brand new 15" 1.5Ghz PB for a week, a dead pixel finally appeared. I did run the Pixel Check on the first day, no dead pixel was found, but yesterday I found one dead pixel in Red while watching DVD. It locates in the area where OSX menu bar is. It means you won't see it until you hide the menu bar. I tried not to be bothered by it, however, sometimes, it's hard to get over it when you know it's there.
Life is too important to be taken seriously -Oscar Wilde

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 10:49 AM

15" 1.5

no problems with the display, or computer what-so-ever

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 11:45 AM

mdc - Thanks I got lucky

pigbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 10:02 PM

new pb today. 1 dead pixel. grrrrrrrrr!

at least it is in the top right and I only noticed it with the pixel checker...

jez

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 10:06 PM

No dead pixels or white spots.

superamit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 11:17 PM

New 17" 1.5 Ghz came in today. No dead pixels. Screen is bright and true. Yippee!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 02:03 AM

PBG4 1.33GHz - one week old and so far no bad pixels
(makes up for the stuck pixel I have on my old iBook)


bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 03:02 AM

Usually hard stuck pixels will always be there when you get the machine. Ones that appear later can almost always be eliminated by gently rubbing it with a soft cloth. I've had one appear on a previous PowerBook and was able to rub it away. It came back a couple of days later, I rubbed it again and it was gone for good.

Originally posted by mnemons:
After using this brand new 15" 1.5Ghz PB for a week, a dead pixel finally appeared. I did run the Pixel Check on the first day, no dead pixel was found, but yesterday I found one dead pixel in Red while watching DVD. It locates in the area where OSX menu bar is. It means you won't see it until you hide the menu bar. I tried not to be bothered by it, however, sometimes, it's hard to get over it when you know it's there.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Scoo
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 08:51 AM

Had my refurb 15.2 1.25 Ghz about 2 months, one strangely gray pixel 2/3 from the top, not too noticeable. Most of the time I run on an external monitor anyway. Love my PowerBook!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

chu-ka-pi
May 9, 2004, 06:05 AM

The manufacturing process for LCD is quite archaical. IIRC, it
involves rubbing the LCD with velvet (or something like that)
to magnetize the screen. Unfortunately this process is far from
being perfect as it fails for a non negligible ratio of screens.
Having too strigent criteria for the number of "acceptable" bad
pixels will undoubtfully drive the price waaay up (since a larger
percentage of screens will have to be trashed).

However, the "new-owner bad-pixel fear" is likely to become
a thing of the past... well... in a few years that is. I remember
having read a few months (or could it be years) that IBM was
working on a brand new way to make LCD, replacing the
velvet method from the middle-age with an electron ray. This
will dramatically reduce the failure ratio resulting, for us consumers,
in better screens and virtually no more bad pixels.

I don't know how far this process is from industrialization. Has
anybody any news on it?

CKP

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:16 PM

New 17" PB here, no dead pixels.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 10:12 PM

Well, I my new PB has formed its 2nd bad pixel already, and it hasn't even been a month, I can't wait to see how many more I get while Apple says, "thats normal, in fact I wold worry about the LCD if it didn't have bad pixels, bad pixels means good LCD."
Mr. CaN

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 11:07 PM

About a day and a half with my new 12". So far so good. All the pixels seem to be perfect.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2004, 12:09 AM

Bad pixels aren't something that grow over time. While it's theoretically possible that the transitor in a pixel could fail, I've never heard of a case. Bad pixels are a manufacturing defect. You either get them or you don't when it's built.

If you had one "go bad" afterwards it's likely one of the soft stuck pixels. You should be able to gently massage it and bring it back to life.

Originally posted by MrCaN:
Well, I my new PB has formed its 2nd bad pixel already, and it hasn't even been a month, I can't wait to see how many more I get while Apple says, "thats normal, in fact I wold worry about the LCD if it didn't have bad pixels, bad pixels means good LCD."
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

MrCaN
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
Bad pixels aren't something that grow over time. While it's theoretically possible that the transitor in a pixel could fail, I've never heard of a case. Bad pixels are a manufacturing defect. You either get them or you don't when it's built.

If you had one "go bad" afterwards it's likely one of the soft stuck pixels. You should be able to gently massage it and bring it back to life.
This may be true, but my first pixel was all good, untill about 6 hours into the use when it showed up, so I'm guessing massaging isn't working, though I am still going to call it, but I will be calling apple anyway, because i feel if they are going bad, then it is something else, not a manugacturing defect like you said, they would have already been bad.
Mr. CaN

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 01:07 PM

Yup

Brought home 12" powerbook and sure enough a shiny bright red pixel in the lower right. It wasn't too bad (unless I was watching a video). Massaging didn't work. I ended up returning the 12" for a 14" ibook (my eyes weren't up to dealing with the small screen and the 15" powerbook was out of my price range). The new computer's screen appears to be fine.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 09:02 PM

New PowerBook 12 (1.33) for a week now, no dead pixels.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 09:10 PM

I've had my 12" SD for about 5 days. No dead or stuck pixels. And the screen is really nice. Even, sharp and bright.

Forum Links
Forum Rules