Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Should I buy the Microsoft Office suite now or wait?

Should I buy the Microsoft Office suite now or wait?
mrtaxman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 01:36 PM

I have a new Core2Duo iMac that came pre-installed with Microsoft Office, and my question is should I buy it now, or wait until they release a universal version?

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 02:04 PM

If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it now, wait until you do need it and buy the current version at that time.

Your trial version will only run for 30 days, and Office 2008 for Mac won't be out for at least 6 months.
-- Jason

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 02:06 PM

If you can stand NeoOffice for 6 months, then wait.

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2007, 02:34 PM

Another 6 months until the new office? Damn. I'm getting sick of Office for my MacBook. It's by far the slowest program w. the Intel chip.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/
I agree. Use Neooffice for now, and save your docs as Office. As long as you don't use Templates it should work fine.
My Blog-pakos.me

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
I agree. Use Neooffice for now, and save your docs as Office. As long as you don't use Templates it should work fine.
You can even save them as ODF, as Office 2008 will feature ODF compatibility.

EDIT: To answer the question, I'd suggest you wait for now, use Neo for a while, and then pick up Office 2008 when it comes out later this year.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 01:20 AM

Abiword is also a great option:

fjf's (Cocoa) AbiWord for Mac (MacOSX) page

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post

NeoOffice Home
That's what I was going to say too--I wouldn't buy Office at all!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 04:48 PM

I would "borrow" it from a friend... and buy once the update comes out.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 06:41 PM

Office is terribly slow on my MB.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 06:44 PM

I've had no problems with the speed of Office 2004 on my 2.0 GHz C2D iMac at work. It's not noticeable to me at all, when compared to either my 1 GHz Ti PowerBook G4 or my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 at home.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 09:28 PM

Unless you need to use MS Office now, just wait. Office 2008 will run natively on Intel Macs, so with your C2D it should be much faster than 2004. I'd just use AbiWord or NeoOffice for the time being.

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 03:41 PM

When I'm typing in larger Word files, there will occasionally be a noticeable lag between my typing and the appearance of the characters on the screen. I've also had a couple of weird issues with "invisible" text--the cursor is moving, but the words aren't appearing in the document.

I assume the Universal version of Office will take care of this?

And we're looking at a summer release?

Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 06:03 AM

I've just installed office 2004 on my mbp but whenever i open excel, word or powerpoint i get a message that says-an unexpected error occured when opening windows framework-or words to that effect.
i was wondering if anyone could help or shed light on the matter

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
I've just installed office 2004 on my mbp but whenever i open excel, word or powerpoint i get a message that says-an unexpected error occured when opening windows framework-or words to that effect.
i was wondering if anyone could help or shed light on the matter
Go to your Documents folder and move the Microsoft User Data folder to the trash (don't empty it yet in case you need it again later) and re-open the programs.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 12:24 PM

buy it now.
Its too important to wait 6 months, and no one upgrades when Office is first out... too buggy!
we don't have time to stop for gas

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 01:35 PM

Where I work, we can buy it for $20. (Takes about 6 weeks for shipping though). If you can do this at work, or know someone that can, that is a good option until the new one comes out.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 06:26 PM

If you're livelyhood depends on it, then I say just suck it up and buy it.

If you can wait, or you have no other need for Microsoft Office other than it being the defacto standard, then give other apps a try. NeoOffice is pretty good. I've not had it crash and its Word-compatibility seems decent - very complex formatting will get lost, and some colored text doesn't seem to be exactly the same color when viewed in NeoOffice, but otherwise pretty good. The spreadsheet module, at least for my simple files, does just fine with Excel-compatibility. Haven't really played with the presentation module, but for basic things I understand it does reasonably well with PowerPoint compatibility.

Nisus Writer Express is a good word processor and its native file format is .rtf, so most Windows Office users will never notice you didn't send them a .doc file.

Apple's Pages is not too bad, either. Its OK as a basic word processor, though the page-layout templates may or may not be of use to you. Keynote is way, way better than PowerPoint, and does a good job of importing and exporting PowerPoint files. But be careful, if you make your own presentations, its easy to use features in Keynote that don't translate well in to PowerPoint.

I'm finding Office 2007 on Windows Vista to be really nice, actually (one of the few probably), so you could always consider running Parallels (though will end up costing much more than just buying Office 2004 for the Mac). Windows Office 2000 from what I've read is supposed to be very compatible with CrossOver VM engine for the Mac, so you could run it without needing to purchase Windows or setting aside hard drive space for a Windows installation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules