Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Formating a Mac format Zipdisk to PC format in the MacOS

Formating a Mac format Zipdisk to PC format in the MacOS
roders
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 12:30 AM

I know this is ridiculously easy but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it, I've tried the erase disk/initialise command under the special menu but I've only got the option of reformating the disk in either HFS or HFS+.
I've also tried Iomega tools which is suppossed to offer this functionality but the button I'm supposed to select doesn't even exist in the program! (I've got the lates version)
I was sure that this functionality was built into the Mac OS but if not does anyone Know of a third party utility or shareware program that I could use?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2000, 01:12 AM

apparently, you're only supposed to change the format of a zip disk by erasing it with the iomega tools program and a long erase. (doesn't mean you have to... it's just what they recommend.)

that said, there's a complication. while the 250MB drives will read, write, and short erase 100MB disks, they will not long erase them. if you're trying to change the format of a 100MB disk, this might explain why the button isn't there.

-r.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 01:32 AM

I'm using a 100MB USB Zip Drive with OS 9.0.4, & I'm not a happy chappy.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2000, 01:41 AM

hmmm. that's uh... w e i r d . have you got all the iomegatools software installed? i wonder if the tools application needs the actual iomega extensions to be installed, not just the stock apple USB mass storage extensions.

(if you aren't able to get it working, you might try formatting it on the windows machine you'll be using it with.)

-r.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 11:19 AM

I have all the latest relevant Iomega extensions installed (as much as I dislike having them active or even in my system folder) because "Tools" will not see my Zip drive without them. Yes, I've got all the Tools software installed, as far as I'm aware.
The actual instruction to "Change a MacOS disk to to PC/Dos format" in the Tools Help info is -

Open the Tools program & select the "Format" button on the main Tools screen.

Select "PC/Dos" format

In the space "Disk Name:" type a name for the disk you are formatting.

Select "Long Erase" & then the "erase" button.

My problem as stated before is that the format button does not exist, & nor does any other button with the same/required functionality.
Also I believe a PC cannot see a Mac format disk if it is inserted in to a drive, this is why I'm trying to format it for a PC on my Mac.

P.S My Zip drive is using USB Drivers 1.4.3 according to Tools which itself is version 6.4.2 (the latest "V" I think).

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 11-11-2000).]

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2000, 03:07 PM

I have the Tools version 6.4.1 and when I open the application there are seven button selections across the top... the second button when clicked gives me a window with a 'Disk Name' space and below it a 'Format For' selection for Mac OS Standard, Mac OS Extended or DOS...Then below that two buttons with the choice of 'Long' or 'Short' Erase.

Do you not have the same thing? Odd if you do not.

Good luck, Matt

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2000, 08:23 PM

Everything is as you mention, except there is no Dos option under the "Format for selection" menu.
I have seen this option in Tools versions I have used in the past + I swear the same option is suppossed to be available from the "erase disk" command under the Special menu in the finder.
I don't know whats going on, is it something to do with the way my disks are currently formatted (HFS+) or maybe I have an extention disabled that enables this functionality, personaly I think I certain part of my OS is missing whatever that is!

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2000, 05:31 AM

Hi roders,

For possible explanations, see the earlier related threads here in this Forum (e.g., Zip disks and PC formatting), or over in the MacFixIt Forums (e.g., PC Exchange in OS9?). Both threads imply that it is necessary to use a "PC-enabled" version of Iomega Tools (it seems that occasionally Iomega disables this functionality in one version, then brings it back in another, although it's not clear whether this applies to SCSI or USB or both). The second thread also recommends enabling the File Exchange control panel if it's disabled. For even more fun, see also the USB Zip Tools not working with OS 9 thread which describes a bizarre "off size" issue that apparently used to prevent a Zip disk from being formatted as DOS in the Fnder, although this problem may have been fixed in current versions of IomegaWare.

However, note that some people claim that extensive use of PC-formatted disks under Mac OS 9 can lead to various problems, including lost files (e.g., see Aaarrgghh....pagemaker docs now have PC doc icon and I cannot open themicon, G4/OS9 killing Zip disks?? and Weird folder icon/label behavior w/iMac 9.0.4). Some folks also generally recommend using Apple's built-in USB Zip drivers instead of Iomega's.

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 11-14-2000).]

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2000, 07:48 AM

First of all thanx for everyone's help, secondly, I've got it working!!!
I'm just going to quickly explain how I did this so others wih the same prob know how to resolve it (I did not get the exact answer from the links above but they put me on the right track).
I own a Rev C iMac running Mac OS 9.04 with which I'm using a 100MB USB Zip Drive.
I downloaded the Latest Iomegaware installer 2.7.2 (Incl Tools + Iomega drivers) & Uninstalled my then present Iomegaware, although this uninstaller only removes the Tools program, you'll need to manualy remove ALL Iomega drivers from your extensions folder, then activate the PC exchange control panel in the extensions manager, then Restart.
Right next, open the installer & choose CUSTOM install, select only the USB drivers from the Iomega drivers menu, & the Tools app from Iomega Apps.
Click install then restart when the install has finished.
When your machine has restarted open Tools & the DOS format option (use the tools help guide to find out how to find the DOS reformat option) should be available.
P.S I can only use "Tools" to convert Mac format disks to Dos, the "erase disk" command under the Special menu in the finder, still does not list Dos as a reformat option.
+ I reformated the Zip as HFS+ before I did any of the above, using the "erase disk" command under the Special menu in the finder; not using tools.

Again many thanx to everyone who posted

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 11-14-2000).]

Bobby
Nov 22, 2000, 10:29 PM

To change a mac zip disk to a PC zip disk you will need to use one of the iomega tools to do it (I can't remember which one off the top of my head). I've never been able to get it to work in MacOS alone, with any revision of the iomega software and OS updates...

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules