Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why install Java? (PC question)

Why install Java? (PC question)
Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2010, 04:02 PM

Where I work there has been a rash of viruses that used outdated Java to infect PCs. For whatever reason, it's just the default to install Java on all machines, but I have to wonder "Why?" I and one other lady I work with use some accounting type software that requires Java, but as far as I know most others in our group don't run anything that uses it. Wouldn't it make sense to just remove Java from the computers that don't require it? Or am I missing something here -- Is it used for more things that I know? I'm not really a computer expert...

Cold Warrior
Aug 26, 2010, 06:51 PM

I've seen it used in online banking, crypto/security card web software, and stand-alone programs, among other things. I think it's used often enough that it's easier to install it by default than for IT to handle by-request installs.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2010, 09:53 PM

Many photo sharing sites use it as well as their uploading method. Not that that is probably used too much as work though.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2010, 10:12 PM

The only java I use any more is the ROES system for image uploading and print ordering for professional photography.

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2010, 11:22 PM

I've seen it used in online banking, crypto/security card web software
That's basically what we're using it for.
Many photo sharing sites use it as well as their uploading method
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. I work at on a univerisity campus and our web space software also uses java for uploading files (although you can upload without it).

Thorzdad
Aug 27, 2010, 07:52 AM

Our state-wide community college system uses Blackboard for its online/distance-learning component, and it uses Java quite heavily.

Forum Links
Forum Rules