Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Spoiled by the iPhone interface

Spoiled by the iPhone interface
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 01:03 PM

My brother upgraded his phone to an iPhone. With that upgrade came a "free" texting phone that he offered me so I could replace my phone.

"Free" because it's really $50, with a $50 mail in rebate, and you still have to pay tax on the retail price of the phone at $300, so that's another $30.

So I thought, OK, $30. I'll go for it. I spent about an hour looking at the various phones because I couldn't decide which one I wanted. Then it occurred to me quite suddenly that I wasn't deciding which phone I wanted, I was deciding which phone I hated the least. It was like I was voting for a presidential candidate.

Every single one of those stupid phones were horrible. Gods sake, I'm still using a 7-year-old Ericsson T-306 phone and these stupid companies can't come up with anything better? All of them had some horrible interface.

Even with the iPhone's initial lacking of basic features, the interface alone is a godsend. It's no wonder the iPhone took over the market relatively over night.

I didn't take the "free" phone. I decided to save my pennies and I'll get an iPhone sometime in June. I hadn't stepped into a cell phone store in 7 years, I don't know what I was expecting. After the iPhone I thought maybe the other phones would be really cool, too. Disappointing.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I was deciding which phone I hated the least. It was like I was voting for a presidential candidate.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 03:34 PM

My brother upgraded his phone to an iPhone. With that upgrade came a "free" texting phone that he offered me so I could replace my phone.
What's a "texting" phone? It can't make calls?

It's no wonder the iPhone took over the market relatively over night.
what? 3% after 2.5 years is the worst overnight takeover ever.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Enjoying those sour grapes? ROTFLMAO.

The entire industry is trying to imitate the iPhone. Every new phone is benchmarked against the iPhone. It's probably one of the most impressive tech takeovers we've seen in the past decade. And this from a company who previously had zero experience in the market. Facing competitors who had 15+ years to get it right and failed. In their core market.

The iPhone is the gold standard of smart phones. And Apple still has a good lead. Plus with competition from Android it's bound to only get better.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2010, 11:18 AM

I can't text on a "normal" phone now. Even a on a Blackberry I'm pretty slow.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2010, 02:00 PM

Even the "best" alternative to the iphone such as the nexus still has a poorly throughout and hacked interface.

-Q-
Mar 3, 2010, 02:08 PM

Dug out the old unlocked Motorola SLVR the other day to test it (wife needed for a trip abroad) and when I went to test the texting had to really stop and think how I used to do that. I just can't imagine going back to a 'regular' phone at this point. The iPhone interface has me totally 'trained.'

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 02:21 PM

What's a "texting" phone? It can't make calls?
Any of their marked phones with a QWERTY keyboard, except the Blackberry.

Apple became the 3rd largest cell phone manufacturer in just 2.5 years. Yes, that's only 3% globally, but they passed up HTC in 1/3 the time, and is quickly catching up with RIM in a position which took them over 10 years to get. I'm not sure why you're laughing.

When compared to other smart phones, Apple holds 18% of the market.

Nearly every smartphone company is now trying to make a phone that looks and acts like an iPhone. Like Microsoft and the PC manufacturers, they grew complacent in their dominance and got caught flat footed.

Edit: What Simon said.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Mar 3, 2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: What Simon said.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2010, 10:09 AM

I totally agree. I can't even use my wife's phone to look up a phone number, nevermind send a text message. I too am spoiled by the iphone.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 6, 2010, 07:40 AM

In all fairness, a significant factor in cellphones' suckiness is the carriers. The handset makers apparently have wanted for years to make more advanced phones, only to have ATT, Verizon, and Sprint pull all the good features from the custom firmware, be it to replace a good feature with a revenue generator (e.g. the 3 redundant buttons to the VZW "web" browser), or to force data to flow over the network at data rates (instead of bluetooth or USB), etc.

Apple was the first handset maker to basically say no to the carriers.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Which is just another smart decision they took. And just another reason the iPhone is so great.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Not in all cases.

Apple seems to try to please AT&T.

E.g., iPad no BT tethering - I'm pretty certain this was a AT&T mandate.
Just like AT&T mandated that the iPhone have no tethering at all in the first 2 years.
Then Apple got enough pressure from users and providers that would allow BT tethering that they implemented it for the iPhone. Sans AT&T, of course.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not in all cases.

Apple seems to try to please AT&T.

E.g., iPad no BT tethering - I'm pretty certain this was a AT&T mandate.
Just like AT&T mandated that the iPhone have no tethering at all in the first 2 years.
Then Apple got enough pressure from users and providers that would allow BT tethering that they implemented it for the iPhone. Sans AT&T, of course.

-t
I was thinking the same thing. Lack of tethering was entirely done to please ATT and had nothing to do with any technological problem. I still don't know why I can't do it with ATT or why it costs so damn much.

I'm not sure who to blame for (the initial) lack of MMS support.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not in all cases.
Yep, you make a good point. There are indeed exceptions.

Apple not getting tethering with AT&T or their continued blocking of Skype over 3G reeks of AT&T appeasement rather than a technology-driven design choice with the focus on customer needs first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules