Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > upgrade from hell

upgrade from hell
dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2002, 09:01 AM

i just received my PowerLogix Powerforce G3 400 in the mail yesterday. I got it to tide me over until I can afford the Sonnet G4 800. I installed the upgrade in my PowerMac 8600 easy enough. It booted right up. Then, I had serious problems. The computer would constantly get system bus errors while booting OS 9 and would generally get a kernel panic when I booted into X. I tried lots and lots of different things. it took me about 5 hours of painstaking troubleshooting to realize that it was the RAM that comes standard in the 8600 that was causing the problem. when I removed it all the problems went away...sort of. The system was now running stable, but the main system drive has been damaged beyond repair. i am going to have to format and reinstall OS 9 and X on it. grrrr. I do have DiskWarrior but for some reason its 9.1 system folder will not boot...it always tries to load 9.2. once again...Grrrrrr.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules