Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac LC, and a few questions

Mac LC, and a few questions
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2002, 03:58 PM

Somehow owning a Cube as a first Mac wasn't enough, I now own an LC as well. And am trying to find something to do with it. (The LC was the first Mac I had a lot of experience with at school)

First off, a 40 meg drive is a bit limiting, considering the 7.5.2 update is 19 floppies worth. So, I have a ton of SCSI drives around here around a gig or two. Will the LC work with one of these?

And if I do replace the drive, how do I get it to boot? I have no software disks beyond the 7.5.2 download on ftp.apple.com.

And lastly, ethernet. I see an expansion slot inside, but I'm not sure what kind it is. I found a processor/ram/ethernet upgrade on Sonnet, but I probably won't drop $150 on this quite yet. Any idea on ethernet prices?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2002, 04:42 PM

The LC machines use the older NUBUS instead of pci. You may be able to find a card on ebay or try asante. As hard drives go it's scsi. Theirs probably only room for one drive inside. The 7.5 or 7.1 installers images are floppy images. One of them will have a copy of HD Setup on it that will partition apple HDs otherwise you'll need a 3rd part app or a patched version. If you had an external scsi case you could connect the second drive that way to format and install then swap it for the internal.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2002, 04:58 PM

Yep, only room for a single hard drive inside. I do have access to a few external drive cages here, but no 25 pin to 68 pin converters for SCSI.

I think I read somewhere that I could use Disk Copy on the files from here: ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Ar...Version_7.5.3/

I have them all on the old 40 meg drive, so now I just need a way to make an install disk set out of them.

Actually, how can I make a bootable floppy? If I remember right, it was just key files from the system folder. I could make one, swap the drive out, and get the new drive formatted and bootable, then use my floppies to get the 7.5.3 install files on it. Syste, 7.something is on the 40 meg.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2002, 05:54 PM

Ok, I've gotten a bit farther. I found System 6.0.8 boot disks on ftp.apple.com, but I can't format the new SCSI drive, the Apple HD SC Setup program dosen't see it.

It's a older SCSI drive, 9.1 gb Western Digital with a 50 pin SCSI connector.

My question now is, how do I get a disk setup utility that will work with a non Apple branded drive?

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2002, 07:02 PM

Ok, I found a disk utility that "sees anything that rotates", but it's .sit. Grr. (http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/bootdisks.html)

Anyone know where I can download a .bin version of Stuffit Expander? The Linux utility I'm using to copy mac files over to floppy can automaticially decode .bin files.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2002, 07:44 PM

Aha, the Apple utility didn't like non Apple drives, I forgot that. Found a handy workaround at MacFaq.org (http://www.macfaq.org/hardware/harddisk.shtml#Q2.2.2), and it's now currently initalizing the new SCSI drive (very slowly, oh well...)

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by BLAZE_MkIV:
The LC machines use the older NUBUS instead of pci.
The LC's actually used a special "LC" expansion slot. The IIsi however used a one of two model card riders (one for SE/30 expansion slot and one for NuBus). I think both riser cards came with an FPU as well.

I believe there were three types of LC expansion slots, the regular LC, the LCII and the LCIII--not sure if these were compatible between each other or not. The LCIII variety is what most LC expansion cards (video, ethernet) used since that variety was found in the LCIII, LC 475, 575, 630, and the similiarly named Performa and Quadra 605 machines.

As far as I know, the primary purpose of the LC expansion slot was for an Apple // compatibility card; the card had ports to connect Apple // floppy drives.

Check the 1991 MacWorld that featured the Classic, IIsi and LC (if you can find it) for some screenshots of the LC running Apple // games.

finboy
Aug 17, 2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Bwa:

The LC's actually used a special "LC" expansion slot. The IIsi however used a one of two model card riders (one for SE/30 expansion slot and one for NuBus). I think both riser cards came with an FPU as well.

I believe there were three types of LC expansion slots, the regular LC, the LCII and the LCIII--not sure if these were compatible between each other or not. The LCIII variety is what most LC expansion cards (video, ethernet) used since that variety was found in the LCIII, LC 475, 575, 630, and the similiarly named Performa and Quadra 605 machines.

As far as I know, the primary purpose of the LC expansion slot was for an Apple // compatibility card; the card had ports to connect Apple // floppy drives.

Check the 1991 MacWorld that featured the Classic, IIsi and LC (if you can find it) for some screenshots of the LC running Apple // games.
The LC is unique because it uses a 68020 chip (like the original Mac II) rather than a 68030. Also, it's the only pizza box mac with two floppy slots built in, since (in theory) you can run it from a floppy disk.

The fans were a problem on the early machines, as were some of the power supplies. Lotsa folks upgraded their fans.

As for the LC slot, the slots were compatible for most things, across everything that had an LC slot. Also, the Sonnet upgrade is cool if you just want it, but you can probably find others cheaper. There was a company that sold a case upgrade (big power supply, extra bays, etc.) but I can't remember who that was.

Lots of LCs shipped with the Apple II card, and you can use them in the LCII and III as well, and some of the others you mentioned.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2002, 12:36 PM

It is called an 'LC PDS' slot. I have some LC II's and an LC III with ethernet cards installed in their PDS slots. NUBUS came after PDS I believe. Pretty sure it was the last proprietary slot before Apple used PCI.

If the drive you are trying to use is too big, you may be able to partition it into chunks that are small enough for the LC to use. Hopefully this will work for you.

Brad

davecom
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 05:40 PM

I had an original LC new from 1992 for many years and my advice to you is NOT to install 7.5 . Stick with or upgrade to 7.1 . You'll be much happier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules