Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Ilustrator CC vs. CS6

Adobe Ilustrator CC vs. CS6
jretzner
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2018, 12:13 AM

I just purchased an Adobe CS 6 package from Adobe. All the available instructions books talk about version CC and are dated 2018. Is there a difference between Illustrator SC6 and CC?

Thorzdad
Mar 27, 2018, 08:16 AM

Adobe stopped shipping and supporting CS6 several years ago. It was the final version of Creative Suite that one could purchase outright and own. CC is, as you know, a monthly lease. The primary difference between Illustrator in CS6 and CC comes down to a few new features in CC. Otherwise, they pretty much work the same. Of course, you own CS6 and never have to pay Adobe another dime just to use it.

When you say "All the available instructions books..." do you mean third-party books, and not the materials that come in the CS6 box? If you mean third-party books, then it should be expected that they'd only be for CC.

Where did you purchase a copy of CS6? Adobe doesn't sell it on their website anymore, and any copies you find on places like Amazon are old stock sold by other vendors.

andi*pandi
Mar 27, 2018, 10:39 AM

there are likely still cs6 books out there.

For illustrator, I think one thing I've noticed is better trace tools?

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2018, 08:54 PM

Just one more comment here: Adobe has moved to a subscription model with its software. CS6 will never see any more updates, nor will you be able to buy “CS7” at a discount. Unless you switch to something like Affinity Serif you will eventually have to get a CC subscription.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2018, 12:23 AM

Thanks for your information. I got on to a Skype chat with Adobe support and was told that, because I owned CS4, I could purchase CS6 at a discount. What I was hoping is being able to avoid the subscription aspect and Adobe helped me with that. Now knowing that CC has a just few more bells and whistles is reassuring. I will hunt around for DVD instruction material, especially Illustrator. Adobe walked me through erasing CS4, downloading and installing CS6, and being sure all applications are working. They are. Perhaps I can find some earlier instruction DVDs by Deke through Lynda. Thanks for all your help!

Thorzdad
Mar 29, 2018, 08:03 AM

Can I ask what they charged you for CS6? Was it for CS6 Master or CS6 Design?

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2018, 06:08 PM

It was Creative Suite 6 Design Standard for $950.00. Is that in the ballpark for this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules