Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan

UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 19, 2004, 03:38 PM

Annan needs to go; mainly because unless he does go, we will not get to the bottom of many of these scandals. We need to.

from: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_041119115027

UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - UN employees are expected to issue an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after he pardoned the body's top oversight official over a series of allegations.

The UN staff union, in what officials said was the first vote of its kind in the more than 50-year history of the United Nations, was set to approve a resolution withdrawing support for the embattled Annan and senior UN management.

Annan has been in the line of fire over a high-profile series of scandals including controversy about a UN aid programme that investigators say allowed deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to embezzle billions of dollars.

Staffers said the trigger for the no-confidence measure was an announcement this week that Annan had pardoned the UN's top oversight official, who was facing allegations of favouritism and sexual harassment.

The union had requested a formal probe into the behaviour of the official, Dileep Nair, after employees accused him of harassing members of his staff and violating UN rules on the hiring and promotion of workers.

Top UN spokesman Fred Eckhard announced on Tuesday that Nair had been exonerated by Annan "after a thorough review" by the UN's senior official in charge of management, Catherine Bertini.

Annan underlined that he "had every confidence" in Nair, Eckhard said, but UN employees ridiculed the decision and claimed that investigators had not questioned the staff union, which first raised the complaints in April.

"This was a whitewash, pure and simple," Guy Candusso, a senior member of the staff union, told AFP.

Candusso noted that Eckhard's declaration to the press had said that "no further action was necessary in the matter."

But in a letter sent to the union, a copy of which was obtained by AFP, Annan's chief of staff Iqbal Riza said Nair had been "advised that he should exercise caution" in future to "minimise the risk of negative perception."

In a resolution set to be adopted on Friday, the union said Riza's statement "substantiates the contention of the staff that there was impropriety" and that there exists "a lack of integrity, particularly at the higher levels of the organisation."

The draft resolution, also obtained exclusively by AFP, calls on the union president to "convey this vote of no confidence to the secretary general."

Staffers who asked not to be named, afraid that speaking out could damage their future prospects in the United Nations, said the Nair decision was an example of corruption by Annan and his senior staff.

They noted that Riza, UN undersecretary general for information Shashi Tharoor and other top officials had served directly under Annan at least since 1994, when he was head of UN peacekeeping operations.

At the time, the United Nations was widely criticised for failing to stop the Rwanda genocide that left 800,000 people dead, even though UN peacekeepers were on the ground -- a catastrophe for which Annan has publicly apologised.

Annan could not be reached for immediate comment. He is currently in Africa on a high-profile mission aimed at ending the long-running civil war in Sudan.

The latest crisis comes as Annan faces unprecedented calls to resign over the burgeoning scandal about "oil-for-food," a UN aid scheme that US investigators say allowed Saddam to siphon off billions of dollars.

The programme has tainted longtime UN officials like Benon Sevan, who oversaw the operation and is now accused of pocketing Saddam's money in exchange for turning a blind eye to the Iraqi dictator's abuses.

Annan stands accused of obstructing US investigators, especially since his hand-picked official Paul Volcker this week rejected calls from the US Senate to turn over documents from the programme and waive UN staff immunity.

Eckhard, his spokesman, on Thursday said that Annan is expected to serve out his term, which ends in 2006.

Veteran UN staff said this was the first time in history that employees had risen up en masse to make a vote of no confidence in a sitting secretary general.

"Kofi Annan is surrounded by corruption, a gang of criminals responsible for some of the worst things that happened to mankind in the 20th century," said one angry staffer, referring to the Rwanda massacres.

"It's possible that he doesn't know directly what has gone on," said the employee, who has worked for the United Nations for two decades. "But that's no excuse."
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2004, 04:03 PM

Looks like the Chancellor is about to get a no confidence vote from the Imperial Senate.

On a more serious note. Annan has been a very corrupt and mostly ineffective leader of the UN.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 05:24 PM

'Oil for Food' my ass. They should all be given desk jobs in Fallujah.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 05:31 PM

About time.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2004, 05:36 PM

No wonder he was one of those criticizing the US for the war in Iraq. He knew that his cash cow would be gone when we kicked Saddam's @$$
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
No wonder he was one of those criticizing the US for the war in Iraq. He knew that his cash cow would be gone when we kicked Saddam's @$$
Very true, but unfortuantely we (the United States) still give the UN an absurdly large amount of money to retain membership.

(Fun Fact: On top of that, we also pay for the admittance of a lot of other countries that can't afford to pay for it themselves.)
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Very true, but unfortuantely we (the United States) still give the UN an absurdly large amount of money to retain membership.
Actually, last I checked we were pretty far behind in terms of paying this. Has that changed?
(Fun Fact: On top of that, we also pay for the admittance of a lot of other countries that can't afford to pay for it themselves.)
Here, I must admit, I would not be surprised in the least. It seems to be quite in line with the UN's attitude towards the US: making the capable into slaves of the incapable.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 07:42 PM

This comes as no big surprise to the conservatives that have been saying it for years.

The UN is corrupt.

We need to get the US out the UN - now. Before our country is tainted by the stigma of being a corrupt UN member.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
We need to get the US out the UN - now. Before our country is tainted by the stigma of being a corrupt UN member.
Oh, we've already got that, so no reason to worry about avoiding it. I'd like to see us out of it anyway, but more for the fact that more and more they seem to want to simply subsume their member nations into themselves, leaving only a single world authority. I can't support that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Oh, we've already got that, so no reason to worry about avoiding it. I'd like to see us out of it anyway, but more for the fact that more and more they seem to want to simply subsume their member nations into themselves, leaving only a single world authority. I can't support that.
And they claim the Neocons want "A New World Order". Sheesh.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Nov 19, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
And they claim the Neocons want "A New World Order". Sheesh.
And Chirac saying that only the UN should approve intervention. I suppose the French would take that track if it was about protecting their pseudo-colonies in Africa.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
And Chirac saying that only the UN should approve intervention. I suppose the French would take that track if it was about protecting their pseudo-colonies in Africa.
"Down with the French!! Freedom for the Ivory Coast!! Stop the oppression!! End the occupation NOW!!!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
"Down with the French!! Freedom for the Ivory Coast!! Stop the oppression!! End the occupation NOW!!!"
"What is: Things you'll never hear protestors go on about?"

I remember about two years ago, there was a fairly massive push to stop the UN from instantiating a tax that would allow the UN to get a fraction of a cent for all monetary transactions in as many countries as they could get to hop on board. The idea being that the UN would be able to build a standing army with it (which is something they've wanted for a while now, I believe.)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2004, 03:04 AM

I have a feeling the UN is going to need its own army in the near future.

And its own funding.

Because the US is finished with the UN.

&#31169;
Nov 20, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Typoon:
Looks like the Chancellor is about to get a no confidence vote from the Imperial Senate.
Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
I have a feeling the UN is going to need its own army in the near future.
Life does imitate art!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2004, 08:23 AM

Sorry to piss on your parade but the UN Staff Union is *not* preparing any kind of no-confidence vote against Annan.

Some members here are so rabid anti-UN and anti-European it is sickening.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 08:26 AM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2004, 08:29 AM

From the UNSU itself:

"A statement from the United Nations Staff Union said a draft resolution proposed by one group of employees that was discussed Thursday expresses a "lack of confidence" in the U.N.'s senior management.

"The draft resolution has not been adopted by the Staff Council," the union's executive body, the statement said. "And, in any event, it does not express the desire to hold a vote of no confidence against the secretary-general." "

Sorry if I don't trust a news source over statements from people who are actually involved.

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2004, 05:05 PM

Um, that's just the kicker, Voodoo.

We don't trust the folks who are actually involved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules