Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AirPort prevents access to ISP POP account?!

AirPort prevents access to ISP POP account?!
eric_marshall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2001, 07:49 AM

This problem has plagued me for all of the Mac OS X betas I've installed on one of my iBooks, but since it wasn't my main machine, I haven't given it much worry. I recently got a new PowerBook, which came with 10.0.3 preinstalled, and was pleased to find that this problem didn't exist. I had a bad run in with 10.1 over the weekend, so I reinstalled the OS, many times in fact, and the problem is back :-( Since I backed up my account and restored it after the reinstall, I assume the problem lies outside of my mail preferences, since they're the same as before.

The problem is that while I'm using my home AirPort network, Mail
displays an alert panel when getting new mail saying "Fetch Error - Couldn't connect to POP host named ...". If I simply change the network
preferences to use the built-in Ethernet instead, Mail works fine.

Thanks in advance.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2001, 10:48 PM

Do you make sure it's connected to the net first? That message means "I can't see the server you're telling me to look for", so if the airport were offline then that might happen. Or if your airport settings were wrong. Can you connect to the rest of the net via airport?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

eric_marshall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2001, 09:18 AM

> Do you make sure it's connected to the net first?

The PowerBook is connected to the AirPort network when I'm having
these troubles, e.g., I can surf the web, using ping, ftp etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules