Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spilled Water on Macbook Pro Keyboard: What to do?

Spilled Water on Macbook Pro Keyboard: What to do?
fdmendez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 02:14 AM

hey guys,

i spilled some water on the keyboard section of my macbook pro, it wasn't alot, not even enough to pour out or drip out when I turned it off and flipped it upside down to keep the water from getting into the more delicate electrical parts of the machine and to take out the battery, it happened last night and I don't want to try to turn it on until tomorrow so that I make sure that all the water is dry.

What are your guys' experience with spilling water on your macbooks, macbook pros, powerbooks, and ibooks?

What did you guys do and how did it turn out?

What do you guys suggest that I do and did I do the right thing?

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 03:14 AM

i say try and turn it on now, the damage wouldve been done when the water made contact with any component. i once left an old pc laptop outside overnight, and in the morning it was covered in dew. it still worked. if it happened yesterday then i say try it out. and next time, dont have liquids near your laptop, it can be an expensive learning lesson

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 03:45 AM

Don't try it yet. Wait another day or so. The water itself doesn't damage the components, it's the short that occurs when you put electricity through them.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Don't try it yet. Wait another day or so. The water itself doesn't damage the components, it's the short that occurs when you put electricity through them.
ditto, wait a few days.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2006, 08:00 AM

If it is only water, then do not worry too much, just let it dry completely. Ergo, wait a few days (or a week if you are paranoid) before you turn it on. If there was anything else in your drink, like sugar, well, then you might be screwed (happened to my father's laptop, spilled tea with sugar over it and it went to the HDD and it was all screwed. Thank God there was still warranty left on it ).

Good luck and I hope that you will learn a lesson from this
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 2, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by fdmendez
Spilled Water on Macbook Pro Keyboard: What to do?
Learn. Computers and liquids must never share the same plane. Also, liquids must never be on an upper plane that is above the computer plane. I learnt it the hard way long ago with a CD burner.

If you can, place your Mac in a dry environment so the remaining water evaporates rapidly and has less chance to corrode parts.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 08:58 AM

my sister spilled water on her ibook, you don't want to know what happened

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 10:28 AM

About 4 months ago i spilled water on my 1ghz powerbook, the amount of water was minimal but the damage cost me 2000 bucks. The keyboard stopped working so then i decided instead of fixing it i rather buy me the new pro line.

fdmendez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to wait at least until tomorrow morning to try to turn it on, i was about to try right now but i guess some of you are recommending to wait a little longer, so i'll wait another day.

I ran a napkin into the edges of the keyboard to see if there was any water left. The napkin came out dry. I'll try it out tomorrow morning and i'll let you guys know what happens.

By the way, I have the applecare warranty, do you guys have any idea how applecare would approach this and what should I tell them should my mbp decide not to function normally anymore?

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 07:49 PM

I spilled a small amount of water on mine while it was running (!). After the intial panic, I was able to place a napkin in between keys, which absorbed all the moisture pretty quicky. I then powered down the machine and appraoched it more thoroughly, getting any moisture remaining.

I turned the machine back a few hours later (it was in my bag for the duration) and haven't any issues since. Prudence definitly dictates letting it sit a bit longer, but it didn't seem like water could really get through the keyboard to any critical components.

Mine still works, and the machine was ON when I spilled on it, so I wouldn't panic too much.

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 2, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by fdmendez
By the way, I have the applecare warranty, do you guys have any idea how applecare would approach this and what should I tell them should my mbp decide not to function normally anymore?
Accidental damage like this is not covered through Applecare. I would reccomend insuring your MBP through something like safeware.com.
-nate

fdmendez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Timetheus
I spilled a small amount of water on mine while it was running (!). After the intial panic, I was able to place a napkin in between keys, which absorbed all the moisture pretty quicky. I then powered down the machine and appraoched it more thoroughly, getting any moisture remaining.

I turned the machine back a few hours later (it was in my bag for the duration) and haven't any issues since. Prudence definitly dictates letting it sit a bit longer, but it didn't seem like water could really get through the keyboard to any critical components.

Mine still works, and the machine was ON when I spilled on it, so I wouldn't panic too much.

That's really good to hear. But what's it like under the keyboard? Would any of you guys know? Is it really easy for water to get to any critical components? Where would be the worst place to spill water? Anybody else with any success stories? (Or even tragedies as well??)

fdmendez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 01:48 AM

word

fdmendez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami
Learn. Computers and liquids must never share the same plane. Also, liquids must never be on an upper plane that is above the computer plane. I learnt it the hard way long ago with a CD burner.

If you can, place your Mac in a dry environment so the remaining water evaporates rapidly and has less chance to corrode parts.
...word...

fdmendez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 02:15 AM

good news! It works and everything seems fine. I'm typing on it now!

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 02:36 AM

...word!

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 12:24 PM

Definetly good news! You just saved yourself another 2,000 dollars Let's hope that this will never happen to anyone of us (again).
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by azt33
Definetly good news! You just saved yourself another 2,000 dollars Let's hope that this will never happen to anyone of us (again).

Now is the time to get to Safeware.com!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc
Now is the time to get to Safeware.com!
QFT safewear is a great deal IMHO. I wouldn't think of using a reasonably expensive computer without it (or bringing any computer to college w/o it). **** happens... occasionally beer finds its way into your computer... good to know you can get it covered
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Bygbaby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2006, 10:53 AM

I spill water (actually a Fruit 2o) on my MBP last night & it was not much but today I see issues. My left shift key is not working, I think it is stuck (praying for it to un-stick). My function keys are also acting weird; when I press them, the system preferences windows comes up. The other weird thing is my power meter shows the batter with an x through it, I hope this too self resolves.

Happy I found this forum,
Brian

cattrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2008, 02:33 PM

Can you get covered on safeware in Canada?

I spilled a small amount of beer on my MBP (month old..) the other night. let it dry, blow dried it with cold air...it works fine right now...however i'm copying and pasting "w"s . . . I really want to get it opened up and cleaned to be safe.

OreoCookie
May 26, 2008, 02:37 PM

Please have a look at our sticky.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules