Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm only 19 and losing hairs! Help!

I'm only 19 and losing hairs! Help!
ambush
Banned
Sep 4, 2006, 01:09 AM

My scalp area is slowly dinimishing on the frontal-lateral sides

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 01:16 AM

You're gonna get the usual "chicks like bald men, leave it and forget it etc." If you don't want to do that you're gonna have to use rogain or propitia. I've seen it work miracles for a couple co-workers.

Then again you might not actually losing your hair faster than normal.. it is normal for your frontal lobes to slowly recede as you age anyway.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 01:17 AM

This ain't goin' to be gooood...
Signature depreciated.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
Well, I guess Pierre Pettigrew won't have anything to fear from you.

[Canadian in-joke]

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:03 AM

It's natural for the hair to recede as the brain underneath it shrinks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 03:13 AM

All my French Canadian relatives started to lose their hair around 20. Perhaps it's genes? (Yes, I'm aware not all French Canadians are bald...)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 05:29 AM

Cut your hair short. When you really start to loose it in ten years there will be awesome technology that can restore all your hair like with one injection.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 09:25 AM

Go with the spray paint.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 09:56 AM

It might stop after awhile. My hair started thinning at about your age in the same area and a few years later it just stopped before it got bad at all. At any rate, an interesting story to read:

Scientists report baldness breakthrough - Yahoo! News

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 09:56 AM

i started a thread on macnn about this a while ago. i have been using the finestaride and minoxidil with retin-a and it has worked wonders.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 10:16 AM

My take on it is simple: just accept it. I have a haircut which effectively conceals that I lose hair. Although I know that in a few years time (two, three, perhaps four), I will need to shave my head. I won't spend a fortune on miracle medicine, it's the way it is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 10:21 AM

Try one of those groovy reggae hats.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 11:00 AM

Like oreao cookie said, just accept it. Mine started falling out when I was 19..

Fought it for a while using Rogaine which did help slow down the losses.

Then I wised up and instead of spending 20 a month on Rogaine, 40 a month on hair cuts (I needed 2 a month to keep it clean looking) I went to Walmart and bought some shears...Now every two weeks, the wife shaves it down to (I think) 1/8 an inch...

Two years after I made the decision, shears are still working great and the wife digs the cut. Plus, it's really easy to take care of...
Joe

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 11:00 AM

Just don't do the Michael Bolton ponytail or the combover. Anyway, people may think you're older, which in many cases can be a good thing.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 11:10 AM

Forget the meds. They give you bitchtits. Hair implants are good these days from reputable people. I say wait ten years for the science to reverse it completely. What's wrong with ten years of thinning hair when you're only 19 and will be 29 then? No way you're gonna look bad. Keep your hair short and get the gals to look at......other parts

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 01:19 PM

I found out sometimes the combover thing isn't a choice. When you go to the barbershop, they assume you want to comb it over and leave the top of your head long. This sucks. You have to specifically tell them to cut the top short. Otherwise you have a combover and nothing to do about it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Forget the meds. They give you bitchtits.
Bad diet and no exorcize give you bitchtits, not hair meds.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Bad diet and no exorcize give you bitchtits, not hair meds.
You had me in A New Hope but not here. Propecia and Dutwhatever block DHT. When that happens instead of your testosterone aromatizing into dihydrotestosterone it aromatizes to estrogen which causes the bitch's tits. There will be gene therapy in a decade's time that will fix baldness for good.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2006, 03:35 PM

quit smoking weed

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
quit smoking weed
Signature depreciated.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Sep 4, 2006, 04:10 PM

Well... actually there might be a correlation between the amount of weed I smoke and the amount of hair lost.

So I'll stop smoking regularly and see what happens.
See, that's what I love about weed. I'm not going to be sick if I stop unexpectedly. Of course, I'm going to miss the after-work joint but it'll pass quickly.

I've always had PLENTY of hair. I'm a generally hairy person and I never would have thought this could happen to me.

Maybe I'm too stressed about it anyway... maybe it's just normal.
I'll see.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 04:25 PM

Well... actually there might be a correlation between the amount of weed I smoke and the amount of hair lost.

See, that's what I love about weed. I'm not going to be sick if I stop unexpectedly. Of course, I'm going to miss the after-work joint but it'll pass quickly.

I've always had PLENTY of hair. I'm a generally hairy person and I never would have thought this could happen to me.

Maybe I'm too stressed about it anyway... maybe it's just normal.
I'll see.
I've always heard that guys with a lot of body hair tend to lose the hair on their head more than others.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Well, I guess Pierre Pettigrew won't have anything to fear from you.

[Canadian in-joke]
I'm Canadian and I didn't even get it.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
I'm Canadian and I didn't even get it.
His hair is tamer than usual in that pic you posted. He usually has very meticulously coiffed hair, with all the swooshes and swirls in just the right places. He's very vain about and proud of his hair. And this was confirmed for me by an political aide that once worked for him.

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 05:27 PM

So do I. It grows everywhere … except on my head! I usually say my hair `migrates'

So trust me: the fact that you are hairy is not a good sign … 

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 05:27 PM

Stop smoking cigarettes too. It slows the flow of blood to the scalp and causes bad circulation. As for weed, that has to go. You and your friends don't see it now but over the long run that stuff makes people arrogant assholes. Feeling high all the time leads to delusions of omnipotence.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2006, 05:47 PM

Also, smoking cigarettes leads to delusions of impotence.

freudling
Banned
Sep 4, 2006, 06:06 PM

Merck blew the doors off Male Pattern Baldness (MPB), somewhat by accident as many medical breakthroughs seem to happen. By treating benign prostate hypersplasia (BPH) with a DHT inhibitor, they noticed that their subjects were regrowing hair that had thinned, or some were at least holding their ground.

They turned the above drug into Propecia, which is 1 mg finasteride, and marketed it for the treatment of MPB. The original, used for BPH was 5 mg. It is fact that Propecia plain works for MPB, and works well in a significant amount of people who use it. The way it works is by getting to the "root" problem of MPB. DHT is a byproduct of testosterone and most all men have this floating in their blood in varying quantities. DHT latches onto genetically suseptible hair follicles and basically starts off a chain of destructive processes. The follicles, over time, shrink and shrink into almost nothingness (their growth cycles are, generally, virtually halted too).

Propecia came after Rogaine, which works very well as well. Rogaine simply increases a hair follicles ability to grow thicker hair and also increases growth cycles, so there is less time between rest and growth. When combined, Rogaine and Propecia are incredibly effective. Of course, they do not work as well in all subjects. As long as you have MPB, however, this is barnone the most powerful treatment.

However, Propecia has side effects, and, at your age, perhaps it may not be worth it. Some long-term users are reporting all kinds of nasty symptoms. There is some literature - very little - linking propecia to increased rates of certain cancers. MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED TO FIND OUT WHETHER ANY OF THIS IS LINKED TO PROPECIA.

My advice. Don't take Propecia. After much research, I have settled on something that does the same thing with less side effects. You can get topical Xandrox and you can get something called Spironolactone (topical). The Xandrox is a combination of Rogaine, Alzeleic Acid and Retin-A. This does the work of Rogaine as well as doing what Propecia does: blocking DHT formation. The Spiro topical competes with DHT on the receptor sites of hair follicles. Now you have avoided systemic reduction of DHT, provided Rogaine for increased growth, blocked DHT receptor sites on hair follicles and inhibited the formation of DHT in the scalp. It is an amazing combination.

I have researched this area for many years and I would obtain the latter topicals and use them.

Best wishes.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 06:10 PM

Blocking DHT will cause bitchtits no matter what method you use. I say style your hair or shave it down short for ten years or so until that gene therapy makes everyone who wants to have hair be hairy again.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
So do I. It grows everywhere … except on my head! I usually say my hair `migrates'

So trust me: the fact that you are hairy is not a good sign … 
Oh, great...

Ah well. My dad’s 49 and is generally also a very hairy person, and he’s still got plenty of hair on his head as well, aside from having a very high forehead. My hair is still about five times as thick as I’d prefer it. I think I’m all right for the time being.

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 06:42 PM

I wasn't generalizing here. But the fact that his hairline is receding although the rest of his body is (and will remain) hairy is no contradiction.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 06:59 PM

proof that your brain is generating enough heat, so you won't need fur on top to keep your head warm.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 09:22 PM

Blocking DHT will cause bitchtits no matter what method you use. I say style your hair or shave it down short for ten years or so until that gene therapy makes everyone who wants to have hair be hairy again.
Do you have a time machine? Where are you pulling this "in ten years" crap from? MPB has been an issue for far more than ten years and not much has come in the way of a 'cure'.

I'm losing my hair in the front too. Just learn to deal with it and hope people these days think more about your other features..... Or wear a hat, or a wig.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 10:27 PM

That's a very rare side effect...

Rare ADRs(Adverse drug reactions) include: breast tenderness and enlargement, and allergic reaction. (Rossi, 2004)

~Wikipedia article on 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 11:24 PM

Smoking weed has nothing to do with baldness.

Geez. You folks have had a solid century to come up with a legitimate reason for marijuana to be a bad thing. And you failed miserably.

Most bald people don't smoke weed. I rest my case.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2006, 02:08 AM

Try shaving it all. Some guys look *really* hot when they are bald
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 02:19 AM

Hormones fluctuate and maybe that's all it is?

Seriously, women deal with it all of the time.

When you get pregnant your hair starts to fall out...then it grows back in and barely comes out for many months. Then you have a baby and it falls out in clumps - it grows back in and looks and feels like a crew cut in places. It's all because of hormones. Some women have even stated that their hair falls out at various times of the year.

I also have heard that stress causes hair to fall out. Also, thyroid function. Maybe it's one of those two things?

And all I can say is this: If the biggest problem you have in life is a little hair (or even a lot of hair) falling out, relax and let it go. People deal with much bigger problems including cancer and deaths of loved ones and various other issues. Losing hair is a nothing issue.

In fact, in some ways it might even be a mitzvah (blessing) so just relax about it.

P.S., Doesn't smoking weed make you paranoid after a while? Maybe you THINK your hair is falling out and it isn't - you're just smoking too much grass!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:50 PM

Marijuana has side effects (like every drug), they are just not well known due to the fact it's darned near impossible to have a double blind test with it. There just isn't the kind of studies on it that would be needed to show what the long term effects are.

f it has no adverse side effects why did most of my mary j smoking friends become more or less psychologically addicted to it and burn out? (It's different from a physical addiction, as there is no sickness if they go without, but alot of them needed it to feel mellow after awhile, which would go down as an addiction in my book).

The good thing is, if it were legalized, we could force the growers and distributors to pay good money to provide advertisements designed to keep people from using them much like tobacco is now.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 5, 2006, 03:11 PM

Keep smokin' the stuff. Bald (or not), you can seduce all sorts of hot women with the promise of a J back at your pad.

Though losing your hair sucks, it's not the worse thing in the world. Getting older - that sucks more. Regret - that sucks bad, too. Getting cancer - that sucks about the worst.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 03:25 PM

The only cure is to stop playing with your ding dong.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
The good thing is, if it were legalized, we could force the growers and distributors to pay good money to provide advertisements designed to keep people from using them much like tobacco is now.
What are you talking about? It is legalized here That is one of the reasons backpackers and foreign students come to this small country
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
The only cure is to stop playing with your ding dong.
Transplant hairs from his palms?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 08:58 PM

"Don't use marijuana because...um...well because there *must* be something about it that's bad for you"

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by freudling
My advice. Don't take Propecia. After much research, I have settled on something that does the same thing with less side effects. You can get topical Xandrox and you can get something called Spironolactone (topical). The Xandrox is a combination of Rogaine, Alzeleic Acid and Retin-A.
That's interesting; Retin-A (Tretinoin) has recently been linked to a higher incident of skin cancer in animal testing (human control study has not been done yet). One of the recommendations for using it is sunscreen, which is difficult to apply to the scalp.

I started losing hair at 21 years old, but it just stopped when I turned about 28.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 10:45 PM

You don't need hair to have fun ;-)

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by ink
That's interesting; Retin-A (Tretinoin) has recently been linked to a higher incident of skin cancer in animal testing (human control study has not been done yet). One of the recommendations for using it is sunscreen, which is difficult to apply to the scalp.

I started losing hair at 21 years old, but it just stopped when I turned about 28.

As someone who also uses minoxidil with retin-a can you provide me with a link to that statement or was this direct from wikipedia.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2006, 04:59 AM

try reducing your stress level and stay physically active... it'd also help to be enthusiastic and up-beat... psycho-neuro immunology

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 6, 2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
Smoking weed has nothing to do with baldness.

Most bald people don't smoke weed. I rest my case.
They're lying

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
Merck blew the doors off Male Pattern Baldness (MPB), somewhat by accident as many medical breakthroughs seem to happen. By treating benign prostate hypersplasia (BPH) with a DHT inhibitor, they noticed that their subjects were regrowing hair that had thinned, or some were at least holding their ground.

They turned the above drug into Propecia, which is 1 mg finasteride, and marketed it for the treatment of MPB. The original, used for BPH was 5 mg. It is fact that Propecia plain works for MPB, and works well in a significant amount of people who use it. The way it works is by getting to the "root" problem of MPB. DHT is a byproduct of testosterone and most all men have this floating in their blood in varying quantities. DHT latches onto genetically suseptible hair follicles and basically starts off a chain of destructive processes. The follicles, over time, shrink and shrink into almost nothingness (their growth cycles are, generally, virtually halted too).

Propecia came after Rogaine, which works very well as well. Rogaine simply increases a hair follicles ability to grow thicker hair and also increases growth cycles, so there is less time between rest and growth. When combined, Rogaine and Propecia are incredibly effective. Of course, they do not work as well in all subjects. As long as you have MPB, however, this is barnone the most powerful treatment.

However, Propecia has side effects, and, at your age, perhaps it may not be worth it. Some long-term users are reporting all kinds of nasty symptoms. There is some literature - very little - linking propecia to increased rates of certain cancers. MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED TO FIND OUT WHETHER ANY OF THIS IS LINKED TO PROPECIA.

My advice. Don't take Propecia. After much research, I have settled on something that does the same thing with less side effects. You can get topical Xandrox and you can get something called Spironolactone (topical). The Xandrox is a combination of Rogaine, Alzeleic Acid and Retin-A. This does the work of Rogaine as well as doing what Propecia does: blocking DHT formation. The Spiro topical competes with DHT on the receptor sites of hair follicles. Now you have avoided systemic reduction of DHT, provided Rogaine for increased growth, blocked DHT receptor sites on hair follicles and inhibited the formation of DHT in the scalp. It is an amazing combination.

I have researched this area for many years and I would obtain the latter topicals and use them.

Best wishes.
Just wanted to know how xandrox has worked for you?Ive read online that growth varies with this product.Also would you happen to know whats used as a substitute for propelene glycol free formulas? I currently use a propelene glycol free formula but want to know the answer to this as i am looking for another place to make this for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules