Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Creating install CD from an .ISO archive, how?

Creating install CD from an .ISO archive, how?
rampel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2002, 01:35 PM

What's the best burning software to make an .ISO archive mount correctly on my Desktop - so I can burn it as an install CD?

I've been using Toast 5.0.2 but I'm not sure it does a complete job

(Linux Mandrake PPC 8.2 beta2)

TIA

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 02:32 PM

Use Toast. Select Other > Disk Image. Do not mount the image, just select it and burn it.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2002, 01:25 PM

Are you using OS X? You can burn from the terminal...

Just cd to the directory your ISO lives in, then do like so...

[shiva:~] jbrand% hdiutil burn your_iso.iso

It will then ask you to insert a disc. Do so, and away it'll burn.

Just burned YellowDog 2.2 that way not more than an hour ago.

Good luck...

--J

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>Use Toast. Select Other &gt; Disk Image. Do not mount the image, just select it and burn it.</STRONG>
Cool, thanks.
Do you mean to drag the .iso file onto the open toast panel in "other"
and just hit the button "record"?

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by rampel:
<STRONG>

Cool, thanks.
Do you mean to drag the .iso file onto the open toast panel in "other"
and just hit the button "record"?</STRONG>
No. If you click and hold on other a menu will come up and you need to select disk image. Then select the ISO and burn it.

I don't mean to be rude, but even Mandrake Linux is complicated and if you can't figure out how to burn an ISO with Toast configuring Linux will give you trouble. Although Mandrake is the most user friendly the installer assumes you know how to create a boot volume since the default partition scheme doesn't include one. I would really go with Yellow Dog 2.2 if I were you. Not only is it more up to date (eg. using ext3 as default - Mandrake works with it, but you need to tell it to use it during the partitioning process), but it is more Mac-centric even if it is not as sugar-coated. And the number one reason of all...it's not beta!

The Yellow dog linux 2.2 ISO is available from ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/ It is the rome-2.2 file.

By the way for Mandrake you need both CDs (unless you are doing a bare bones install which wouldn't include the programs you would want).

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Northform:
<STRONG>

No. If you click and hold on other a menu will come up and you need to select disk image. Then select the ISO and burn it.

I don't mean to be rude, but even Mandrake Linux is complicated and if you can't figure out how to burn an ISO with Toast configuring Linux will give you trouble. Although Mandrake is the most user friendly the installer assumes you know how to create a boot volume since the default partition scheme doesn't include one. I would really go with Yellow Dog 2.2 if I were you. Not only is it more up to date (eg. using ext3 as default - Mandrake works with it, but you need to tell it to use it during the partitioning process), but it is more Mac-centric even if it is not as sugar-coated. And the number one reason of all...it's not beta!

The Yellow dog linux 2.2 ISO is available from ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/ It is the rome-2.2 file.

By the way for Mandrake you need both CDs (unless you are doing a bare bones install which wouldn't include the programs you would want).</STRONG>
Thanks again. No one is being rude here, I know only too well how little my experience with Linux is. Funny, but I installed the Intel version of mandrake on VPC without any serious problems and except for being unacceptably slow it was quite fun. I thought on a MacOS it would be easier . .
Go figure

blips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2002, 11:01 AM

I had a problem burning iso images on my Mac OS X computer. I couldn't get it right with trying all the different settings. I moved the iso images to my PC and burned them there. It was very frustrating. I was trying to burn them in Toast Titanium. I never figured out why I couldn't get it to work.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by blips:
<STRONG>I had a problem burning iso images on my Mac OS X computer. I couldn't get it right with trying all the different settings. I moved the iso images to my PC and burned them there. It was very frustrating. I was trying to burn them in Toast Titanium. I never figured out why I couldn't get it to work.</STRONG>
I just finished installing YDL on my G$ using a CD I burned from an .iso image using Disk Copy under X. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Disk Copy under Mac OS X can burn ISO images!

CyberDave

rampel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by CyberDave:
<STRONG>

I just finished installing YDL on my G$ using a CD I burned from an .iso image using Disk Copy under X. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Disk Copy under Mac OS X can burn ISO images!

CyberDave</STRONG>
That's good news, remains to be seen if my "Old world machine" (9600) will recognize my external USB toaster in OSX. It does in 9.2.2

THanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules