Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Computing: 25 years into the future

Computing: 25 years into the future
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 03:21 PM

I see it like this.

Four MAJOR computer players:
APPLE
DELL
IBM
SONY

(maybe HP, but i doubt it)

Apple, with the help of OS X and the new G7 processor (co-developed between IBM and AMD) now command 20% market share.
The new Powerbook series has been a huge hit. The company now has three laptops to offer. PowerBook, PowerBook TG (to go, this replaces the ibook), and PowerBook Duo (the new version of the dockable mac laptop)

With the new Mobile G7 and Mobile OS X combined with new battery technology users can now get up to 15 hours of battery life.

Apple has re-introduced the Cube, that is a huge hit this time around.

70% of American will have a laptop. 50% will have both laptop and desktop.
Free wireless internet access will be in every city with population above 10,000.

SONY is seriously thinking of ditching the Intel camp and going PowerPC and is in negotiations with Apple CEO for a license for OS X on their machines.

DELL following its trend of doing whatever apple does, has starting opening up retail stores. It has also attemped to make its own version of the cube. Again, following apple, it fails horribly. Dell is mostly conserned with its corporate contracts and servers, but still has a rather strong foot hold in the consumer market.

IBM: ? well they just keep doing what they are good at. looking good and making good processors

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

FERRO
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 05:28 PM

personally I think their will be One major system in the future... A Supreme Emulator that crosses all systems and is Super Intuitive... using a advanced form of learning AI with auto recognition and unkown cipher decryption, Will fill the gap between all platforms.. Unifying the virtual world and changing the very nature of information/communication/commerce, etc. The OS will work within whatever the hardware can provide and truely exceed the sum of its parts thru adaptation.

just my oppinion...

� FERRO 2001-2002

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2001, 05:38 PM

gumby5647: I sure hope that we are WAY passed a G7 in 25 years! But I like your thinking. The cynical and morose side of me doesn't want to believe that Apple will actually gain market share, but man that would be great. MS can only get away with so much before people put it in its place whether that's government, citizens, or competition.

FERRO: I really like that idea. I hope just for sake of humanity and clarity of mind that it doesn't spring from the womb of MS's lair.

I personally hope that we simply continue to make laptops thinner and maybe even wider (bigger screens, ie Ti) as opposed to eventually using mounted systems (with an eye piece or mounted IN bodies or minds.....that would be just plain scary. Although my memory does need the help!
Semper Fi

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 05:43 PM

on the G7.....yeah i know...but i didn't know what to say, so i said that.

Laptops will soon shed there 2.5" Hard drives. future versions will use what is inside of the new iPod. 1.8" i believe. Making Laptops, lighter and smaller. *Perfect for a Duo* (WINK, HINT Steve!!!)
4GB RAM
160GB

ap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 05:57 PM

This seems much more like a scenario 10-12 years from now.

G5 will come out within a year or two. Then 4 years for G6 and 4 years for G7.

I think personal computing will change in the next 25 yaers as TV has changed the last 25 yaers.

Which means, not much.

I think the thing that will change internet most, is the p2p principle.

What you have on your computer, basically everyone else has acces to aswell (If you allow it).

Today Internet is being regarded as a network of servers, which provide homepages and searchmachines.

In the future internet could be one big network of local machines. When you search, you search on all local computers in the world.

When I used Kazaa or Morpheus the first time, suddenly alot of things on the www seemed oldfashioned and limited.

The biggest revolution which will happen will be related to copyright issues. If the material is digital, everyone owns it as soon as it is produced.

I think the major part consumerportables will not be laptops as we know them today. It will probably develop into the PDA direction. Images, sound, and video handling will be the primary function of theese things. See it as an internet based tv-videophone-mediaplayer-browser etc, the size of a Palm PDA. It wont even need a keyboard.

well, just some thoughts.

ap

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: ap ]

FERRO
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 06:21 PM

How about isolinear optical drives with optical chips at breakneck speeds...!!

Holographic 4-dimensional data storage... the forth dimension being wavelength.

Gell boards bio-computing with genetic processing...

Personal AI UI...

And broadband everywhere with the proliferation of optical fiber data conduits...

these are all in the works... not the drawing board.

� FERRO 2001-2002

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 06:22 PM

thinking of all that makes my head hurt
4GB RAM
160GB

dead_eye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 06:30 PM

Quantum computational devices. Perhaps computing power is a service sort of like broadband internet access is today. We would have dumb terminals (but fast reponsive ones) that run off quantum networks (since quantum computers have unlimited processing power). M$ wants to be the company that will provide this network in the future. Enthusiasts might still build their own or buy their own full computers but most people will have the service. Computers as we know them won't exist.
Specs: 1.4 athlon, 256 crucial ddr
Guess, I'm a pc person

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 06:36 PM

That's all interesting stuff, but the part you have ignored which will be far more important than computer manufacturers is the possible creation of monopolized markets for Internet service and the method by which all these computers will be connected together. Which phone companies or cable providers will come out with the most popular access point will be what will be revolutionary.
THAT has to be the single most important factor to home computing in the future.

Inevitably Mac or PC will just be a matter of personal preference, the OSs' will become more and more similar to the point where the learning curve between the platforms will be negligible.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

FERRO
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 09:06 PM

How about this..

Quantum Entaglement-

LONDON (Sept. 26) - Physicists in Denmark have made two samples of trillions of atoms interact at a distance in an experiment which may bring Star Trek-style teleportation and rapid quantum computing closer to reality.

Eugene Polzik and his colleagues at the University of Aarhus are not about to beam anyone up to the Starship Enterprise, but their research reported in the science journal Nature on Wednesday makes the idea of instantly transporting an object from one place to another less far fetched.

Quantum entanglement -- a mysterious concept of entwining two or more particles without physical contact. Albert Einstein once described it as ''spooky action at a distance.''

Entangled states are needed for quantum computing and teleportation. Scientists have entangled states of a few atoms in earlier experiments but Polzik and his team have done it with very large numbers and using laser light.

''It is the first result where two macroscopic material objects have been entangled,'' Polzik explained in a telephone interview.

''We have produced entanglement at a distance which means you and me can share entangled objects which is important for quantum communication, including quantum teleportation.''

In 1998 what has been described as the first teleportation experiment was done when scientists at the California Institute of Technology teleported a beam of light across a laboratory bench.

Ignacio Cirac, a physicist at the University of Innsbruck in Austria said achievement of Polzik and his team could lead to real-life quantum communication systems, teleportation and quantum computers.

''This is the first time two different atomic samples have been entangled in this way -- using light -- even though the samples are separated by some distance,'' he said in a commentary in Nature.

Cirac believes further experiments will follow which could ''revolutionize the field of quantum information.''
With instant point to point data transfer....

I want a quantum entaglement proccessor!!!!!

P2P (point to point) proccessor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?Infinite?Ghz.....

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: FERRO ]

� FERRO 2001-2002

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2001, 12:13 AM

I believe that 25 years from now Apple will finally purge the Rage 128 from its product line!

Matsu
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 12:15 AM

Platforms won't matter. Computer power will be so great that, for the majority of tasks, a simple recompile of an application will let it run on your computer. That is, if the app isn't already written in some Java/html/xml write once read anywhere format to begin with.

And because of this power to supply universal apps (and quasi-intelligent computing -- but that's another matter) Software companies will develop the most agressive schemes for content control we've ever seen.

Something like Cable TV subscription looms. It might not happen, but there will be a big fight to shape the computer industry -- computer user paradigm. Exactly who owns your desktop, even whether or not you are allowed to own a desktop environment, remains to be decided.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 12:17 AM

We'll still be using OS X 25 years from now?

Oh lordy...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2001, 12:58 AM

Some revolution will take place in the next 25 years, no doubt. The internet made a big revolution in the way people use computers - in 1984 if you would've talked to someone about sending a file across the world, the common answer would be "FedEx them a 5.25" floppy!"

Along the same lines, if you'd ask someone now, "How do you get a computer to create a letter?" someone would respond, "Well, open up AppleWorks, go to the File->New menu, then type on the keyboard." The keyboard was a necessity for typewriters of old, since they had no chips - once DSP chips, or simply the OS with its core processors, can start processing speech / facial / gesture recognition, computing will completely change from the corded and strange, button-filled world of today.

TV was, for most purposes, just an entertainment device. Since the computer is much more, I think advances here will be made in leaps and bounds over what TV has seen (TiVo is making a strong case for a TV revolution, tho...) .

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 02:19 AM

Quantum entanglement be damned. That guy has a problem with grammar entanglement.

''We have produced entanglement at a distance which means you and me can share entangled objects which is important for quantum communication, including quantum teleportation.''

Sigh. The more things change. . . .

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: San Acoustic ]

iCartman
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 04:20 AM

You forgot to add; "Apple introduces 1Ghz chip"

Seriously

The players will be:

IBM
HP
Dell
Sun

IBM, Sun & HP have the capital to invest in R&D in order to stay competive. Dell will continue to use superior marketing to stay competitive.

Apple will probably turn into a mutual fund (where they currently make the majority of thier money) or a retail outlet specializing in funky technology (maybe like Sharper image) only for the ultra-rich. There will probably be a golden idol of Steve Jobs in each store, because by then he will have is own religon in order for Apple to avoid paying income tax (inspired by L. Ron Hubbard). Apple will also have Jeff Goldblum cloned for use in eternal commercial spots.

Sony will have probably have merged with Honda and AOL. I also predict Sony will decide to conquer Japan and rename it to Sony. Sony will have the PS10 that will introduce mind altering games that also induce some sort of mind control. I imagine they wil also use AIBO to monitor what people are doing and build a mecha godzilla to take out the USA.

AMD will be out of business (they are currently on the way). Thier chips are used to test the heat shields on the space shuttle.

Intel will be kicking ass with nano-technology and human implants. By 2046 they will have created a sentient computer (then comes the death of all puny humans)

Microsoft wont be a force because they lost all thier money on a massive lawsuit (they designed software for the 2015 space station. Unfortunately a virus caused the station to fly into the sun).

The suprise will be a company formed by Woz (old man). Apple enjoyed the largest marketshare ever (58%) using a computer built by Woz. Woz's company will build something really cool for everyone (not just for the super rich). It will be Woz's final gift before departing into the ether... It will be our only hope to battle mecha-godzilla.
respect mah athoritah!

Cipher13
Nov 1, 2001, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by iCartman:
<STRONG>Sony will have the PS10 that will introduce mind altering games that also induce some sort of mind control.</STRONG>
Cool... I want one!

What I think:

In the next 25 years, we can't imagine the breakthroughs that will be made.

A lot of the theories in here seem plausible; especially that of the quantum server and ultrafast wireless terminals for everybody, except "everyone else".

However, thats more like a 10 year scheme; in the next 10 years, we'll see quantum computing. We'll see things like the aforementioned server attempted and fail...

All I know for sure is there will always be an alternative. Even if its illegal, there WILL be an alternative. And that's enough for me; I don't want to run of a global server. I'll keep control myself thanks.

1984, here we come...

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 10:15 PM

if you EVER think of commiting suicide (god forbid) think of the technology man whoa! thats what to live for.

P.S. I only say that because a kid at my school commited suicide last week =(

undotwa
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 04:09 AM

You can't predict technology. It changes so much. But whoa, what I have imagined is so cool .
In vino veritas.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 12:23 PM

of course we'll be using the G7 in 25 years.... at the rate Moto is going..
4GB RAM
160GB

The Dude
Banned
Nov 2, 2001, 03:46 PM

Somewhere, I remember reading that there was a project going on that would unite all computers in the world to allow a seemingly infinite amount of processor time available to all.

Sounds cool, but the bandwidth to carry all that better be well in place along with keeping the latency down.

"If this is the future, I say bring it on!" -Adam Corolla

elzinat
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>All I know for sure is there will always be an alternative. Even if its illegal, there WILL be an alternative. And that's enough for me; I don't want to run of a global server. I'll keep control myself thanks.

1984, here we come...</STRONG>
yes, they will always let you think that there is an alternative, always let you think that you control yourself.
then suddenly one day you and your world disappear, and nobody will know to notice that you're gone.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 04:00 PM

something a lot more important than technology is, communication.

Forum Links
Forum Rules