Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > School: New computers today....

School: New computers today....
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2001, 02:48 PM

well, as i walked into the library today, there sat 3 pallets of new computers and a couple pallets of monitors.
sorry, these aren't apple's. They are..............ok, ready for this?.....OmniTech!!! (i hear you all saying "who?") my reply..."Exactly!"

OmniTech with a P IV inside. and 15" CRT Hitachi Monitors.

what a waste of money....
*sigh*

Oh well, i guess it isn't as bad as what they have upstairs in the english labs. P II machines with 32MB RAM running (or trying to) Windows NT. Good lord... 32MB Ram.....

somebody please get me out of this computer hell hole.....

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2001, 02:54 PM

Wow, that really makes me appreciate the PowerMac 5200s and 5400s we've got. My school also has a variety of iMacs, which the computer department has upgraded to 128 MB RAM, partially thanks to me. The district computer coordinator really doesn't like me too much, but he's moving to Arizona after this year.
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2001, 05:11 PM

My college uses mostly Gateways ::shudder:: but luckily tha art building has all Macs. Mostly B&W 400 and 450s and we just got a new Dual 800 for the Graphic design class ::drool::

Its funny since now all the kids in my Graph. design class want Macs due to me and the instructor. One lady just bought a new 733 because of me, and another kid who is nasty illustrator wants to get a Ti Book.

I never use the Lib. since I can't stand using WinME on 700mhz Celerons (worst chip ever).

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2001, 06:44 PM

this is at isu?

or lincoln or heartland?

freestyler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2001, 08:23 PM

you guys are lucky you have macs. My school, Carleton University, exclusively uses PCs running NT. Forget the version.

I've seen some students with the clam iBooks there, but it sucks that Carleton doesn't use macs. But that's only in the labs that i've been to. There are some labs that i haven't been in.

But to be on topic, our chemistry reading room just got 6 new PCs. Don't know what they are. they're there to accomadate the large demand of people though. oh well, I can always look forward when i go home.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2001, 10:37 PM

I don't think platform matters anymore. Prove me wrong.

The Internet nullifies everything.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2001, 11:16 PM

Just to clarify, my school, Carleton College (not the Carleton University mentioned above) does really well in terms of having Macs. The public labs are about half and half, and all the Macs are really nice, new ones. We've even got a lab full of 733, superdrive equipped G4s. :we really need a drooly face:

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: nonhuman ]

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2001, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by jarends:
<STRONG>this is at isu?

or lincoln or heartland?</STRONG>

Im at Heartland.

the main campus has ONE mac in it....i forget where at the moment. The video editing place...
there might be a mac lab off campus at the old campus, who knows.

ISU has both mac and pc labs.

i have no idea what lincoln uses....
4GB RAM
160GB

Magicite
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 01:45 PM

So, nonhuman, was it you who burned down the McDonalds?

Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>:we really need a drooly face:

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: nonhuman ]</STRONG>

yeah we do......someone wanna whip one up?
4GB RAM
160GB

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2001, 02:47 PM

ISU has like 10 macs, maybe.

There were some old pathetic poorly maintained macs in the milner library lab, and maybe one or 2 other mac labs, but for the most part that was a totally PC campus.

They ran a giant NT server for all the students so the few macs had DAVE on them. It sucked.

Their network sucked in general.

UIC has lots of macs though. I tried to get a copy of OS X on campus, but they were sold out, so I'm waiting for the next 50 copies to come in.

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 05:59 AM

We have lots in our schools!! I work for the agency that supports the school networks in this area, and last time anybody bothered to count, there were something like 6,000 desktop machines in use in all our schools - 60ish primary schools (age 5-11) and 11 secondary schools (age 11-18).

I think its something like a 65%Mac 35%Dell split.

The Macs range from good ole 630's (not many of them left now, and only really used for web browsing) right up to Summer 2001 iMacs, with a sprinkling of G4s thrown in.

Our schools are springing for iBooks in a big way. I think we've something like 350 of them in use now. Class in a box is a great thing!!!!

We've just rolled out a batch of PBG4's with multimedia projectors.

Each secondary school has G4 servers running MacManager, probably about to migrate to OSXServer. These are used in conjunction with pairs of Dell PowerEdge 2400's to provide access and storage solutions. We're also in the process of putting NAS devices into schools (hmm, if only Apple did NAS!!)

We do a lot of our maintenance in house, things like mobo replacements, drive replacements, software, that sort of thing, only the warranty stuff is really outsourced at the moment.

Sadly though, more and more Dells are being purchased

Cheers
&lt;edited cos I cant work UBB!&gt;

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: agentz ]
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2001, 09:37 AM

ISU actually has iMacs and Towers now.....or so ive heard...
4GB RAM
160GB

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 10:10 AM

Oh yeah,my school has compaqs.

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2001, 11:03 AM

Buncha wimps. My school had full-size Underwoods. Try schlepping one of those back and forth from home when it's 30 below, with no shoes, uphill, both ways.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2001, 05:34 AM

Try my school.

My school Recently my school spent over $30,000 Australian on upgrading the computer systems.

And what did they buy with that money pc's.

In my computers class we run old celeron 333 mhz.

In the Techincal drawing rooms 733mhz celerons.

What a waste of money wouldn't you say?

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Rob van dam ]
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

runenfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 06:57 AM

The schools are some of the best places to get more Macs. Its a matter of us coming together with some kind of grass roots effort to get it done. It seems that so many schools are buying Dells and Compaqs and the like because some IT guy who came over from a corporation wants to 'train the students'. They just dont understand education.

nana2
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 07:12 AM

Why not learn on the types of computers that they will use when they leave skool and get a job?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2001, 07:24 AM

Either way is fine. Learning one system does not hinder your ability to use other systems. I used pcs at school but now I'm working with macs. Sweet irony

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13
Oct 23, 2001, 07:31 AM

My school is a Mac school... the sysadmin is a Mac guy, mostly. A few PC's to appease certain faculties with Windows only software (the science department... gotta run their simulations on PC's...).

Ah well. Don't go there anymore though... anyone know the state of the computers at the main Universities in Sydney? Esp. UNSW, Sydney Uni and UTS?

Captain Pedantic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 07:39 AM

Agentz, which county are you in? My daughters go to school in West Lothian, (one primary, one secondary) and there seem to be more Macs than desks to put them on. Unfortunately, most of the teachers outside the ICT department still seem clueless about the Mac advantages.
Another godless, gunless European

nana2
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 08:07 AM

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 08:12 AM

Hey there Captain P. U got it, I'm in West Lothian all right.

I know what you mean about people outwith the ICT departments in schools not realising the benefits.

Within the Authority there are a number of people who are influential positions who are (or can be) very anti-Mac. They see our Apple machines as being almost a legacy from the Lothian Region days.

Within the support team there are a few of us who came from Mac backgrounds (me, who grew up in West Lothian going to one of the secondaries and using Macs since 1988), someone from another Authority and someone from a graphic design house. How come it just seems to be us three who can see the plus points. Mind you, there are minus points too.

Most of the Business Education departments are almost exclusively Dell, thre's only a couple left that aren't.

Primary schools in the area are still almost exclusively Mac based - we have said that there needs to be at least one or two Windows machines available for people to use.

The major point that we keep stressing is that it doesn't matter really what the OS is, most people only really care about the applications that run on top of it, whether it be MS Office, AppleWorks, Sherston educational software, whatever. We won't let schools buy a Mac or PC now without also purchasing an Office licence AND an AppleWorks licence.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules