Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mozilla Performance: OS X vs. X11

Mozilla Performance: OS X vs. X11
mrfett
Jul 8, 2002, 05:19 AM

I haven't tried Mozilla for OS X yet. Is it worth it? The X11 version is so fast, it's turning into my main browser. Is the speed as good in OS X?

P
Jul 8, 2002, 06:06 AM

Rendering-wise: yes. Responsiveness: no. But give it a shot to see if it's fast enough for you - Quartz text rendering is worth a lot of speed...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 06:44 AM

For me, Mach-O is really great. Worth a try.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 12:31 PM

join usssss....
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

mrfett  (op)
Jul 8, 2002, 01:19 PM

i tried it last night and wasn't as impressed. i'm still on X11 rootless. i liked the setup so much, i have xdarwin load at startup, and put mozilla in my .xinitrc (i'm about to include gtk-gnutella).

what's mach-o?

it'll be interesting to see what jaguar brings, speed-wise.

<small>[ 07-08-2002, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: mrfett ]</small>

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 02:01 PM

Isn't scrolling horribly slow for you with Mozilla under X11?

mrfett  (op)
Jul 8, 2002, 02:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bmedina:
<strong>Isn't scrolling horribly slow for you with Mozilla under X11?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">no, actually. it's just fine. i'm using mozilla 1.0.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 10:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mrfett:
<strong>what's mach-o?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's the newer brand of carbon that includes many unix under-the-hood improvements over the old CFM version. It's faster and uses less memory, but the interface is a bit lacking, as most keyboard shortcuts are broken. Also, the file picker for downloading is busted.

<a href="http://chimera.mozdev.org/" target="_blank">Chimera</a> uses Mach-O, though, and is looking to become an excellent "browser only" alternative to Mozilla. Chimera uses a native Cocoa toolbar and Cocoa preferences dialog. Plus, Chimera has working downloads (well, you have to right-click or option-click to get them started). If you're interested, I suggest you pick up the <a href="ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/nightly/latest-trunk/Chimera.dmg.gz" target="_blank">nightly build</a>.

I much prefer Chimera to plain-old Mach-O Mozilla.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

mrfett  (op)
Jul 9, 2002, 03:01 AM

so which one am i using? i got it from the unstable tree in fink and compiled it myself. i assume it's neither mach-o nor cfm, right? i visited the fizzilla page, but it gets a little confusing with all the different versions. is chimera part of the fizzilla thing?

P
Jul 9, 2002, 03:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starfleetX:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mrfett:
<strong>what's mach-o?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's the newer brand of carbon that includes many unix under-the-hood improvements over the old CFM version. It's faster and uses less memory, but the interface is a bit lacking, as most keyboard shortcuts are broken. Also, the file picker for downloading is busted.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">All correct wrt the program Mach-O Mozilla. Mach-O itself is the native linker format of Mac OS X. There's still support for the older PPC Mac OS 9 format called CFM, but that is via a shim program "LaunchCFMApp" - a Mach-O program that can read CFM. Using this shim is slower than using the native format, but it is nonetheless common.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules