Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Low performance- is it my RAM?

Low performance- is it my RAM?
Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2004, 04:27 PM

I just got a new PB and although it has been awesome so far I notice that sometimes it is a little sluggish. It is a 15" 1.3GHz G4 with 256MB RAM and the stock 4200rpm HD.

Sometimes it takes a long time to open applications, I note that there is a lot of HD thrashing when I do so. I assume that this is because the HD is being used as virtual memory?

Also sometimes scrolling in Safari is choppy (i.e. I will hit the space bar and the page will be choppy as it scrolls down to the next page) but only when there are a lot of graphics to display.

Then once I was listening to music in iTunes and I resized my Safari window and the music skipped as if the computer was not powerful enough to handle playing mp3s and redraw the Safari window at the same time.

And then once I was playing one of the GarageBand demo songs and I tried to resize Garageband and it stopped the music saying there were not enough resources to play back the audio in real time.

Are these performance issues due to the low 256MB RAM I have installed? I ordered a 1GB stick from Outpost.com before my PB arrived hoping it would get here on time but it is on backorder so I have to wait a little longer until it arrives. Will these performance issues go away when it does come and I have 1.125GB ram?

Thanks

Ruahrc

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 04:30 PM

I'd definately add some more RAM. Especially if you run more than, say, one application.

Voch

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 04:46 PM

It is your ram. Your model Powerbook should be able to blast through the tasks you described. You should see massive improvements once your ram gets there.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 04:49 PM

well, first check your energy settings. i usually just leave itat automatic or customize my own. i'm sure "highest battery life" will impact performance.

my sister's ibook never did that and her's is only a 1GHz, 256MB, 32VRAM machine. she added more RAM for kicks though
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules