Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cingular discontinued the t637... now what?

Cingular discontinued the t637... now what?
Avenir
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 05:20 PM

Ok, I apologize for another cell phone thread.

I'm 4 days away from being done with my Verizon contract. While I haven't really had any complaints with them, their phones are sadly lacking Bluetooth and I've heard great things about Cingular. 2 months ago I was all set on picking up a t637, but apparently it has been discontinued.... sooo, does anyone have any opinions on the new cool phones from Cingular.

I've done some digging, and am looking at a couple Nokia's... they're the smallest and have bluetooth it seems, and those are my two main qualities.

So, I know there was a decent following of the 637 on this forum (especially Skywalker), and I wondered if there might be any great alternatives...

Thanks in advance

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 05:32 PM

I have one and it rocks. Cingular still shows it on their website as available for $99.

But if you'd like I'll sell you mine so I can get the S710.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
I have one and it rocks. Cingular still shows it on their website as available for $99.

But if you'd like I'll sell you mine so I can get the S710.
I'd love the s710... it's a little too fat for me, and obviously out of budget, but if I run into a free one, I'll take it.

as for the 637, I didn't see it on their site, but maybe I need to dig more. (wrong zip code?)

edit: you're right, it's still there (i changed my zip from hawaii to indiana, where I am now)... I guess if I order it online it doesn't matter what the zip is.

so you all think i should still stick with the 637? nothing awesome and new coming out?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 05:37 PM

It could be a zip code thing. It is still showing up for the Northern VA area though. It also says you can call their 800 number to order it...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 05:37 PM

i bought mine a couple of months ago through letstalk.com

even though i'm in cali, cingular wasn't offering the t637 in my area so i couldn't get it direct... weird.

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
i bought mine a couple of months ago through letstalk.com

even though i'm in cali, cingular wasn't offering the t637 in my area so i couldn't get it direct... weird.

how's it work buying a phone through another site, then adding it to my carrier? I'm assuming not too much of a pain in the ass.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 05:51 PM

if you're switching to cingular from another carrier, it's pretty simple. you buy the phone and the service agreement at the same time through the vendor, then the vendor mails you the phone in a couple of days and sets up your account with cingular for you. then you're good to go.

if you want to keep your existing number, they can port that over for you as well.

i was a little leery about it at first, so i called and asked them a shitload of questions. they seemed on the ball, so i went ahead with it b/c the phone was so cheap w/ rebates. in the end, i was pretty happy with their service and how quickly they got everything set up.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 05:58 PM

I bought the T637 on attws.com back in Oct, '04. It was the time (near) when AT&T merged with Cingular and the K7xx series was landed. I got it for $29.99 (no mail-in rebate) with 1-yr contract.

I was curious last week and checked out those cell phone recycle website. My T637 was about $70 if I sent it to them. Then, I went to Cingular.com and looked for new phone or any upgrade. I noticed that they didn't allow me to upgrade the phone. The S710 is just way out of my budget.

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:33 PM

the deal on let's talk looks great, seems like it would work... always thought I had to get the contract straight through Cingular, this is a bit cheaper.

anyone had any experience with the Siemens S66? looks pretty cool... but the 637 still beats it on size, and that's what I really want

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

You've heard great things about Cingular? I've never heard anything but bad stuff about them.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
You've heard great things about Cingular? I've never heard anything but bad stuff about them.
their customer service hasn't been that great in my experience. after the AT&T merger, it doesn't seem like everyone is on the same page.

the service area has been WAY better than what i had with sprint...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
their customer service hasn't been that great in my experience. after the AT&T merger, it doesn't seem like everyone is on the same page.

the service area has been WAY better than what i had with sprint...
Well yeah... Two cans and a string would be better than Sprint.

But I'm completely spoiled in terms of support. I'm routinely on the phone with T-Mobile's corporate customer care, and let me tell you they know how to treat you right; they're actualy enjoyable to deal with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules