Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why is iWork '06 so HUGE?

Why is iWork '06 so HUGE?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 01:57 PM

I have iWork '06 on my iMac, and was about to put it on my iBook (which has iWork '05), when I realised the size difference! iWork '05 is approx 350 MB, whereas '06 is 1.8 GB!!! On an iBook with only a 30 gig HD, thats a pretty big chunk.

Is it because of the whole universal binary thing that the app has to have code for both processors?, because iWork '06 doesn't seem to have THAT many more features to warrent it being almost 1.5 GB more than '05.

Just wondering, thats all...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2006, 02:12 PM

It has nothing to do with Universal Binaries. It's the themes and stuff that Apple installs and often times they install the same stuff for each supported language. In iWork for example instead of sharing the demo images inside the templates between languages (they are all the same after all), they are duplicated x-times.

Mainly I think they do it to give the user the impression that there is good value for the money ("Wow this app is 5 GB – I really got a lot for $79!") Corel used to be the master of this marketing scheme, but I guess now it's Apple.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
It has nothing to do with Universal Binaries. It's the themes and stuff that Apple installs and often times they install the same stuff for each supported language. In iWork for example instead of sharing the demo images inside the templates between languages (they are all the same after all), they are duplicated x-times.
Since the templates are duplicated x-times, would it be OK or make sense, or even work for that matter, to use an app like Delocalizer to remove all the (unwanted) foreign languages and in that way remove the duplicated templates?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 03:47 PM

The new HD themes are huge, so that adds some space as well.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 04:05 PM

I mentioned this in another thread ...

Run Monolingual on it all. Remove * but English.
Run all of your apps through TrimTheFat. 40% of iTunes' size was attributed to the x86 binary code. I'm sure iLife will be similar.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2006, 05:25 PM

Tomchu, Thanks! That answers that!
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 05:53 PM

Why go to all that bother? Just go to your Applications folder, click once on the app (eg: Pages), go Apple - I (Get Info) and at the bottom of the screen scroll to languages. There you can click on all the language files you don't need and hit the remove button.

It's that simple.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 06:07 PM

It's better to do it with Monolingual because it searches every single directory on your boot volume for any trace of localizations -- that includes frameworks, plugins, etc. along with applications. That, and you can do it all in one go, whereas the Get Info method only works for a single app at a time.

In any case, that's a neat trick. Is that a new addition in 10.4.4?

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 07:09 PM

neat! now does this only get rid of the version of the app that is in that language or does it get rid of everything like all foreign language characters, accent marks, and all the info as far as editing...like, if I use word and write up a paper i French or Italian, will it still be able to do spell check and stuff like that for that language or will all that info be gone? I am running the progrma now but i UNCHECKED all the foreign languages that I type in.....i do NOT however, use any programs IN a foreign language.....
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 08:07 PM

"Localization" information is graphics/strings/help/documentation in a particular language -- "localized" for your area.

It won't remove things like Italian/French grammar checkers in Word, because that's not so much localization information as it is just a database in a proprietary format somewhere in your Office directory.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
"Localization" information is graphics/strings/help/documentation in a particular language -- "localized" for your area.

It won't remove things like Italian/French grammar checkers in Word, because that's not so much localization information as it is just a database in a proprietary format somewhere in your Office directory.
I use Delocalizer but decided to give Monolingual a try.

It cleaned off an additional 565K. (Some of that was removing Swedish from Monolingual.)

I have 87 apps on my PB.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
Why go to all that bother? Just go to your Applications folder, click once on the app (eg: Pages), go Apple - I (Get Info) and at the bottom of the screen scroll to languages. There you can click on all the language files you don't need and hit the remove button.

It's that simple.
I did that. Ran Delocalizer afterwards and cleaned off about 450MB. This was after installing iLife and iWork.

Does unclicking them really delete them or is Delocalizer misreporting?

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
I did that. Ran Delocalizer afterwards and cleaned off about 450MB. This was after installing iLife and iWork.

Does unclicking them really delete them or is Delocalizer misreporting?

You don't unclick them in the Info window, you highlight them and hit the "remove" button to remove them permanently.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
You don't unclick them in the Info window, you highlight them and hit the "remove" button to remove them permanently.
Yeah, I said that wrong. I highlighted everything except English (which I remember as gray because it is my selected language) and then removed them.

I ran DeLocalizer last night and it found more stuff. I am going to run it again. It seems to always find something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules